is it ok to mix 50/50 tap/reverse osmosis water?

mysticriver

The title says it all really - 

Those really observant will notice that im asking this question as my tap water is @ 670PPM/0.6ec(+) -And that we've been having a discussion/thread about these things over on another topic, the name escapes me right now...

On my 4th grow, 2.5 weeks in, im noting a deficiency. Haven't decided yet if its Mg or Ca... (its probably Ca)

Ive switched my feed over to coco-specific nutes on this one. Had deficiency problems in the other grows with the old non-coco nutes. Even with CalMag.

So with these new nutes, the CalMag option is open to me again. Which I gave at 0.5ml/l last night.

However with my water being hard-as-nails, and it seems from the water quality report that the water company provides - the Ca/Mg ratio is off anyways -

my question 'is it OK to mix tap water to 50% r/o water? Maybe that could bring the tap water down to 'hard' levels

mysticriver 

Edited by mysticriver

That's exactly what I do, I discussed it with Intense Nutrients too and they agreed with doing it.

Mine is about the same EC as yours so I mix it 50:50 with RO but that still leaves the Ca:Mg ratio off so I add some Epsom salts too. I add 200mg of Epsom salts per litre which I calculated from the water quality report.

I wouldn't add any more Calmag if I was you, that's only going to make it worse.

Edited by latigid aikon
calmag

3 hours ago, latigid aikon said:

That's exactly what I do, I discussed it with Intense Nutrients too and they agreed with doing it.

Mine is about the same EC as yours so I mix it 50:50 with RO but that still leaves the Ca:Mg ratio off so I add some Epsom salts too. I add 200mg of Epsom salts per litre which I calculated from the water quality report.

I wouldn't add any more Calmag if I was you, that's only going to make it worse.

Yeah I know what u mean with adding the cal mag and making it worse, but what am I to do?

if I 50/50 the tap to RO water, that leaves the ratio still. The ppm would be around 340. Do I calmag it to 0.4ec?

Or, I have Severn Trent water - their (technical department) have said on the phone to someone else on the other thread that the Ca:Mg ratio is 5:3.

I can’t remember them having specific values for Ca and Mg listed on their water quality report on the ST website, but with that, I’m eager to try the Epsom salts. And the 50/50 tap/RO water mixing.

Do you think that 200Mg Epsom salts per litre of Mixed 50/50 water would be a correct dose in my case?

mysticriver 

58 minutes ago, mysticriver said:

Do you think that 200Mg Epsom salts per litre of Mixed 50/50 water would be a correct dose in my case?

No, my ratio was much worse than yours if I recall correctly, you'll probably need less Epsom salts in 50:50 RO/tap.

It's hard to say what you need without knowing the exact numbers, I don't think you can calculate the actual Ca and Mg content from their ratio and the EC because the EC includes other minerals too.

I just had a look at a Severn Trent report for a random DE55 postcode and it lists all sorts of stuff but not the Ca or Mg which is crazy, it's not just us that needs to know. Phone them up and tell them you keep fish or something, they must know the actual numbers if they know the ratio.

17 hours ago, latigid aikon said:

No, my ratio was much worse than yours if I recall correctly, you'll probably need less Epsom salts in 50:50 RO/tap.

It's hard to say what you need without knowing the exact numbers, I don't think you can calculate the actual Ca and Mg content from their ratio and the EC because the EC includes other minerals too.

I just had a look at a Severn Trent report for a random DE55 postcode and it lists all sorts of stuff but not the Ca or Mg which is crazy, it's not just us that needs to know. Phone them up and tell them you keep fish or something, they must know the actual numbers if they know the ratio.

I added Epsom salts @ 200ml/l last night, but I need to have a look today at the best mix of tap:ro, as I dont think that 50:50 is enough, maybe 2:1. As I noticed that the PPM of the ro seemed too high, but didn't have enough time last night to mess about with it any further than mixing the water 1:1 and adding the epsom salt.

Of 6 girls, 2 have issues, and I reckon its just a matter of time before the others do.

And yes ill have a word with severn Trent, to get some values for Ca & Mg. like you say, its harder to know where to start without an idea of the values. im moving from here soon but I still want to know for this grow.

mysticriver 

3 minutes ago, mysticriver said:

As I noticed that the PPM of the ro seemed too high

Sounds like your RO filter isn't working? It should be close to zero.

2 minutes ago, latigid aikon said:

Sounds like your RO filter isn't working? It should be close to zero.

I know im gonna take a look later

mysticriver 

• Like 1