DWC and chillers

Alf Garnett

I'm about to start sorting out my diy dwc bucket, only going to be doing one plant and was wondering how necessary is it to have a chiller if I use something like an igloo cool box for a bucket? 

Depends on your lighting choice, control of your environment and size of air pump and stone imo.

Dissolved Oxygen is a fickle mistress....especially at higher EC levels :yep: 

• Like 1

I use samsung leds, environment isnt a problem as its taken care of by my enviro controller. I can pretty much set and maintain whatever parameters I like, ive been in coco for a while its just my first bash with dwc

• Like 1

I started my last lot without a chiller and had silver bullet going in and less than a week got rot. The Res temp was 20/21c. Most don't grow in DWC without 1. Your choice tho bud! 

• Like 1

LEDs don't give off the the IR that HPS does so it will be easier to maintain the status quo.

Hydrogaurd and Southern AG GFF  whilst being huge pain in the arse to get fresh product (order from the states....keep it under £135....been getting my stuff in a week) is a an effective fungicide. 

However this doesn't take away from the fact that the propensity of the water to hold DO will go down with temperature and increasing EC levels.

@stu914 what are you experiences with DWC without a chiller ?

• Like 1

On 21/07/2021 at 6:15 PM, Alf Garnett said:

environment isnt a problem

Optimum growroom temps are higher than desired res temps and over time the res temps will climb to room temp. (I hope that makes sense)

18c 22c is the safe range for dwc and I use an old coolbox for a res...pics in my 'shed build' thread...:yep:

@zen-ken

I've got away with temps higher than recommended by reducing the nute level.

This leaves more root exposed to take on oxygen from the air as opposed to the solution. It works ok up to a point.

Just changed up the dwc system in the fridge to a bonsai mum/clone chamber and that doesn't really work in dwc so I'm in compost for now.

just as well as res temps were hitting 27c in this recent hot spell...however...

My hybrid system in the flowering room is roaring along...res temps about the same but as the roots are resting on a table and not in the nutes

they're fine, no deficiences and rapid growth.

:oldtoker:

• Like 2

I recently got all the parts to make a diy chiller for a friend using Peltier modules the whole setup was ~£100 I'm planning on doing a build guide in the DIY section. You can find videos on YouTube search "DIY aquarium chiller" watch several it should give you a good idea of what's involved.

My chiller design incorporates some components from a PC liquid cooling loop for better efficiency some of the more basic designs out there will be even cheaper.

Edited by NezA
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 21/07/2021 at 0:59 PM, Alf Garnett said:

I'm about to start sorting out my diy dwc bucket, only going to be doing one plant and was wondering how necessary is it to have a chiller if I use something like an igloo cool box for a bucket? 

My first grow with just two bubblers in a tent didnt have chiller and turned out ok but temps in tent fluctuated like mad due to newbie cockups.

Since then have moved onto multiple pot RDWC and a better room which is easier to control enviro.

With this system I found that nute / root temps quickly rose to room temp and had to fit a chiller. Now have it set at 19c all the time and so far no issues at all.

I think its one of the most overlooked environmental conditions and talking to others it certainly plays a huge part in the end result which is sometimes a zero yield due to root rot!! Yes they are expensive initially but spread that cost over your next 10 grows and suddenly its money well spent

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 31/10/2021 at 6:49 AM, Alf Garnett said:

@plantters

Are the chillers and pump noisy? 

My chiller, Hailea 150 is very quiet, less noise than a very small fridge, slight low frequency hum and thats about it. I use a small pump connected into my recirc pipes and again very little noise. That said it is sat on a reasonably thick piece of rubber which absorbs most of the vibration which is what makes most of the noise. TBH there will be far noisier items in your grow room than either of those.

Be aware that the chiller produces heat in the same way as an AC unit would so this really needs to outside of your grow area.

• Like 3