Seed production

I hope I’m not stepping into no-no territory here, and forgive me if I am, but I have a question regarding seed production. Let me start by stating that I am in NZ, and seeds are less likely to get here than most other countries so it seems.

So, I thought that it would be best to order just regular seeds and first, breed male/female to obtain a few years of seeds of a particular strain. The thing is, many of the “WOW” strains seems to be offered in feminised only versions. My question I guess, is can you somehow breed from this basis? I mean either turn one of them male, or just try and cross them with a regular strain?

Is this frowned upon by the seed companies, or is it even possible?

• Like 1

You can cross a feminised girl with a regular boy. That is fine in a pinch. Dont worry about the original breeders. They won't be arsed about you.

Word of advice. Don't get too hung up on wow strains and hype. Most of the fem "wow" strains are just Spanish bulk seed or massive melting pots of shite and aren't good breeding material anyway, they arenjsut cashing in on names.

• Like 10

okay... thanks. 

But seriously, all those wonderfull looking pics on the many seedbank sites, they are just hype? Ive spent hours drooling over those ladies, going through the writeups and making a short list.... now i feel like ive been duped by a "dating" site!:blushing:

Edited by Saxguy
  • Like 4

Well of course they usuallyshow their best phenos in the best light from the best grow, but eh... :)

TO MAKE MORE SEEDS FROM FEMINISED STOCK
You can use colloidal silver spray to turn a branch of a feminised plant male, then collect the pollen and use it to fertilise the same plant or others in the tent.  Then you get more feminised seed of that variety once they have matured.

All you need to do is spray the branch with colloidal silver every day, from flowering onwards, until the male flowers appear and start to open, to release their pollen.  Put a baggie over the pollen laden bud and shake it to collect it.  Discard the branch the pollen came from (it is thought that inhaling vapours of colloidal silver impregnated vegetation is harmful to your health) and use the pollen to fertilise the buds you want to produce seed.

Make sure you let the pollinated plants completely finish up once they are fertilised, so that you get mature, healthy seeds and Bob's your uncle.

I did this to make more Royal Dward seed.  They're tiny plants which I find lovely to smoke, but I didn't want to have to pay for another batch when I already had enough to breed from :)

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 3

Unfortunately the hype and bullshit is worse than ever in the Cannabis industry, and there was me thinking legalisation in the US would be an improvement :doh:. In general if someone is making a big song and dance about their genetics I tend to give them a wide berth, as with everything in life the true leaders don't claw for attention. 

Plenty of brilliant regular outdoor seeds from the likes of Real Gorilla Seeds, Nordic Genetics, Gnomes Garden, Pro Seeds, KC brains etc, and they don't hype/bullshit/over price their strains. 

• Like 1

Consider it this way regarding "wow" strains.   Someone churns out a bunch of seeds.  thousands and thousands and thousands of seeds.  They plant 500 of them.  out of those 500, they pick the most bonkers looking one and pay a professional photographer to bring in lights and all his gear and take 200 photos of the one plant.  Then the photographer goes home, sorts through the 200 photos, picks the best one and then kicks it into photoshop and edits the dogshit out of it.  So now the seed people have a $1000 photo of one single plant that's been edited to shit to make it appear magical.   It's the same thing as instagram photos.  I'm not saying this factually happens in the cannabis world, but it happens everywhere else. You really think all those super models have perfect skin all over their entire body, no cellulite, perfectly equal sized breasts etc?   

Perfect sells.  It also makes society's expectations delusional and the reality of reality gets pretty muddy. I've seen photos on seed sites of dope plants that are fucking electric blue.  I'm not some 50 year growing veteran, but I ain't NEVER seen an electric blue dope plant.  

There's also a chance that the photo you're being shown isn't even the strain you're buying at all.

Big operations with silly names and art departments that create packaging are here to make big money.  It's a business. 

If you want to make your own seed stock, you can always force the female into making female pollen ( google "cannabis Silver Thiosulfate"  I've had really bad luck with Colloidal Silver but STS worked the first try) and let it self-pollenate.  This will generate a S1 generation seed, but you may (Maybe not? this is just as I understand it) see variances as compared to the original mother.  Never smoke any plant material that has come into contact with Colloidal Silver or Silver Thiosulfate.  

If you insist on replicating the original plant as close to exact as you're gonna get, keep the original as a mother and take cuttings off of it to root into new plants.   

• Like 1

Thats quite a good description tbh, i did their star 47 and afghan kush, they were ok, but nothing special, or anything that made me want to run them again. 

You see plenty of strains here in members diaries and some will give smoke reports if asked, to get an idea of good genetics worth trying without risking money on dirt, the site store has smottie remix, which has 30 seeds per pack and was an open pollination of i think 5 good genetics strains and 3 or 4 old school cuts, so a lot of great possibilities for good males and females to be found for breeding purposes in there at a very cheap price of £45 thats £1.50 a bean. 

• Like 1
On 08/11/2021 at 5:54 AM, Saxguy said:

I hope I’m not stepping into no-no territory here, and forgive me if I am, but I have a question regarding seed production. Let me start by stating that I am in NZ, and seeds are less likely to get here than most other countries so it seems.

So, I thought that it would be best to order just regular seeds and first, breed male/female to obtain a few years of seeds of a particular strain. The thing is, many of the “WOW” strains seems to be offered in feminised only versions. My question I guess, is can you somehow breed from this basis? I mean either turn one of them male, or just try and cross them with a regular strain?

Is this frowned upon by the seed companies, or is it even possible?

If you cant do clones reversing a nice female could be a very good way to get yourself some decent seeds fast but (mainly due to reccessive genes ) could also be a clusterfuck of shite. The only way you will know is by trying.

Anyone who frowns upon it wants to get something better to do imho. Many of the fem seeds on the market are already S2, S3 etc generation. Seed companies doing exactly what you suggested here.

Edited by Two Tents