Potency MIA :( :(

Ethelene Fresh

14 minutes ago, Thai Stick said:

There's even "Humidity packs" designed to hold moisture levels at a steady 62% so there must be something behind that number...

That's where you a 99.9% safe from mould and the curing process starts.  Weed that damp is no good to smoke, leave it out for 48hrs and the difference is obvious.  You want your final cure in the high fifties, which is also a smooth smoke.  Take weed below 55rh and there the cure ends. 

Eta - I still like my dope left out a good few hours for the best smoke. 

Edited by fatboy77

maybe i just preffer mine a bit drier.

those humidity packs are meant for storing cigars in humidors at 62%, nothing to do with weed.

the weed community just latched on to them. i used to use the 62s myself, then went to 58s. i preffered the 58s, but i dont use them anymore. i wasnt convinced that they even work to be honest

• Like 2

I've only really used them to rehydrate weed, I've never used them for curing, i think some people use them for long term storage for commercial amounts of weed being stored.

2 hours ago, badbillybob said:

maybe i just preffer mine a bit drier.

those humidity packs are meant for storing cigars in humidors at 62%, nothing to do with weed.

the weed community just latched on to them. i used to use the 62s myself, then went to 58s. i preffered the 58s, but i dont use them anymore. i wasnt convinced that they even work to be honest

Ideal cigar environment is more like 70rh/70f in all of my learning and practice. The old boveda packs, pre legal cannabis everywhere,  were 70%, commonly. I sold and used a ton of them working at a cigar shop.  But perhaps I missed 62% in cigar application. 

I definitely agree that the 58% packs seem more favorable for curing smoke than the 62%. I’ve used both and I prefer the 58%. 

e2a spelling 

Edited by Cajafiesta

It was my understanding that the bovedas were to be used for storing your cannabis, not necessarily curing it. I put the bovedas in after the jars have been through their initial burping phase and then balanced at optimum RH for 4 weeks or so. 

I share the same opinion as others above that the 62's were too high, IME weed would need to be removed from a jar for 24hrs+ to dry out a little before being smoked. Even then, in autumn last year when ambient RH was high (I keep my windows open year round as I like fresh air) my bud would not dry out enough even when removed from the jar for even 48hrs as RH in my house was high 60's.

That's when I found the 58's, which I used last year in jars stored for 6months+ and that seemed pretty good, although dare I say I'd be tempted by a 56 to keep an intermediary jar, lets call it the smoking jar, at the optimal humidity for pulling out a bud and grinding it up, while leaving my larger jars with the 58's in. 

As far as the efficacy of the bovedas goes, my observations lead me to believe they are very effective. In that high humidity house, I would burp my jars to no avail, noticing the jars RH would actually go up when I opened them, not down. But, when resealed, the bovedas would bring them back down to the specified RH. Also, with some weed I overdried, after leaving it in a cardboard box for 4 months over winter - when I lost the will to trim lol - the bovedas did actually restore some moisture to the buds and balance the jar at the specified RH. This did however take quite a few of the small bovedas in a 1L kilner to achieve the desired results. 

In any case, in hindsight I don't think the bovedas are at all necessary for 6 month storage. If I could make my weed last a year or more then maybe they'd be necessary, but between you and me, I smoke like a fucking chimney for the first 6 months after harvest until all but the trim and some forgotten bubble hash is left lol it's christmas time, after a 2 month cure, that the balance of nice cure and lots of weed left is optimal for me. 

To the OP, I noticed that some weed that's just gone into jars and is still burping is oddly underwhelming. Doesn't hit that hard and doesn't taste amazing. Once RH has balanced out below 60% in the jars and it sits for a couple months or so, it comes to life again. The bits that made it to 6 months in jars were definitely pokier in the potency department than the same plant smoked 5 months earlier. That being said I've also had a couple strains that smoked like a dream straight out the dry box and all the way through the curing process, MWF being the most notable. 

I fucking love this hobby lol 

Atb

:skin_up:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HullFeltMashematician said:

It was my understanding that the bovedas were to be used for storing your cannabis, not necessarily curing it. 

That is likely the intent of them. That’s definitely how they were used in the cigar world. They were for maintaining the ideal environment, not creating it. 

I’ve been using them in jars, directly after drying, for a cure. It’s worked pretty well in some instances. However, the last plant I cut was dry in 7 days, it was way too hot in my house. I’ve had that plant in jars with the boveda 62% pack for something like 20 days. The buds still smell like grass and hay from the way too aggressive dry. The boveda packs haven’t “fixed” the fast dry yet, not sure that they will, but I figured it was worth trying to find out.  They seem to be good at moving rh around within a small range of their target, but they don’t seem to be a miracle for bringing something up from 40% to 60% or so.

oddly, though, I’ve got some other really abused outdoor weed (I bought it REALLY Cheap) that was brown and sad. Obviously dried outdoors under the sun. Strangely enough, a boveda pack and 20 days in a jar HAS started to turn this stuff around. It’s gone from hay to weed. It also seems to have improved potency, but that could be my imagination or it could be that each har is a different plant. I have quite a bit of it, so it’s likely it’s from different plants. 

Edited by Cajafiesta