Air layering

Anyone have much success with air layering?  saw its pretty popular in bonsai, seems a great way to have large clones. Does it take any longer to root that usual 1-2weeks? 

I've done a couple plants air layered now but not cannabis. 

It should work very well with cannabis and be pretty quick too potentially.  

There's little advantage to having large clones.(you can take pretty large clones as it is) Cant do anything with them till the root mass equalises with the above ground mass which is when they would start growing to the plant structures potential.

Cool way to start a bonsai though.

I did something a bit similar a few years ago with an old mum. Placed a collar round the base of the trunk filled with compost. Waited to root then removed the old pot and replanted into a shallow tray.

Could be useful for plants that are a fucker to root. 

Might chuck a root it cube on a side branch later wrapped in clingfilm. See how it goes. I'll report back 

• Like 7

Hey @blackpoolbouncer, thanks for sharing. I think i'll try it out, i'm very limited with cutting size in my propagator, then the heat and humidity are giving me a nightmare at the moment. I'm thinking I can airlayer pretty early on on the lower branches and give them time to grow whilst rooting, potentially saving a couple of weeks veg time when starting a new run in my RDWC, also with not much propagation/alternative veg space it should prevent too much leggyness. Before scrogging i'm usually cutting and discarding countless 30-50cm cm branches with loads of side shoots.

Worth a try I guess, especially if going for a SoG

• Like 3
2 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Might chuck a root it cube on a side branch later wrapped in clingfilm. See how it goes.

I fancy having a go at this as well...would you go bare branch or over a node?

• Like 2

@stu914 over a node for sure. 

Doing it over old woody growth will be slow. If you do it on a lower branch that's still supple, ie an ideal cutting then I imagine it will root very quickly. 

I'll chuck one on a plant this afty. Need to take some cuts anyways

Atb

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 4
10 hours ago, Dsmile said:

Anyone have much success with air layering?  saw its pretty popular in bonsai, seems a great way to have large clones. Does it take any longer to root that usual 1-2weeks? 

Done it a few times simply cutting off growth at node, painting on clonex followed by a root riot (spilt down to wrap around) then all covered with light proof plastic (tied at end(s)).  Can be a useful method for certain situations / goals. 

Edited by Amarillo slim
  • Like 4

The main advantage of air layering in cannabis is that you don't need to harden off the clones as they're already established in their given environment this can save you a few days. I'd imagine it's most useful for people who grow outdoors. I will probably give it a bash one day along with grafting which is potentially a way to keep plant numbers down whilst growing a few strains.

• Like 2