Bonasi in coco coir nutrients

Slippy One

Hi, what does everyone use for their bansai's? I've been using Vitalink A&B hard water edition with added mono mg every other day with good results in coco. Was wondering what others use?

I'd like to know if there's a single part nutrient (no A&B) that would be recommended? My mums are watered by hand run to waste, occasionally fed from a reservoir while away for a few weeks, so need to be stable and non organic to avoid sludge in the res. 

• Like 1

I’ve used Maxigro powder for seedling pot sized mothers that are properly rootbound , works ok for me . As did flora nova grow by the same company also single part .:oldtoker:  Metrop do a mother specific feed called MAM personally I didn’t get on with the rest of programme they suggested 

Edited by Arthur Mix
Add
  • Like 2

Wow powder nutes for coco? That sounds easy as hell, although you say flora nova also is single part? Must admit, I like the sound of a mother specific feed, I'll be researching this tonight.. thanks for the recommendations. :yep:

On 13/11/2021 at 4:36 PM, Slippy One said:

using Vitalink A&B hard water edition with added mono mg every other day with good results in coco.

hi mate just a quick question really, ive been struggling with Mg deficiencies in coco with vitalink hard water a&b - im assuming you mean the vitalink hydroMax range?              [*EDIT - No u prob mean the coco hard water I didn't know they did hard and soft for coco. But I still would like to know more about the mono Mg]

My query is more on the added mono Mg, we currently have a discussion about this subject on this thread  index.php

So I used vitalink for 3 grows, had deficiency's in them all and so just switched over to shogun coco a&b. 2 weeks in on my 4th.

how did you use the mono Mg? im with severn Trent water which is very hard at ~600PPM+/0.6ec at the tap.

basically how much mono Mg do you use and what's ur water like etc

mysticriver 

Edited by mysticriver
EDIT
  • Like 1

@mysticriverI had the help of @Oldbearwho recommended 1.6ml/L (lots) after seeing my Thames Water sample from 2019 was a cal:mag ratio of 19:1, which I believe was way off the 3:1 ratio that plants like. Saying that, it’s probably still too much cal. Being cautious, I added the mono Mg at around 1/3 recommended dose (5ml/10L bucket), and saw a minor improvement but nothing amazing. Don’t forget that a water sample from 2019 isn’t very accurate so if in doubt, opt for the £30 Growers Ark water test to see if you need tailor made nutrients. Hope this helps, it’s always a process of elimination. lol 

Edited by Slippy One
  • Like 2
18 hours ago, Slippy One said:

@mysticriverI had the help of @Oldbearwho recommended 1.6ml/L (lots) after seeing my Thames Water sample from 2019 was a cal:mag ratio of 19:1, which I believe was way off the 3:1 ratio that plants like. Saying that, it’s probably still too much cal. Being cautious, I added the mono Mg at around 1/3 recommended dose (5ml/10L bucket), and saw a minor improvement but nothing amazing. Don’t forget that a water sample from 2019 isn’t very accurate so if in doubt, opt for the £30 Growers Ark water test to see if you need tailor made nutrients. Hope this helps, it’s always a process of elimination. lol 

how much is the mono Mg and where do u get it from

mysticriver

On 13/11/2021 at 4:36 PM, Slippy One said:

Hi, what does everyone use for their bansai's?

In coco use canna A+B at a ec no higher than 1.2 for guaranteed success.:skin_up: 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Slippy One said:

@mysticriverI use the 1L Canna bottle, or you could use Epsom salts. I find the liquid mono mg easier to dose the water. :yep:

how do you use it bro?

because last night I noticed 3 of 6 girls (at approx 2.5wks from seed - autos) had what I think is the start of Mg deficiency.

So I have given them 0.5ml/l CalMag. Its the calmag I have to try first as I have just switched my feed over from this grow, to shogun coco nutrients. [before I was using vitalink hydro nutes. I had deficiency's]

The mono Mg is something I may have to try if the calmag shows no improvement.

how long should it take to clear a deficiency using calmag?

and how would I use the mono Mg?

mysticriver

12 hours ago, mysticriver said:

how long should it take to clear a deficiency using calmag?

and how would I use the mono Mg?

One advantage with coco/hydro is you shouls start to see improvements within a day.

Not sure adding calmag is the magic bullet, the relationship between the ratio is complex. Too much of one cancels out the other to an extent. Basically, if your Cal/Mag ratio is 19:1 like my 2019 Thames test, adding more calmag won't fix it. Mono mg was def an improvement for me, but I use it sparingly. Hoping @Oldbear can shed more light on this, as he's one of the more clued-up cats on this mg topic. :yep:

Another variable is how old is your water report (mine was 3+ years old). If you don't know your ratio from the your tap, you'll need to experiment but go lightly on the mg, a grower knows when the plants look happier.  :D 

It's cheap too, did I mention that? Mono mg was £11/L at my local, you canm even use it in the bath! lol

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Slippy One said:

One advantage with coco/hydro is you shouls start to see improvements within a day.

Not sure adding calmag is the magic bullet, the relationship between the ratio is complex. Too much of one cancels out the other to an extent. Basically, if your Cal/Mag ratio is 19:1 like my 2019 Thames test, adding more calmag won't fix it. Mono mg was def an improvement for me, but I use it sparingly. Hoping @Oldbear can shed more light on this, as he's one of the more clued-up cats on this mg topic. :yep:

Another variable is how old is your water report (mine was 3+ years old). If you don't know your ratio from the your tap, you'll need to experiment but go lightly on the mg, a grower knows when the plants look happier.  :D 

It's cheap too, did I mention that? Mono mg was £11/L at my local, you canm even use it in the bath! lol

I added Epsom salts last night, but I need to have a look today at the best mix of tap:ro, as I dont think that 50:50 is enough, maybe 2:1. As I noticed that the PPM of the ro seemed too high, but didn't have enough time last night to mess about with it any further than mixing the water 1:1 and adding 200mg/l epsom salt.

Of 6 girls, 2 have issues, and I reckon its just a matter of time before the others do.

mysticriver 

Sorry, I thought you were just using tap, ro water throws a spanner in the works. Good luck on the toxicity/deficiency thing, it's just a process of elimination but adding variables like ro water might take longer to figure out the solution. 

I'm sure many small indoor growers use ro water, might be wrong.. 

On 20/11/2021 at 1:18 PM, Slippy One said:

figure out the solution.

I might have sorted it - its the canna mono calcium that ill be adding to just tap water tonight.

Ive tagged u on the other thread. thanks for ur input..

mysticriver 

On 23/11/2021 at 10:19 AM, mysticriver said:

might have sorted it

It might be the Ca:Mg ratio that is out of whack in the tap water supply.

Trying to fix it

In the meantime, they are on RO water that is brought to 0.4ec with calmag - And im thinking they can stay on the RO, as im on my 4th grow and im sick of the sickness in my plants (previously and on this one too) 'Oh the deficiencys and the pale green colour in the leaves that is off-green, not the lush dark green's that im seeing in other peoples ladies and seed strain pictures... - I want my green greener dammit! Them staying on RO water would surely clear the paleness in the plants and give me that dark green leaf and plant. 

Sure, it has still managed to make decent bud, but they obviously struggled to do it. 

mysticriver