Soft or hard water nutrients

Potprincess

Hi all! So me and my other half have finally got a tent up and running. We’re growing 2 plants in coco, hempy bucket. And 2 in compost, with biobizz nutrients for them. The nutrients we have for the coco are vitalink. The background e.c of our water is 0.4. The question is what nutrients would be better to use, soft water or hard water? 

• Like 1

I don't know for sure,

but my assumption would be that this might still be classed as soft water.

Check your local water suppliers website for a breakdown and classification :) 

Atb

:yinyang:

19 minutes ago, Potprincess said:

Thank you @Shumroom.

Apparently I’m in moderately soft water area. 

Hi and welcome,

My tapwater is 0.4 as well and I would regard that as fairly hard...certainly bungs up the kettle...

I would mix up a small batch of each (soft and hard) at 1/4 strength then check EC,

the one that goes up a couple of points or so from 0.4 to around 0.6/7 would be the one I'd use as that's where mine lands at that strength.

Remember coco needs ph adjustment, not so in soil...

Good Luck

default_oldtoker.gif

• Like 2

Thank you @stu914

So we have both hard and soft water nutrients as it is. The ph of our water is like 7.7, 3 drops of ph down puts it at 6.2. At the minute 2 seeds have popped through the coco and getting 1ml of plant start to 2L of water.

So you think I should make a batch of hard and soft water nutrients. With the same amount of ml/L and the one that gives me a e.c of 0.6-7 is the one we should use? 

• Like 1

I can see from the website why you are asking this question.....Assuming your using the coco formula 

Always check the water quality in your area and ensure you are using the correct variant – either hard water or soft water. In very soft water areas, we recommend a half strength VitaLink CalMag supplement (0.5ml/L) during the growth stage.

Your water is considered to be soft by the manufacture in this case.

Calcium carbonate is roughly 75ppm 

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Potprincess said:

e.c of 0.6-7 is the one we should use? 

I would try that, don't too bogged down with all the tech jargon these companies come out with...

Personally I use sensi ph perfect nutes in hydro (they do soil as well), no ph or water hardness to worry about...worth considering...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, stu914 said:

My tapwater is 0.4 as well and I would regard that as fairly hard...certainly bungs up the kettle...

Your water is definetely in the soft water category - if you think that bungs up your kettle, try living in a 0.6+ hard water area lol

• Like 4

Hi @zen-ken thank you so much for your input. Yea we are using the coco formula… well at least we will be when these plants are a little bigger! We did get some cal/mag just in case. Do you think that would be a good idea to use? 

• Like 1

@stu914 all of this jargon proper boggles the brain. We have 2 seeds in coco and 2 in soil. It’s just the whole coco that’s giving us a head ache! But hopefully we can ditch the dealer! Thank you for your input too! 

• Like 1

large.125E3184-1EEF-4FA6-87D7-6F619DAD12F1.jpegSo we have 1 blue kush berry from paradise and a black jack cbd from sweet seeds in the hempy buckets. And the soil pots we have a blue kush berry and lost Pearl from green house!

Edited by Potprincess
  • Like 1

You shouldn't need the Cal/mag according to the manufacturer....see how they get on....Some girls under LEDs can get rather cal/mag hungry in Coco :yep:

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

if you think that bungs up your kettle, 

I must admit it's on the boil most of the time...:rofl:

• Like 2