QWET

Roofless won

Hi people, given the fact that I'm a lightweight and that a dynavap appears to be a very efficient way of consuming weed I envisage that I will shortly be the proud owner of far more weed than I could possibly vape in the immediate future. Hopefully later this year I will be leaving the country for an extended period of time which gives me a bit of a problem as to what to do with my harvest. My understanding is that properly dried and cured bud still only has a shelf life of around 6 months stored in jars but I want to store my harvest for much longer than that so is QWET the answer? From what I've read ethanol tinctures can remain viable for years rather than months if stored correctly - is that correct? Assuming it is here's the plan:

1 dry harvest

2 decarb bud in oven (I know alot of people decarb after they have made their QWET but atm I'm not 100% sure how I will be using it, my main consideration is to achieve a viable long term storage method).

3 put decarbed bud  and ethanol in freezer overnight, pour ethanol over bud, shake well, leave 3 mins then filter through a couple of coffee filters

4 pour into mason jar, seal and leave in a cool dark place until the apocalypse

One thing I'm curious about, could I use the same alcohol to repeat the process multiple times (thereby increasing the concentration of my tincture) or should I use fresh alcohol each time?

Thanks for reading, any comments appreciated

Edited by Roofless won
Spelling

Bud lasts much longer than 6months , some cure for months, never made qwet , but sure someone will be along soon enough :yinyang:

• Like 1

I know a bloke who won't smoke his buds till they've been cured for a minimum of 6months! lol

Shelf life is much longer. As long as its in an airtight container stored in a cool dark place its good for years imo. 

I'm not a fan of vacuum packing personally but it does have its pros.. 

Regards doing multiple washes with the same alcohol : yes you can.  How many times I'm not sure, but it would depend on the total volume of alcohol used. At some point the solution will reach its saturation point. When that happens it won't be able to hold anymore oil and won't wash the buds as effectively. 

Without looking I've no idea the exact amount that would be sorry. 

• Like 1

You can get vacuum tubs, doesn't crush the buds. I've also rigged up a little jar with valves so I can purge it with CO2... going to try it when I crop.

• Like 3

I don't think reusing the same alcohol will be very effective. I only say this as I have experimented with differing amounts of bud to the same amount of alcohol and even putting quadruple the amount of bud in doesn't make it that much different. It's only going to have so much capacity to carry cannabinoids. If you want to increase the strength of the tincture you are better to evaporate the alcohol off. This is quite dangerous though, so if you do make sure its in a well vented area....preferably outside. Some people use rice cookers for this process.

I don't know how much product you will have but it might be worth looking into a magic butter machine for doing tincture, you could also make some other products such as coconut oil which has a good shelf life.

As for keeping buds then vac packing is the best way to keep them fresh, they keep for ages if they're kept cool and in a dark place.

• Like 1

Vac packing does work well just be sure the bud is Dry , i prefer jars as i dont keep anything very long term:haveadab:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KC said:

I don't think reusing the same alcohol will be very effective. I only say this as I have experimented with differing amounts of bud to the same amount of alcohol and even putting quadruple the amount of bud in doesn't make it that much different. It's only going to have so much capacity to carry cannabinoids. If you want to increase the strength of the tincture you are better to evaporate the alcohol off. This is quite dangerous though, so if you do make sure its in a well vented area....preferably outside. Some people use rice cookers for this process.

I don't know how much product you will have but it might be worth looking into a magic butter machine for doing tincture, you could also make some other products such as coconut oil which has a good shelf life.

As for keeping buds then vac packing is the best way to keep them fresh, they keep for ages if they're kept cool and in a dark place.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply, being a tight arse I was hoping to limit my expenditure by reusing my ethanol to achieve a higher concentration by simply reusing the same liquid for washes but as KC says this doesn't work. I Found this elsewhere :

Once in solution, the oil and ethanol will mix at any ratio. It is just limited to how much it will extract before grinding to a crawl long before saturation

So basically I need to use fresh ethanol each time and then concentrate after extraction if I so desire, I could try to recover the ethanol for re-use or simply buy more

Edited by Roofless won
Spelling

Check out liquid essences for cheap food grade ethanol. I was buying the expensive shit for ages and even though it works out cheap when you consider the alcohol content it still hurts paying 70quid for a ltr. 

There are ways to recapture the alcohol if you want but I just keep mine in alcohol form. It gets you stoned so fast and I'm not sure you could even vape that much in a day to get you as stoned. Obviously not good if you don't like to drink alcohol though. 

I'm in love with tincture lol

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, KC said:

Check out liquid essences for cheap food grade ethanol. I was buying the expensive shit for ages and even though it works out cheap when you consider the alcohol content it still hurts paying 70quid for a ltr. 

There are ways to recapture the alcohol if you want but I just keep mine in alcohol form. It gets you stoned so fast and I'm not sure you could even vape that much in a day to get you as stoned. Obviously not good if you don't like to drink alcohol though. 

I'm in love with tincture lol

Liquid essences is where I've ordered my ethanol from - I was a bit dubious about the site so good hear that someone here uses them. Apparently 190 proof dropped under the tongue burns a bit - that's the only bit I'm not looking forward to so I was kinda thinking ahead to what I could do if I find the sensation unbearable. How much bud to alcohol do you use for your extractions KC? I assume you decarb before extraction? Do you use the freezer method too?

Edited by Roofless won
  • Like 2

Yes decarb before then I use 14g to a cup (240ml). I have tried way more but it doesn't seem worth the amount of bud really. 

I don't use the freezer method, I use my magical butter machine. It actually heats it rather than freezes. 71celcius I believe. Worth it's weight in gold. It makes other things too of course. Worth a search online. 

I don't do mine on the tongue, I put it in a drink. I have a double gin with bitter lemon but anything will work. 

My mate puts his on beer, I just think that's dirty though lol

Edited by KC
Predictive
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Graywolf said:

You can use the alcohol for more than one extraction.  As it saturates it slows down, but will hold around a third it weight in oil when extracting.

Here is our tek:   https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/diy-cannamed-production/9-4-extraction/9-4-7-ethanol-extraction/9-4-7-1-qwet 

Hi Gray wolf, thanks for taking the time to comment, I note your process includes an oven dry but that's not to decarb is it? If I decarb before extraction which is my intention am I going to remove so much water that the freezing to lock up the chlorophyll becomes ineffective?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KC said:

Yes decarb before then I use 14g to a cup (240ml). I have tried way more but it doesn't seem worth the amount of bud really. 

I don't use the freezer method, I use my magical butter machine. It actually heats it rather than freezes. 71celcius I believe. Worth it's weight in gold. It makes other things too of course. Worth a search online. 

I don't do mine on the tongue, I put it in a drink. I have a double gin with bitter lemon but anything will work. 

My mate puts his on beer, I just think that's dirty though lol

The MBM looks very nice - how long does the process take? I assume the MBM extracts everything? Chlorophyll and all?

• Like 1