Wine cooler conversion curer

FarmerPalmersNT

Looks good, although you could save a bit of money getting a 2nd hand fridge/cooler (mine was 30 quid) and a cheaper/2nd hand dehumidifier, the one BPB uses isn't essential, you can cut most dehumidifiers down to about the same size. Get the WiFi inkbird, it's definitely worth the extra money, so much easier to change settings on the fly. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

Thanks @MindSoup, that sort of saving over new for the Klarstein is seriously appealing, I'll have a read back through the full thread for alternative pointers as I don't have a proper grasp of what would be suitable. 

Any thermoelectric/peltier cooled fridge will work mate, doesn't matter about the brand or model. Same goes with the dehumidifier really, although as you'll see the really cheap ones like the one I bought do require a bit of extra modification.  

• Like 1

Just now, MindSoup said:

Same goes with the dehumidifier really,

don't they have to be really small tho' ?

mystic

Well yeah, thought that went without saying lol

E2A what I meant was the dehumidifier also has to be peltier/thermoelectric. Although I'm pretty sure all the mini ones are

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

On 07/09/2022 at 7:24 PM, MindSoup said:

Just sharing this post from my diary, found a nice looking controller that does temp/humidity and has WiFi. 

Figured I'd update on the Elitech Temp/humidity controller. Plain and simple, its absolutely wank. It keeps throwing up errors which coincides with a loud beeping that wakes you up in the middle of the night, only way to deactivate the beeper from happening every time there's an error is to remove it from the circuit board (voids warranty) so that's super annoying. To be fair to them they did send me another controller which I'm yet to test out, but from reading online reviews it seems like a very common issue. 

Also the 2nd major issue. The app is not very user friendly, and has now started to crash every time I try and access the controller so is effectively unusable. I've emailed them about this issue as well so hopefully it can be fixed with an update. 

So yeah not worth the saving of £10-20 , just buy the inkbird(s). If you can find a fridge with accurate temp control you'll only need the humidity inkbird as well which would work out cheaper. 

• Like 2

The dehumidifer arrived today!

large.IMG_7499.jpglarge.IMG_7498.jpg

Chopped it as per previous posts by @blackpoolbouncer
large.IMG_7504.jpg

Removed the 4 screws around the heatsink, NOT the 2 holding the heat sink on. Leave those.

Exposed the power switch/ circuit board.

large.IMG_7505.jpg

Remove this circuit board by removing the 3 screws on the board.

large.IMG_7506.jpglarge.IMG_7507.jpg

Removed sensor for tank as no longer exists!

large.IMG_7509.jpg

Red should be live ( + ) but worth checking! The grey is the neutral ( - ) in the left photo. 

large.IMG_7508.jpglarge.IMG_7510.jpg

On the fan and the cooler, the red is live ( + ) and the black is neutral  ( - ) 

large.IMG_7510.jpg

Chop the cables off the board as we dont need that.

large.IMG_7511.jpg

Strip the wire and connect all reds in a block. And then the grey with the 2 blacks.

Make sure you know what you are doing when stripping wire and connecting. 

large.IMG_7512.jpg

I use this Wago boxes. 

large.IMG_7513.jpg

All back together and now powers on constant without a switch. Ready for the inkbird controller. 

large.IMG_7514.jpg

• Like 15

Looking excellent. Thanks for adding your steps with the DH. I was planning on giving people a walk though but never got round to it. Top job. 

I drilled my hole for the sensors and pug in the floor. You can see that it's just a bit of foam and plastic to drill through. No gubbins or anything important or damageable by drilling there. Safe and easy.

The only thing you will need now is something about 15mm tall (the same height as the ridge where the drip tray is at the back so the DH sits level on it. Not really worth mentioning it as you wil see what I mean when the fridge comes anyways.

FYI. Anyone else. The fridge i use doesn't really require an inkbird for the temps so that's one cheaper/less item to buy 

@Woozy one of the great advantages of drying I the fridge is the lack of draughts and too much air movement.

I'd personally not want a fan blowing air over my buds while they are drying but each to thier own.

Also now I'm getting used to it a bit more I knock down the rh on the inkbird at pretty small increments. This is the key to making sure the dehumidifier doesn't work too much and raise the temps in the fridge. Just adjust them target rh every day or two so it's just constantly slightly below the actual rh 

• Like 5

So the cooler arrived! :)

Nice looking bit of kit tbh, well built. But hey its german!

large.IMG_7519.jpg

I took out the shelves to work inside. Here is the drain at the back of the cooler.

large.IMG_7522.jpg

While we are at it, here is the exit tray for the drain. Found on the back of the cooler.

large.IMG_7533.jpg

Following @blackpoolbouncers advice i made a hole in the base, for this I got myself a holesaw that was big enough to allow the senser and power lead through. In my case the inkbird sensor was the biggest cable that needed to go throug the shell of the cooler. This is around 27mm. The closest i could get was around 32mm.

large.IMG_7524.jpg

The bottom is plastic and then its a polystyrene type material so its glides through without issue. The holesaw is arguably overkill but it gives a nice clean cyclinder.

large.IMG_7525.jpg

Fed the inkbird sensor through along with the power supply for the dehumidifier.

large.IMG_7528.jpg

and you get to reuse the cyclinder when bunging up the hole!

large.IMG_7527.jpg

I cut down the edge of the cylinder and the cables fit where the pilot drill bit bored through. Perfect! well almost..

large.IMG_7529.jpg

Using silicone i bunged up the hole and even used the plastic circle that was cut out.

large.IMG_7530.jpg

Now waiting for it to dry with a fan blowing in the cooler.

large.IMG_7531.jpg

Edited by Chris Smith
  • Like 17

On 12/4/2021 at 1:28 PM, FarmerPalmersNT said:

Also, just seen you were having issues with silicone smell. You'll want to run a tray of bicarbonate of soda in there for 12 hrs or so, it'll soak all that stink up. I use it after drying mushrooms as they leave it smelling kind of funky.

Not in with weed though!

@FarmerPalmersNT I take it just a tray of water and tip a load of bicarbonate of soda in?