Seed Bound Bubba's

I had a Hawaiian Punch (Sagarmatha) pop her little head above the soil today, a wonderful and uplifting sight to see. She was seed bound and IME that can stop them in their tracks, so I took her to my desk and gently as I could I teased off the husk with the help of a few random hooky things, a task that always gives me some trepidation and that has gone very wrong in the past. I have started to notice that if I get the seed at the right depth and in the right orientation the sprout tends to leave the husk in the ground, but that's easier said than done sometimes. 

So I'm interested to hear what you guys do when this situation arises? Your technique/method for freeing a seed bound sproutling or even better a way of eliminating it happening altogether (clones don't count lol). 

Just now, SkullDuggery said:

I’ve found popping a drop of water on the seed case with a pipette can help it to free up

Good Idea, I have tried that before and it seemed to work well, but you have to be careful how you go, as it can make them damp off, sort of like using cling film or a cloche to keep the humidity really high.

Pop the seed a little further down in the medium :) to avoid/reduce the chances of this happening.

A seedling usually rises with an upside down J hook shape,

if the seed isn't far enough down then there's not enough time/friction to remove the husk as it sprouts.

This problem seems to be more common with root riots(it's the only time I've ever had it happen) and similar.

If it happens,

just spray with water a couple of times to soften the shell and it'll probably fall off by itself as the seedling expands.

But sometimes more(surgical) intervention like you've described @MindSoup is required.

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 4