Inkbird, Tuya and HomeAssistant

Flamedodger

I have an interest in IoT (internet off things) devices, building them and making them all talk to each other. I have built a sound system for my kitchen using a raspberrypi and have a raspberrypi surveillance camera in my grow tent. Pretty much any IoT device that is wifi enabled have parts that can be used with different software than the manufacturers supply. 

Home Assistant is open source home automation software that can be run alone as a standard operating system or as a 'container'  (runs alongside). I have tried both, but have most success when using a raspberrypi 4 running the standalone version, infact, the latest install required no use of a pc, the iOS HomeAssistant app is very very good. What HomeAssistant (hass) does is, as an example, make your Apple HomeKit devices talk to your Philips Hue Lighting. In my case I'm hoping to tie all my T/H sensors and wifi plugs together and enable them to work with different makes. In the pursuit of this I managed to enable the inkbirds ITC-308 into HASS. Simply by using an app called Tuya and installing the Tuya Integration in HASS, beware though that you will have to register with Tuya and it will prevent your Inkbird app from working.

Tuya App Screener

large.F8C6E510-65DC-4FF4-B875-EE7257F50C57.jpeg

Anyone with an ITC-308 will recognise this, but it is Tuya, not Inkbird. Inkbird just use Tuya as there app platform, so using the tuya app, is basically jailbreaking your inkbird.

Here's a screener from my HASS phone app.

large.22F73385-9B83-4FB5-B5A2-C9C24428614B.jpeg

Now technically, I should be able to make all the different IoT devices in my grow room talk to each other and have one app to control them all, I'm just finishing a grow, so not keen on fucking about with it too much.

Anyway, just thought I would share the info, it's perfectly legal by the way :yep:

Edited by Flamedodger
punctuation
  • Like 7

Another plus with using Tuya as opposed to the Inkbird version of Tuya is you can write your IFTTT commands in the Tuya app and they write across to HASS. 
AC Infinty Controller 67 is next on the hit list, I’ll keep you posted :yep:

30 minutes ago, NezA said:

You might like this channel on YouTube

:yep:

Yea, that’s my aim, eventually. His stuff is on GitHub I’m pretty sure. The gear he uses is expensive, I dread to think what he has spent, although much cheaper than off the shelf examples. I’m ok with the software/coding stuff, just a bit of a noob with tronics lol

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
On 23/09/2021 at 8:44 PM, Flamedodger said:

AC Infinty Controller 67 is next on the hit list, I’ll keep you posted :yep:

Well it seems that there is now an integration for both the 67 & 69 controllers. I’ve installed it but unfortunately can’t get it to work, logs show a python dependency, which will can only be solved with an OS update. I have however run a script that has polled the 67 from the Bluetooth on the RPI and extracted the UUID’s of it.

Next thing to try is to run up HASS container, it seems most success has come with containers of Home Assistant.

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/ac-infinity-bluetooth-69-pro-controllers-successful/514068

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/ac-infinity-controller-67-bluetooth-temp-humidity-fan-pwm/410673/152

You will need HACS installed to add the repositories and install the integration in the normal way. There has been some great successes with this and I do think it could be a game changer with the lack of UIS support as you can use any wifi plug that’s supported in HA, I already have Meross and Ecowitt sensors running.

i’ll keep you posted :yep:

• Like 1

I have installed the ac-infinity integration for home assistant, but have no devices or entities showing. I think I have to put the controller in setup mode to achieve that and the controller is working my space at the moment, so it'll have to wait till I've cropped. If you want to give it a try on the 69 controller, you have to turn off wifi, from what I've read, BT doesnt work with the wifi on. I’m sure this is the way to go with non U.K. uis plug support, the power plugs not the dongles. The screenshots look quite impressive;

large.IMG_3155.png

:smokin:

Success :yep:

After much research and reading and installing and uninstalling I have managed to get the AC Infinity integration working with Home Assistant. The integration has only been out a month or so, so is pretty basic.

large.IMG_3158.jpeg

So far it's only showing 3 entities, but they work. I can now use the ACI temp & humidity sensor to control any plug in my growspace. Weirdly, I got my Inkbird IHC-200 working using the Tuya app, I had no luck with the proprietary apps and thought the unit was faulty :thumsup:

Anyway, if anyone is interested in how all this was achieved tap me up and I will endeavour to do a how-to on here :yep:

• Like 2

This what my Grow Space page looks like in Home Assistant;

large.653d5ef81bd81_Screenshot2023-10-28190011.png

You can click on a sensor entity and get some great info;

large.653d5fe692a5b_Screenshot2023-10-28131531.png

The video cam is a raspberry pi cam with motioneye installed its been in my veg cab for ages, the flower cab lights are timed by a meross wifi plug, one of the newer one's that give you power data. The temp/humidity and soil sensor data are provided by an ecowitt weather station. The shed and veg cab temp/humidity data is supplied bu meross sensors. I managed to get both Inkbirds on here, although the IHC-200 doesn't send any data :mellow: Most importantly, the Controller 67 is on there, when my crop is done I will test extensively.

I'd love to get my hands on a 69 Controller :D

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Still haven’t tried properly to

connect to the controller yet, it doesn’t update temp/humidity and I think I need to pair the two devices for it to poll constantly. With my crop a few weeks from finishing, I don’t want to mess anything up. I did find a cool VPD card that you can link your sensors to that give you an easy to read chart :D

large.IMG_3181.jpeg

As always mine are on the humid side lol

All I want to achieve is to connect to the controller from the pi and use the T/H sensors for operation of my humidifier/dehumidifier and the heaters.

I’ve got right into HA and basically put everything in the house on it. You can see from the screenshot the different tabs (there’s even a cannabis leaf icon for my grow room lol) I have a camera at the front of my place and a ring doorbell, I have them on a tab of their own. The lighting is all on a tab, step and exercise data, I can also geolocate my phone. I have a wireless electric meter somewhere, I might try and get it working, set it up on my shed ring main and see what my grow usage is. 
Till next time :smokin:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Codename: w2823

Search: itm/166463753892

I feel fecking ridiculous not just giving you the whole link, but a mod says it must be this way.

If this post stays, we can talk about it.

Edited by notunum

13 hours ago, notunum said:

I feel fecking ridiculous not just giving you the whole link, but a mod says it must be this way.

Not a clue lol

Just now, Flamedodger said:

Not a clue lol

Go to eBay(UK) and enter ‘166463753892’ into it’s search bar and you’ll see the item @notunum is referring to :thumsup:

Atb

:yinyang:

Just now, Shumroom said:

Go to eBay(UK) and enter ‘166463753892’ into it’s search bar and you’ll see the item @notunum is referring to :thumsup:

Atb

:yinyang:

Cheers, stupid old git me lol

• Like 1

13 hours ago, notunum said:

Ok, got you now. :yep:

• Like 1

Update

It seems that the ACI Contoller 69 (wifi) has a fully built integration now, it’s on release 5. Which is always a good sign, some of the screenshots look awesome, see link below.

The 67 is a work in progress for me. I have the integration working, I can control the fan via wifi using HA, but the temp and humidity sensors won’t give a real time reading. I want them to work the wifi plugs on my dehumidifier and humidifier. If this is as far as I can go with it, I’m pretty sure I could work the fan from my inkbirds and I have a suspicion the sensors in the ACI are not the same standard as the Inkbirds, particularly the humidity sensor. Hopefully I can sort it, there’s still one or two testing it.

If you have the 69 controller and are interested check out the GitHub page, I’m sure I’m not breaking rules posting links from there;

https://github.com/dalinicus/homeassistant-acinfinity

• Like 1