Anybody know anything about smart meters?

Bobcharlieeeee

Just moved into my first house which was built in the 1980’s

The house is fitted with a smart meter, the previous owner used Shell to supply the electric. It is a smets1

We have changed suppliers to British gas. And we have to give a manual meter reading every month 

Basically my dad is an ex sparky who will be replacing the old 80’s consumer unit with a modern unit.

He needs to pull a fuse before the meter, however will this flag up to the energy suppliers that we have disconnected it? There isnt a security seal on the fuse carrier

Now because we have changed supplier, and we are doing manual meter readings. This makes me think that british gas are not connected to the smart meter to be able to tell if we have pulled the fuse

Anyone able to shed some light?

Apparently they can only connect to the original supplier so you're fine from that point of view.

But I wouldn't be happy without a security seal on your main fuse. If you ever get busted you don't want them saying you were stealing electricity.

You should probably do the work then get them to come out and put a seal on the fuse.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
On 11/08/2021 at 1:11 PM, Bobcharlieeeee said:

Just moved into my first house which was built in the 1980’s

The house is fitted with a smart meter, the previous owner used Shell to supply the electric. It is a smets1

We have changed suppliers to British gas. And we have to give a manual meter reading every month 

Basically my dad is an ex sparky who will be replacing the old 80’s consumer unit with a modern unit.

He needs to pull a fuse before the meter, however will this flag up to the energy suppliers that we have disconnected it? There isnt a security seal on the fuse carrier

Now because we have changed supplier, and we are doing manual meter readings. This makes me think that british gas are not connected to the smart meter to be able to tell if we have pulled the fuse

Anyone able to shed some light?

They will know your stealing electric smart meters cant be bypassed and its not safe if you got kids or attached to any other house pay for your electric its not cheap but safe and I have 2 areas and pay around £8/£10 a day but its safe and your not stealing electric and get your meter removed when your caught out

Guest anarchycamp
10 minutes ago, Grow lady said:

They will know your stealing electric smart meters cant be bypassed and its not safe if you got kids or attached to any other house pay for your electric its not cheap but safe and I have 2 areas and pay around £8/£10 a day but its safe and your not stealing electric and get your meter removed when your caught out

100% sure this person isn't stealing electric. They don't want to bypass it, just replace the smart unit(old energy company) with a normal unit(new energy company)

You can buy the seals on a well know auction site. 
as others have said it’s only the supplier that monitors them. 
if the guy doing it is a register spark who can sign off the install with building control there should be no issues. 

Wizard :oldtoker:

• Like 1