Drying Buds

ukblazer187

Hi Everyone,

I am hopeful that my Auto flowering outdoor plants (x5) are going to make it to the drying stage and so am now starting to plan how I will go about this. Last year I had rapid bud rot so ended up quick drying them to minimise any spread to the good buds. This year I have started the grow earlier and been moving them under cover when rain is forecast so hoping no rot issues and I can dry / cure properly.

At the moment I have no plans to grow indoors in a grow tent due to space, but this may be an option for the future.

As such I am looking into a way I can dry my buds at the correct humidity and temperature given that I live in the south coast of the UK and RH at the moment in my garage is about 72%!

I am considering a cheap grow tent with a humidity / temperature controlled socket connected to a dehumidifyer and possible some fans. Something like below:

large_gear.JPG

I appreciate this is budget and would probably not be ideal for a proper indoor grow, but for a drying process and possibility to expand into a full indoor grow in the future is this OK?

One area I am unsure of is the ventilation / fan in combination with the dehumidifyer. If the fan is running 27/7 will it not dry my buds too fast and not allow the dehumidifyer to work due to constant air change? I originally thought I could just have a small USB style fan blowing inside the tent with a vent open for natural air flow at the top and bottom with the dehumidifyer on, but many reviews say air circulation is needed to prevent mould etc.

Any advice much appreciated.

Guest anarchycamp

I've used the same setup for drying before minus the inkbird/humidifier. I actually used the black orchid fan as a breeze fan next to the intake (inside the tent) while I used a different fan for the extract.

Edit: I used a varispeed (blue knob) controller to bring the 4" fan speed down to control temps but I DO NOT CONDONE THIS:cowboy:

Edited by anarchycamp
Fan controller

10 hours ago, anarchycamp said:

I've used the same setup for drying before minus the inkbird/humidifier. I actually used the black orchid fan as a breeze fan next to the intake (inside the tent) while I used a different fan for the extract.

Edit: I used a varispeed (blue knob) controller to bring the 4" fan speed down to control temps but I DO NOT CONDONE THIS:cowboy:

Would I be able to get by with just the one fan as in the shopping list I posted?

Do you mean you used a varispeed to stop the fan shifting too much air and drying them too fast? Why do you not condone that, is it bad for the fan?

Just now, lildaveham said:

I wouldnt advise a dehumidifier for drying at all it would ruin the dry imo.

:yinyang:

I was only going to have it automatically turn on if humidity went above 50 - 55% RH.

Ideal drying temps are between 16c-18c, your extract would need to be slowed down so you get some air exchange but not too much so it drys quick. You are looking for a long slow dry over 14-21days for optimum results. 

I would say that the Tent, Fan, fan controller and filter are all you need for a drying chamber. Regards to the RH it would start out at 70% ish and when dry enough to de stalk it would be about 55-60 so the dehumidifyer is pointless imo.

Edited by lildaveham
  • Like 7

Just now, lildaveham said:

Ideal drying temps are between 16c-18c, your extract would need to be slowed down so you get some air exchange but not too much so it drys quick. You are looking for a long slow dry over 14-21days for optimum results. 

I would say that the Tent, Fan, fan controller and filter are all you need for a drying chamber. Regards to the RH it would start out at 70% ish and when dry enough to de stalk it would be about 55-60 so the dehumidifyer is pointless imo.

But if the RH in my garage is usually around 70% wont that make the chance of rot higher? How else can you bring the humidity in a drying tent down if the ambient RH is 70+c? Does air circulation alone cause the tent humidity to go down?

My Idea came from some posts I have been reading about curing meats. I know it is different but there humidity needs to be controlled. Link

• Like 1

Firstly i would not reccomend drying in your garage as temprature swings along with the high humidity you have would be unmanageable. If you were to attempt to manage the humidity with a dehumidifier you would be sucking the moisture out of the air whilst also generating some heat both of which would be very detrimental to the long slow dry you want to achieve. The long slow dry also allows the last bits of chlorophyl to break down and leads to a better smoke/vape.

Is there no way you can setup the tent in your house?

• Like 1

Guest anarchycamp

@ukblazer187 I wouldn't condone the varispeed fan controller as it is essentially a fire hazard being a cheap made product in a plastic case, but for a 4"/5" fan (not sure on ec fans or mixed flow) they work fine for me and get a 1.2m tent to about 17/18/19 for drying. For the 2/3 weeks drying I'd say you are good,but it's budget..

Just go back after half hour n check the temps, adjust accordingly.

Regarding the black orchid fan,for a drying tent 60cm I reckon you're sound. You'd still want some tiny fan to push air around low down

As @lildaveham said bring it inside and ditch the dehumidifier

• 4 weeks later...

I got a cheap drying tent 120cm and I use it with a 4, in ram filter and a cheap 4 in fan that already has a on off switch and speed controller on the mains.

I might get a led and run one or two auto's in it.

I have bungees and s hooks and string to tie the plants from the tent ceiling.

You should probably think about a AC unit that has a dehumidifier built in.

Nobody wants to harvest in high heat but what else can you do?

Subs

• Like 1

I got a herbdryer/weedryer XL last year works 85% well the 15% that missing is marked down to smell leakage it doesnt clean all smells through the filter but isnt horrendously bait .

I like it .

On 05/08/2021 at 7:31 AM, B-real said:

I got a herbdryer/weedryer XL last year works 85% well the 15% that missing is marked down to smell leakage it doesnt clean all smells through the filter but isnt horrendously bait .

I like it .

How much do these fit in? Currently trying to use loft space but get to hot up there daytime, if had something like this might sweettalk it into a corner of house instead if smell wasn't outrageous 

Just now, tescoturnip said:

How much do these fit in? Currently trying to use loft space but get to hot up there daytime, if had something like this might sweettalk it into a corner of house instead if smell wasn't outrageous 

Quite a bit man XL i reckon a Oz at least per shelf .

Probz upto 3 oz really per shelf and theres 4 or 5 shelves.

Smell does leak but i wet trimmed too so after 24 hours the fresh weed pongs gone i use inscense and room sprays and that works ok .

Worth it i reckon