Compost.

Rhubarb & Flustered

So as I've said I am just getting a grow started for the 1st time in years,I used to use J.Arthur Bowers MPC & got along with it well but as will everything the world has moved on since I last took part.

So me query is,is JAB MPC still the dogs danglies ? I've read a few posts talking about Clover,does anybody have experience with both & if so what would you advise or if you have but found a better option,what would that be ?

I'll be growing autos in it this grow & I know that previously they didn't need very much feed for the first few weeks.

Any and all advice is welcome. :hippy:

If you can get clover locally, get that. 

Or order tropic mix 

Not much else compares.

Clover is perfect for autos, if you havent already, may I suggest a wee gander at the diary I the dinafem section pinned called "my dinafem discovery and subsequent delight" to see what growing in clover is like.

Edit. It isn't organic mind.

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, ratdog said:

i'm using vitax these days,

mixed with coco and some ewc

Thanks for the replies guys

7 minutes ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Or order tropic mix 

Not much else compares.

Clover is perfect for autos, if you havent already, may I suggest a wee gander at the diary I the dinafem section pinned called "my dinafem discovery and subsequent delight" to see what growing in clover is like.

I don't think that I will be able to get it locally but I can get it online,just works out a bit more expensive with the postage,not stupidly so though.Shall have a more in depth read in the next few days

Edited by Rhubarb & Flustered
  • Like 2

Compost nutrients. Organic or synthetic. 

@Exhale sports the tropic mix so hes the man to see what its like. I'm thean to see about clover. 

Above mentioned diary for clover and autos. The diary called "the low maintainanace way" for clover and photos. 

Or have a gander though my gallery's.

atb

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 2

I used to use JAB MPC, it was a really good compost but as usual the recipe got changed and it turned to shit. I haven't tried it in years now so it might have changed again. We've got a few Clover stockists but last time I went they never had any in stock. I didn't get on with the 100% peat Sinclairs I bought instead.

I use Canna Pro usually as it's consistent and it doesn't burn seedlings.

Edited by KC
oh I doiubt it's organic, but neither is JAB
  • Like 1

I managed to get some jack's magic for my outdoor plants this year it's performed admirably I can see what all the fuss is about now - If only I could get it more reliably!

10 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Or order tropic mix 

Aye the Tropic Mix is pre-buffered with non-organic inputs :yep: but you can use organic based nutrients like BioBizz no problems.

10 hours ago, Nuggsy said:

what  do you use with tropic mix... coco nutes or soil nutes ?

Both will work but soil based nutes are best

10 hours ago, Rhubarb & Flustered said:

Thanks for the replies guys

I don't think that I will be able to get it locally but I can get it online,just works out a bit more expensive with the postage,not stupidly so though.Shall have a more in depth read in the next few days

The Tropic Mix is actually the cheaper stuff on the market I overlooked for a couple of years and went with the premium soils like CANNA, BioBizz etc but since trying it I've been singing it's praises for being better than these so called premium potting mixes and at half the price :thumsup:

10 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Compost nutrients. Organic or synthetic. 

@Exhale sports the tropic mix so hes the man to see what its like. I'm thean to see about clover. 

Above mentioned diary for clover and autos. The diary called "the low maintainanace way" for clover and photos. 

Or have a gander though my gallery's.

atb

Great roots, healthy plants - it's a great, soft, fluffy, airy mix that's forgiving for overwatering thanks to the oxygen holding talent of coco! if it dehydrates a bit it's very easy to re-wet (doesn't repel water like some other peat mixes when they dry out a bit too much)

The site sponsor (One Tree Horticulture) now sells Tropic Mix (I think) check it out there should be a UK420 discount too :yep:

large.rootytooty.jpglarge.PASxMAC1GROUP1CHOP.jpglarge.PASxMAC1ACHOP.jpglarge.PASxMAC1GROUP2CHOP.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks for the replies folks.

I think I will give that Tropic Mix a go because I can order it at the same time as my filter,won't get stung on delivery.

What are peoples opinions on RhizoPots,good or not worth the hassle ?  It's a toss up between some of those or those airpots.

• Like 2

I prefer the traditional pots but have a few that root prune at the bottom with a grid instead of holes.

They look wicked for a dripper set-up though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Exhale said:

I prefer the traditional pots but have a few that root prune at the bottom with a grid instead of holes.

They look wicked for a dripper set-up though.

I've only ever used normal pots so I fancy giving them a go unless people have had any bad experiences with them,my main worry would be mould.

I don't like putting autos straight into a big pot so I feel they'd be perfect for an auto grow.

Now seeds,have any of you given Expert Seeds a go ?

• Like 1