Root riot issue

threewisemonkeys

Anyone know why this is happening to my girls, from what I can tell it’s pot luck but very annoying as it happens at about 2-3 weeks into veg and eventually die :wallbash: they’re not getting wet at the bottom of the plant so any ideas what this could be?

large.0B0162D5-B0D2-4EFA-95CC-CB6796B40E8A.jpeg

the stem narrows where it goes into the cube, which is a sign of earlier damping off.

the cube should also be buried because they go solid if they dry out. 

id bin the cubes and just plant straight into the soil in future

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 5

Sorry but what does damping off mean?

Yeah I’ve been thinking of going straight into soil, just not been brave enough 

Thank you 

Edited by threewisemonkeys

I thought damping-off was something that happened to over watered seedlings but interesting to learn that it can happen to more mature plants too.  Never tried those riot cubes, rather potted up in small pots of soil and can't complain about the results so far.  Just use any light mix.

• Like 1

well damping off is the wrong term, but it looks the same. the stem narrowing where it enters the cube.

damping off if a fungal infection affecting seedlings where the stem rots grom ground level downwards, usually due to over watering. rockwool is a favourite for killing off seedlings this way

im thinking maybe to cube drying out on top has constricted the stem from growing as thickly as it should.

dont be afraid of planting straight into soil, just stick the seed about10mm down into damp soil and leave it. 

i believe the lack of restriction to the growing root is beneficial, compared to cubes

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 4

If t'was wetter on top now ,there may be damping off ,mould . It looks like it's dried out ,perhaps the soil was stagnant and wet for too long ,not a lot of airflow maybe . It's phytophtora , soil bore fungi . Sometime ,even long tome growers (me) leave cuts in a bag too long ,too wet ,no air and they rot ! 

Maybe pull a plant up ,riddle out some compost and see ,first check though are they light ? If not do an autopsy ,maybe the roots need air . Hard to tell ,but you might be killing them with kindness .Overwatering will give similar symptoms to underwatering and sometimes compost is heavy so hard to guage if the root ball need much water . 

• Like 4

Did you put the cube straight into that massive pot ? Over watering is really easy when you put a tiny plant in a huge pot. +1 for sacking off the cubes. 

Here's a couple of videos from people who know far more than me. 

ATB

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

The cube is ment to be buried under the soil level or level with the soil, when i do mine i tent to bury them deep due to stretch, the stem will form roots on the buried section, personally i would top up your soil level, at least level with cube,you could carefully trim the bit that stick out above soil line (avoiding stem!) @badbillybob said it up top, due to drying it has turned to concrete consistence nd will constrict them/stem.

• Like 2
On 11/18/2021 at 10:16 PM, badbillybob said:

the stem narrows where it goes into the cube, which is a sign of earlier damping off.

the cube should also be buried because they go solid if they dry out. 

id bin the cubes and just plant straight into the soil in future

this is whats happened to me at the moment but the plants are a good ft tall but i only got them under a 200W CFL. i haven't set the tent up yet. and i was going to put them into a NFT TRAY is it worth growing them on or would i be better off binning them and starting again. ferret

I have no idea why it happens, sometimes it does sometimes it doesn’t, are you also using root riot? 

I’m about to crack a few beans, I’m going with the paper towel method and then straight into soil, will see if this makes a difference, how long would one soak between said paper towels?

• Like 1

It's nowt to do with the root cubes mate. 

Buy a rose head for your watering can. You have created essentially a ditch all around your pot so when you water it will naturally try to find a path down the bottom. Leaving your sides unwatered. 

Plants fill pots with roots and then the trench starts diverting water away from the edges. 

Fiver says your roots are brown and dried out. Just a hunch. Not got much to go on here

• Like 4
1 hour ago, threewisemonkeys said:

I have no idea why it happens, sometimes it does sometimes it doesn’t, are you also using root riot? 

I’m about to crack a few beans, I’m going with the paper towel method and then straight into soil, will see if this makes a difference, how long would one soak between said paper towels?

till thetap rootcomes out to play. then bury them 5-10mm into the (moist) soil

• Like 1
5 hours ago, the ferret said:

this is whats happened to me at the moment but the plants are a good ft tall but i only got them under a 200W CFL. i haven't set the tent up yet. and i was going to put them into a NFT TRAY is it worth growing them on or would i be better off binning them and starting again. ferret

to be honest , i would change the light to something worthwhile. this may sound harsh, but ive grown under CFLs and its just not worthwhile if im brutally honest. get yourself a cheap HPS if you have to, it will make a world of difference. 

and yes,start over

• Like 2
4 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

It's nowt to do with the root cubes mate. 

Buy a rose head for your watering can. You have created essentially a ditch all around your pot so when you water it will naturally try to find a path down the bottom. Leaving your sides unwatered. 

Plants fill pots with roots and then the trench starts diverting water away from the edges. 

Fiver says your roots are brown and dried out. Just a hunch. Not got much to go on here

fine point BPB most people I know iv watched water there plants like that. Iv said get a fine as rain rose one of the first things I learnt off OT1 articles on cannabase was watering using fine rose on your can it’s pinned on this site too read

TS

• Like 1
4 hours ago, badbillybob said:

to be honest , i would change the light to something worthwhile. this may sound harsh, but ive grown under CFLs and its just not worthwhile if im brutally honest. get yourself a cheap HPS if you have to, it will make a world of difference. 

and yes,start over

thanks for that badbillybob when the tent goes up they be going under a 600w HPS

• Like 3