Help with gaming card specs

Hir

I fried my computer, knocked a cup of tea and it ran into back of computer.  On an old one at moment, very fragile.

So I've found what looks to be a computer good enough for my need but.  It I have it with a 6GB GTX 1660 the set up is £150 more than if I have it with a 4GB GTX 1650.  Am I going to really see a difference in performance that warrants an extra £150 for a 6GB GTX 1660 ?

Just now, Exhale said:

is that a 1660 super @Hir?

Just gives it as above 6GB GTX 1660

e2a If I ask a question and it is a super is that worth it?

Edited by Hir
  • Like 1

@Hir got any links mate?

Bit tricky with the 1660 series at the moment, the 1660 Super I bought last year has tripled in price in some places! it's a killer card for around £250 when I bought it, crushes 1080p ultra.

@vape_ninja I think hir is looking at pre-built options so you get pretty much limited to what's in stock at the time or what your budget will allow, as you know they put a bit of a premium on prebuilt machines!

• Like 3

im not sure what you are playing but id honestly not go below 8gb ram for a GPU, 

However i am also aware the market is fucked at the moment for gpus the price is stupid 
I got a second hand GTX 1070 about 2 years ago for around £230 and it has allowed me to enjoy many games, even though its fairly outdated (I spent all the money on processor) 

• Like 1

Just now, vape_ninja said:

im not sure what you are playing but id honestly not go below 8gb ram for a GPU, 

Really? I play AAA titles on my 1660 Super 6GB 1080p very high - ultra aiming for 60fps. It doesn't struggle, it's a hell of a card for the (original) price tag :yep:

if you are okay with 60fps that should be fine then, i like to get as close to 144 as i can 

Edited by vape_ninja
  • Like 1

if you are okay with 60fps that should be fine then, i like to get as close to 144 as i can 

Your eye can't see faster than 30 fps so what's the point.   I see the point of 60fps for VR games, that's 30fps per eye but above there is no point?

Edited by Hir
  • Like 1

i like to get as close to 144 as i can

Easy with FPS/Arena games, I'm playing open world/large scale map games like Horizon Zero Dawn (managing 75fps with that it's such a great game engine) etc it's only paired with a £120 Ryzen 5 2600X :yep:

• Like 1

Just now, Hir said:

Your eye can't see faster than 30 fps so what's the point.

All the competitive First Person Shooters lot chase higher FPS so you can get the jump on your man when you spot each other for the draw! bit ridiculous when you're only talking a few milliseconds quicker to registering your data on the game server 

I find 60FPS aesthetically pleasing nothing more :yep:

Edited by Exhale
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Hir said:

Your eye can't see faster than 30 fps so what's the point.   I see the point of 60fps for VR games, that's 30fps per eye but above there is no point?

not true at all, if i play on 60fps the frames are so slow it makes me feel sick now in comparison lol

trust me i wouldnt be able to play the games i play on 60fps it would be awful

• Like 1

not true at all, if i play on 60fps the frames are so slow it makes me feel sick now in comparison lol

trust me i wouldnt be able to play the games i play on 60fps it would be awful

Do you struggle watching a film then?

• Like 2