How often should I add blood & bone to the soil?

Phillybonker

On the bag it says to add blood & bone every 6-8 weeks. Should I add blood & bone every 6 weeks or more frequently?,  I want to get the plants as big as possible but I don't want to cause nute burn. 

Each plant also has 60 litres of compost which also includes an unknown (but probably only a small) amount of NPK.

Edited by Phillybonker
  • Like 1

You should let  amendments sit like in the soil for a few months before planting, so, only once. It takes a fair while for stuff like that to be broken down enough for plants to use.  but I'm guessing. The soil boys will know. I believe, from reading, that allowing sufficient cooking is important.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

You should let  amendments sit like in the soil for a few months before planting, so, only once. It takes a fair while for stuff like that to be broken down enough for plants to use.  but I'm guessing. The soil boys will know. I believe, from reading, that allowing sufficient cooking is important.

I was told on another thread that blood meal takes a couple of weeks to be available and bone meal takes 2-3 months to become available.  So the blood meal (nitrogen) will be available now and bone meal (phosphorus) will be available in a couple of months.  Lucky I banged down lots of compost to make up for any feeding mistakes I make.

Ive given my girls at the moment a small amount, i think it was 30g-50g of blood and bone meal, 2nd week of flower.

Last grow i did the same and the girls loved it.

For me it appeared to take 2-3 weeks before it started to really become available.

I do have a healthy soil teeming with tiny living things though and that is the key to quick and efficient nutrient conversion and uptake.

My understanding with dry amendments is it is more difficult to overdo it, as the plant takes what it needs from the soil.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Thai Stick said:

My understanding with dry amendments is it is more difficult to overdo it, as the plant takes what it needs from the soil.

That is also my understanding.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...but as I currently understand it, the plants pull carbon from the air and offer it to the soil microbes in exchange for nitrogen that the soil microbes process from the blood meal.  This process is apparently called carbon currency.  The plants have to work for their food and they won't work any harder than they need to.  This mitigates overfeeding.

20 hours ago, Phillybonker said:

On the bag it says to add blood & bone every 6-8 weeks. Should I add blood & bone every 6 weeks or more frequently?,  I want to get the plants as big as possible but I don't want to cause nute burn. 

Each plant also has 60 litres of compost which also includes an unknown (but probably only a small) amount of NPK.

does the bag say the number of grams per liter soil ?

bloodmeal is N

Bone meal is P

NP IS GROW

K IS BLOOM

Your missing K.........

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DutchFox said:

does the bag say the number of grams per liter soil ?

bloodmeal is N

Bone meal is P

NP IS GROW

K IS BLOOM

Your missing K.........

100g/sqm

Yep I know I'm missing K, that's where potash comes into play.

I add a small bag of each to each plant.................Probably 6 cups or more of each,  mixed in with soil.

Both are used by plants at different times through the season so you won't likely need to add more that you did at the start.

They are amendment after all and reg soil has what you need.

• Like 1

Just now, gb1 said:

I add a small bag of each to each plant.................Probably 6 cups or more of each,  mixed in with soil.

Both are used by plants at different times through the season so you won't likely need to add more that you did at the start.

They are amendment after all and reg soil has what you need.

Good points.