Anyone care to share a straightforward organic soil/compost recipe?

Cajafiesta

47 minutes ago, somelad said:

What about ecothrive eco life soil 

Having recently priced it, you can make your own for about 1/2 the cost. 

• Like 1

A long time member, since departed, showed me his building process with all the indoor organics amendments and coots recipe. 

Reckons it cost him £500 to fill four massive (guessing 60L ish) pots with a bit of gear left over.

Worth every penny in the long run with the savings, just top dressing to pay for. 

Spent quite a bit of time yesterday pouring over buildasoil on YT, reading about Coots and also reading the OT1 sticky regarding his switch to peat instead of coco. 

ive sorta landed here. 

1/3 peat

1/3 pearlite (I can’t find anything else locally since we’re out of the growing season and I ain’t paying $75 USD in shipping to ship pumice.) 

1/3 of this inexpensive compost/manure mix I found at a local store for $3/ cubic ft. 

I think I’m going to amend it with Bokashi Pro-gro.  It seems to be made of some lactobacillus variant as well as various meals and minerals. I may toss in some kelp and alfalfa meal for funnies too. 

I want to add EWC but I’m concerned that may be overkill due to the already existing manure in the mix. 

im going to go that route and feel it out. 

ive got about $50 us (37 gbp) tied up in 132L or so of soil. 

im trying not to overthink it too much. I know for a fact that plain ol cheap ass potting soil out of a bag, completely unamended, will grow these plants. 

if this goes south, or burns them up, I’ll drop back and punt.   If it turns out they begin to show signs of deficiencies, I’ll try to correct it as quickly as possible with tea and/or top dressing. Perhaps liquid fish/kelp too depending on what’s going on. 

turns out there’s a hydro/organic grow shop in my Town, and I had no idea. That’s a welcome addition should I find myself searching for esoteric stuff. 

Edited by Cajafiesta
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 07/11/2021 at 22:10, DutchFox said:

this recepts are not invented by me....

they are coming from :

the Dutch breeder, Jan Veen (R.I.P) died in 2007 at very old age, he started with few seeds from columbia weed in....1963 !! and was one of the first breeders here....mostly outdoor...

He was one of the founders of what later was called nederwiet....which means outdoordutch weed.

all his life he tried all recept with all manure possible....you name an animal and het tested it on the plant....outdoors.

he had a farm and yearly 800 plants there....( nowadays unthinkable )

importantly....he was never commercial....all for the love of the plant...

imagine....its 1963.....you get some beans....from weed from colombia.....and no internet....no books....and no one to ask.....no growshops...lol

and from that...by watching the plant he managed to breed and adapt them to our lattitude....

he tried every manure and soil mixes......and looked how far he could go to over feed them........

so this is where he was coming from.....and came with his recept.

ps: he lived 3 kilometers from the bio-biz factory....and knew exactly what they did there....

he always said.....some thing good....does not need to be expensive......but some just cant beleave this....:)

he hoped...that some day every human would be alowed to grow 10 regular plants....

@DutchFox thanks for this informative bit of cannabis history!!

the man in question sounds like my kinda guy and he is right, people like parting with hard earned 💰 it seems

• Like 1

On 23/03/2024 at 16:14, Stigofthedank said:

@DutchFox thanks for this informative bit of cannabis history!!

the man in question sounds like my kinda guy and he is right, people like parting with hard earned 💰 it seems

yes man...how i would have loved to be his son.....and now....

holland is after so manny right wing gouvernments...the worst weed friendly place now....

even hardline Germany is opening up WITH GREEN/SOCIALLIST PARTIES AT THE WHEEL......3 plants....legal SOON.....Jan Veen was not far from German border......i think i see him smiling down TO US from the eternal weed fields :)

RIP Mr Jan Veen !!!

we still hope your dream will come true in Holland....some day....

ps: 1 teacup of Jan Veen is 100 gram dried chicken manure

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 2