Tiny white bug(s)

Redstripe

Easy peeps as the title says fount a tiny white bug in my coco as i was going to water today only saw 1 maybe 2 but they were in the same area scouted out my other pot and fount nothing so it's not looking like a infestation yet thankfully,

So i was wondering what should be my course of action from here? one of the main reasons i picked coco is for the natural defence from bugs due to it being inert will it just go away when they die out due to lack of food?

The bug was long and slim but still very very small and it was the same colour as the roots and it's quite good at acrobatics (seriously this thing jumped like 10x it's height i was impressed).

Edited by Redstripe
  • Like 3

Guest anarchycamp

Just tagged you in a post mate, sounds like Springtails.

I've had them all this year,it's probably the BAC soil for me.

They're harmless afaik 

Springtails bro , they are friendly bugs.

They are actually useful little buggers , they eat dead and decaying plant debris.

People pay good money to introduce these into vivariums etc.

:yinyang:

• Like 1

Cheers for the replies boys

25 minutes ago, anarchycamp said:

Just tagged you in a post mate, sounds like Springtails.

I've had them all this year,it's probably the BAC soil for me.

They're harmless afaik 

Yeah they look very similar the pic you posted tho they do look a little thicker but i'm guessing the camera and being so closed might be causing it to seem like that.

1 minute ago, BilgePump said:

Springtails bro , they are friendly bugs.

They are actually useful little buggers , they eat dead and decaying plant debris.

People pay good money to introduce these into vivariums etc.

:yinyang:

Cool so I shouldn't actively try to kil them if it does turn out to be springtails? i'm guessing the fact they jump so high is pointing massively towards them right? 

Just now, Owderb said:

If its long and thin it aint springtails. And you won't just see one or two.

Owd

Yeah i'm 90% sure it was literally just 1 maybe 2 I gave both pots a good scout for around about 5-10 mins couldn't find anything else gonna keep an eye out tho and by long and thin i mean relative to it's size overall rather than just in general.

post-6338-1263570209.jpg

^^^^^Thats a Springtail and they dart and jump around and if you have them there will be hundreds not just one or two

Owd

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 3

Just now, Owderb said:

post-6338-1263570209.jpg

^^^^^Thats a Springtail and they dart and jump around

Owd

Yeah i couldn't make out it's body parts it was far to small but they were 100% jumping around like i say it jumped atleast 10X it's body height probably more might see if it'll bite me then i'll become springtailman 

• Like 1

Ok so done a few more waterings since i posted and there are certainly more than 1 or 2 quite a few actually hundreds maybe also they are only visible when i water as they come to the surface however it's just one pot is this normal? the other has 0 in.

I won't lie kinda creeps me out a bit 1 or 2 sounded kinda cute hundreds are a bit scary lol

So with them being quite a few they jump and are white coloured pretty much nailed on springtails right? i really wanna identify them 100% as it's gonna impact my next decision and i'm just about to flip so don't wanna deal with bugs during flower.

Edited by Redstripe

This is why I stopped watering the other plants with the run off.  I would see little white "floaters" suddenly come to life and jump about when I disturbed the water.

I did not know it was spring tails though:cowboy:.

I thought it was the larvae of the small flies (fungus gnats I think) that I get and use a sticky trap for.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, anarchycamp said:

You're good pal :hippy: Imo

If you're still worried, take a picture!

Yeah i'll try get a pic it's hard tho cos they're there for like seconds if i hadn't had my head basically in the pot i wouldn't have noticed them.

Ty for the replies again btw appreciate it.

They will be springtails if there's hundreds when you water. I have them most grows. Never done any damage to my knowledge and dont ask how to get rid of them because its pretty hard once they are there

Owd

• Like 1

When I first had them I used a couple of treatments of 1/3 ratio Hydrogen peroxide and water. Wiped out the lot, but does kill a lot of other microbes in the medium so have to weigh up the pros and cons.

• Like 1