Root it cubes

Hello all, 

I only ever use a couple of root it cubes at a time. My last batch went bad when I didn't seal the bag, and I ended up with a ant farm. 

Would it be okay to store these in plastic boxes and how long do they last? 

Thanks .

:skin_up:

Hi. How do you mean they went bad .  I've left a bag root riot cubes open and they just dried out. I got them wet again before use and they were fine. 

The longest I've kept them sealed up is about a year and they stayed good to use. 

I think they'd be fine in plastic boxes for ages. 

• Like 3

Have had root riot cubes dry out and done exactly as above says. Just left them in some water, gave em a bit of a squeeze and was good to go. Ants I think is just more to do with where your storing them. The cubes themselves are sweet as.

• Like 3

I left them open in my shed metal cab, ants got in and used it as home o think. I guess they like them too. So I need to get ride the ants and threw them out. I put the new ones in plastic tubs now. Thanks. 

• Like 2

I believe (might not be right) that ants and aphids can live symbiotically. Hopefully your grow isn’t near the ants. I stand to be corrected like. I hope I’m wrong I’m fucked off of shooing ants away from my raspberries and black currents.  

• Like 1

Most crawling insects avoid fabric pots ime, and ants seem to go for pots with drainage holes. Could sit cuts and seedlings in a landscape fabric lined box or similar and use fabric finals.

• Like 1

@growinggold I got them in the house once. Just laid about 300 million ant traps lol the thought of shit like that in the house goes through me. They never came back so I’m guessing they worked.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15/07/2021 at 11:32 AM, mikeydoughnut said:

I believe (might not be right) that ants and aphids can live symbiotically. Hopefully your grow isn’t near the ants. I stand to be corrected like. I hope I’m wrong I’m fucked off of shooing ants away from my raspberries and black currents.  

You are correct about that, the aphids secrete a sugary liquid in return for the ants protection. lady birds/lace wing larvae and tree greese are your friends in this situation, you can buy them online. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2