How much cubic feet of Clackamas Coots soil mix for each plant?

Phillybonker

12 hours ago, MindSoup said:

I'm a bit confused by the last 2 posts? Sounds like you're gunna do organics but chuck salt base ferts on as well? If so I wouldn't advise it, by all means do full organic and full non side by side to compare, but don't try and do both at once, the salts will kill off all the microbial activity and stop the no till method working properly. 

Have a watch of "The Living Soil Film" on YT, and check out Mendo Dopes last couple of seasons of Green Dope, they're killing it with No Till. 

I understand (or misunderstand) that mulch is used solely for water retention.  I was going to use mulch in combination with synthetic N-P-K.  Definitely won't be using synthetics mixed with organics.  I'll do some sort of organic only experiment using a couple of plants.

I've saved your recommended reading material and YT videos to have a look at later.  Thanks:)

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 9:52 PM, Phillybonker said:

understand (or misunderstand) that mulch is used solely for water retention

Mulch can and does do soooo much more than that. 

Literally all I do is put a compost mulch down each year. No digging. Doesn't that sound too good to be true?

That mulch is providing everything your plants need while feeding the soil life which in turn feeds your plants. Mulching essentially forms the loop that is the natural cycle. It's far far more than to help to help water retention. That's just a very useful by product 

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

That mulch is providing everything your plants need while feeding the soil life which in turn feeds your plants. Mulching essentially forms the loop that is the natural cycle. It's far far more than to help to help water retention. That's just a very useful by product

Heat is another useful one, we have a few tropical plants established and a good layer of mulch helps - although what we have chosen is hardy our Yucca (spanish dagger) loves the mulch and we've put a few extra feet on our Trachy's ina short space of time.

We put in a Garrya Elliptica (James Roof) couple of years back and it's already reached it's stated height and spread of 4m, this year we're hoping for the bigger tassels :yep: 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Mulch can and does do soooo much more than that. 

Literally all I do is put a compost mulch down each year. No digging. Doesn't that sound too good to be true?

Great!!  And it sounds so simple.  I'm definitely putting down some mulch in some of my spots this grow.  Thanks a lot:)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/09/2021 at 6:21 AM, Phillybonker said:
I'm growing out doors in the ground (not in a grow bag or pot) and I'm  just wondering how much cubic feet of clackamas coots soil mix do I use  in a 40 cm deep, one metre diameter hole, with the rest being soil?

Why 40 deep? Such a waste. Most of the roots will be in the first 16 so why not just do 16 depth and make yer total compost around 500 gallons.  Seen it done in South OR with great success. Create a center for this, There are guides online for building large fabric centers for holding 500 gallons ect 40cm is such a waste of effort. All your growths coming from that first 16 or so.

On 10/7/2021 at 1:43 AM, acidshiva said:

Why 40 deep? Such a waste. Most of the roots will be in the first 16 so why not just do 16 depth and make yer total compost around 500 gallons.  Seen it done in South OR with great success. Create a center for this, There are guides online for building large fabric centers for holding 500 gallons ect 40cm is such a waste of effort. All your growths coming from that first 16 or so.

Thanks, I've only done one grow before so I'm still learning.  I'll compost the first 16 inches.  I'm not using coots mix anymore, just mulch, compost and organic NPK ingredients.

• Like 2