Best Format For Tent In Shed: 60cm x 120cm (2ft x 4ft) or 75cm x 75cm (2.5ft x 2.5ft)

MidgeSmith

Hi,

I've just put a 10ft x 8ft shed in my garden in sunny Manchester and plan to dedicate a small space inside to grow - organically, at least in the first instance. However I have to make it stealthy as feck as we have a lot of people in and out of the garden throughout the year and though I will keep it locked, my kids will no doubt peek in from time to time.

I am trying to choose between a 60cm x 120 cm x 18cm tent and a 75cm x 75cm x 200cm tent and lights to go with it. I want to be able to grow taller plants as required 1-2 big photos or 3 - 4 autos at a time.  I need to have it in place by October so if the end of the outdoor season is as crap as the summer has been, I will finish her off indoors before doing my first indoor cycle. That'll give me time between now and then to insulate the shed to maintain heat levels and stealth, to finish installing the electric supply etc.

The reason I am having a job choosing is that I need to make it as easy to cover over when I need to make it look like a normal stacked shed (when people come over and look in). 75cm x 75cm tent will come up to the start of the first window, so may be harder to hide from the outside, the 120cm x 60cm takes up more width, so may need more concealing in general? If concealment wasn't an issue, I'd definitely go with the 60cm x 120cm as it should allow 2 medium large plants to grow with space for heat, humidity and fans around them.

Can anyone offer any advice from experience as to which format makes sense? Am I making a mountain out of a molehill when it comes to the difference in sizes/formats?

Finally, would you say something like 200W/240W would be enough to max that space, or would it be wiser to push the boat out and get a 300W/320W as I suspect?

Cheers!

Midge

Edited by MidgeSmith

I would do the 2x4 ft and run led bars the length of the tent. If the budget is ok then aim for a 300-320 watt and dial it done a little.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think I know that is more sensible, really. I need to grow one focussed non-drowsy and one drowsy plant at a time to cover my med needs, so the width would be handy.  If I go for an SF2000 I could hang that over one plant with overlap and hang my SF1000 over the remaining space / other plant, so heigh differentials can be dealt with :)

Have you any inspiration for a basic way to conceal the tent from the window 45 degrees to the tent and front when the door is opened?  I don't expect to make it invisible, just harder to see something is behind it at a glance?

Depending on the tent design I go for, I might even make a kind of cladding pelmet that comes down from the ceiling to conceal the ducting and tent top. That way I can just lean some spare polycarb sheets I have or something from the floor to the pelmet to basically cover it over.

Cheers for the answers fellas!

Edited by MidgeSmith

@MidgeSmith

Hi bud,

Have a look at my shed build thread...larger conversion than you're planning but should give you some pointers.

Same thread has my trusty old fridge built growbox...worked a treat for years, still does...:yep:

If I can help just tag me.

Good Luck

• Like 3

On 8/5/2021 at 4:56 PM, stu914 said:

@MidgeSmith

Hi bud,

Have a look at my shed build thread...larger conversion than you're planning but should give you some pointers.

Same thread has my trusty old fridge built growbox...worked a treat for years, still does...:yep:

If I can help just tag me.

Good Luck

Thanks man!  I will do :)

• Like 1