Composting in a fast, simple, (and apparently smell free?) way

High007

Living in an apartment, it's not so simple to have a big compost bin. So I was stoked to find this video on how to compost in an apartment space, without having to suffer the smells and the bugs, that means it's game on! So today I did exactly what was in this video, almost, I don't have access to Neem leaves here (people in India sure are lucky that way!) but i did have everything else, here is the video, apparently in 3 months i should have usable compost, let's see.

• Like 1

Just now, High007 said:

apparently in 3 months i should have usable compost, let's see.

so you haven't tried it yet?

Just now, ratdog said:

so you haven't tried it yet?

But I just did man, today, that's what i was saying, there's a 3 month waiting period, so, exactly 3 months from today and it should be ready

Just now, High007 said:

But I just did man

ok lol

so it works?

Edited by ratdog

Just now, ratdog said:

ok lol

Tempted to go all Eric Cartman and freeze myself for 3 months, so I don't have to wait, but the problem is, I have crops growing!!! Cannabis mother, clones, another new female plant, food crops as well as i slowly transition to feeding myself and not needing money to do so anymore. So unfortunately, being frozen for that long would ruin everything else :D

1 hour ago, High007 said:

as i slowly transition to feeding myself and not needing money to do so anymore.

or just getting ad money from youtube hits? :wassnnme:

so you don't know if it really works? or gives you a decent spectrum of ingredients for you homegrown food?

also, 30 days to that end is absolute bullshit, i can tell you that now having been trying to get the ultimate compost for my own vegetables for the last 4 years.

• Like 2

Just now, ratdog said:

or just getting ad money from youtube hits? :wassnnme:

so you don't know if it really works? or gives you a decent spectrum of ingredients for you homegrown food?

also, 30 days to that end is absolute bullshit, i can tell you that now having been trying to get the ultimate compost for my own vegetables for the last 4 years.

i don't think this guy is one of those douches you're talking about, his videos are simple and repeatable it seems, the only way is to try. He also demonstrated in the video that it actually takes 3 months ot one, i don't know why the confusion in the title, i think it was a mistake that's all, in the video it's clearly 3 months before you can use it. This is a different method than usual, burring it in soil and compost seems to speed things up quite a bit, that's the premise, it kinda makes sense, I've seen other videos where burying things in rick soil makes them break down faster, so why not man.

11 hours ago, High007 said:

so why not man.

I would suggest @ratdog comments about 30 days is totally correct for composting in the uk, in fact you would be really pushing it to totally finish raw materials to ready to use compost in 3 months because of our climate, in a tropical or hot climate the whole process would be totally different.

I run 4 x  1.5 cubic meter heaps the year round each filling as the materials become available, at this time of the year when daytime is hot 20+c and green material comes in fast each layer reaches 65 to 72˚C within a day or two due to the massive bacterial activity, generally it does not need any water adjustment until the first turn where some of the outer material may be a little dry and require damping as it is mixed to the middle of the heap, here you are more at risk of the heap getting too wet and going anaerobic, but if I do bother with regular turning I can get fully finished  even compost in about 4 months over the summer months.

From October to the end of may we get frosts and everything becomes much slower less green input much more brown and fully finishing can take up to 9 months. 

The method on the video relies on totally different methods of having to constantly adding water and climate to drive bacterial fermentation, in the uk we also rely a lot on fungi and bacteria that create the heat, neem trees have never seen frost , and cost a fortune here, if you have them a great thing adding some azadirachtin  to the compost that can be taken up by your plants systemically.

• Like 15

If you want to process stuff to use quickly Bokashi could he worth a look, obviously you can't plant stuff in it but great for top dressing and enriching big beds.

Also, while on the subject of self sufficiency, I'd recommend reading a book called The One Straw Revolution by Masanobu Fukuoka (if you haven't already), it's just a really inspiring book, with a lot of interesting insights about producing food in a regenerative way while minimising work loads.

20 hours ago, Military Grade said:

I came across this the other day

Its not what I would call compost, but what an interesting person, I have learned a lot from his videos especially about growing ginger, I'm so glad you posted the link @Military Grade thank you!

• Like 1