Soil mites or root aphids?

Ned The Head

Anyone know what these are and if they are something to be worried about? Hundreds in the soil with only three weeks of flower to go. They are a bit orange I think and only noticed them after I removed decomposing leaves from pots. Maybe soil mites? Or root aphids? Larvae there as well. Thanks. 

large.20A19852-6998-46E7-99FE-1404192B45E9.png

large.3EC95A89-5F56-415E-9FFA-3EEB1E6B9ACC.png

large.FD0D6D33-7D3F-4AE9-BCCC-8650682E3211.png

large.1327CD42-9B76-418F-947C-5EA169DB81CC.png

Edited by Ned The Head

• 3 months later...

Root aphids are tiny, they seem far too big. And they are 'normally' dark in colour. If you've got root aphids you'd know about it by now. Normally once they've populated sufficiently they attach to the roots and suck the plant dry. The plant gives the appearance of nutrient deficiency but adding further nutrients needless to say doesn't resolve matters. 

They are a complete bas*ard to get rid of also. Many can be resistant to Pyrethrins or at least show a degree of tolerance to. Only way I've found to at least keep them under control was to use a systemic agent but these are slower acting. Then throw away any pots / compost you may have been using to avoid recontamination.

If no evidence of nutrient (significant) deficiency is present I'd suggest they are likely not.

Response bit late but maybe this helps someone else.

• 1 month later...

A bit late for the topic but for future references purposes,  these mites are beneficials, always good to see these predators establish in soil.