Fabric Pots (Boil or Freeze?)

ScapeGoat

Mites and hermies sucked the juice outta my summer crop.

Took a backseat for a bit.. 

Do I boil the fabric pots or freeze?

I have lots of space in the freezer and would rather not use loads of energy and water. 

i hear -20c does the trick for 24hr 

Found this: 

Killing mites: Cultures and crosses that can be readily replaced should be autoclaved, together with exposed racks and containers. Cultures to be recovered can be freed of mites in either of two ways. Freezing at 18oC or 20oC for 24 hours kills both adults and eggs (Subden and Threlkeld 1966, Allison and Hilton 1994). (Refrigeration at 5oC slows mites but does not kill them.) Conidiashow high survival after freezing, but ascospores do not. Thus freezing is not an option for crosses. - David D Perkins

Any input welcome cheers. 

• 5 weeks later...

Get a steamer and steam the hell out of them be the best bet to kill anything undesirable. 

My freezer sits at - 20c all the time, and has a power freeze button that sets it to - 25c for an hour, for when ya add in the new weeks shopping. 

Both be a great option. But steam would be the best as its alot hotter so will definitely kill anything. 

• Like 1

Ahh it's no worse than slowly freezing them to death or blasting off there flesh with steam. A minute in the popityping and all organic organisms will be dead. Adult, infant or egg.

Just don't cut corners and reduce cooking time.  If one survives and it's irradiated ass manages to bite you...

Your spidymite senses may be tingling :yep:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...