Smell reduction

Bad-Eend

On 9-11-2021 at 1:03 PM, Bad-Eend said:

@DutchFox

My tent is underpressure, I have no (hardly any) smell at the end of my exchoustpipe with inlline filter.... its the other side and front of the tent...these sides are bulging in as: underpressure

i think you do not have an inline filter....  google it in growshops...

if you want to have a filter outside your growroom/tent.....you can have:  tent-hose-inlinefilter-hose-fan-hose....blows in growroom area or outside air.

i think you have : tent-hose-fan-hose-filter

true ?

Edited by DutchFox

Recirculating the air in an old breezy terraced was never going to work. All your doing is moving the air from point A to point B and then back to point A. Youre just moving the same air through the filter over and over, and with your room being not at all sealed its no wonder it stinks - im surprised the walls and windows aren't dripping and going mouldy. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GSZZ said:

Recirculating the air in an old breezy terraced was never going to work. All your doing is moving the air from point A to point B and then back to point A. Youre just moving the same air through the filter over and over, and with your room being not at all sealed its no wonder it stinks - im surprised the walls and windows aren't dripping and going mouldy. 

yes true but topicstarter said its a small tent.....so that could work with a window open every now and then...

but what is the current temp and humidity in the grow space and in the area where the tent is..?...

high humidity and good filtering dont get along...

@stu915 OK thats roughly double for what I paid for mine @bilgepump that might be about what I paid for mine @kc yep but you pay for them

Now if you say 3 years..... how many grows / what amount of plants /what volume grow area are we talking... I presume id you go from a 2x4 tent to a 4x4 and double your plants you reduce the lifetime of your filter?

How long does a filter last (the current one is only in use since January

• Like 1

Just now, Bad-Eend said:

OK thats roughly double for what I paid for mine

Buy cheap buy twice in this game bud, could well be the reason for the smell...what make of filter have you got?

• Like 1

After reading what you have put you are clearly not getting a smell leak from the tent side of the fan as you describe negative pressure which means even if there are any holes that side then the air will be going into them and not out of them.

on the other hand if your blowing out through the filter then first thing I would do would be to inspect and seals and hose that goes between the fan and the filter. This is the part that would be in positive pressure and if any air is coming out there then it would be pre filter air and would smell just like the tent. 

if everything is sealed then buy a better filter. You never mentioned what brand filter you have. I have the cheap ones, fox and rhino. I also have a rhino hobbie in the drobe and pro in the tent. The pro is relatively new but the hobbie one is over a year old. There’s been about 5 grows in it by the plants have been various sizes so I couldn’t do a number per filter. 

best I can say is that a hobby filter has done 40cmx60cm canopy area for 12 months but 4 where veg months so about 8 flower months. I’ll be replacing it after the next grow so that will be about 10 months flower.

my tent is 80x80 so not quite twice the size. It has a pro of the same size. I would expect that to last about ten months of flowering on that size canopy. 

I think your expecting us to say “don’t worry mate it’s not you” but if you can smell it two floors down then your neighbour will too. Best just check and replace. Be safe not sorry. 

Edited by Whatwentwrong

On 10-11-2021 at 9:08 PM, Bad-Eend said:

How long does a filter last (the current one is only in use since January

for a cheap filter not bad at all......

there is no easy anser for this one....if it smells...replace it...

high humidity runes a filter too....so in veg with clones ....its better to not filter air....if possible in your grow area....

too manny variables...

Edited by DutchFox

Had smell leaks myself over the last couple if years, I've been using Rhino Pro's exclusively. The problem with them came about when quality testing moved elsewhere and lots of containers full of the filters weren't upto scratch, quality checking has moved back in house niw I believe. Some I've had have had issues, others have been fine for many grows. However, with these filters I ditch them after 12 months regardless and won't be using them going forward. 

It sound's like you have a smell leak, as everyone else has already said it's either you're filter, connections or the ducting has holes somewhere. Fix it or take you're chances. Personally, the moment I get a smell leak and I can smell it outside I assume someone else has clocked it and reported it and I take everything down and lay fallow for a while. Excessive maybe, my choice. If you're neighbour has mentioned it the likely hood is he knows the vicinity its coming from, you need to do something about sooner rather than later. And I'm not a fan of having the filter outside the tent either if there's a chink in the armour befire the filter it'll smell. But then i use a filter on both ends these days anyway, more stress on fan yup but i expect premium fans to be able to cope with it a bit better and i have spares so fuck it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Agreed rhino pros went down the shit tube around 2015 use can filters now but used hobby’s on a couple throw up grows there sweet on odour control just don’t Last as long but better than the pros. Look at the hydro mag test hobby’s pissed the pros in the test lollol Can all the way