beneficials in coco

badbillybob

hello, im turning to the dark side for a grow, just cos im fed up of dealing with root rot in my beloved hydro during summer heatwaves...

im planning using coco, and have just ordered some tnc mycorrmax to try in pot ups.

ive used beneficials before in soil, and noticed an improvement in the overall health of the plants.

just wondered if anyone uses it in coco, and if so, whats your thoughts?

does it mess with anything, ph  etc? notice any improvement etc? worthwhile? honest opinions appreciated....

and discuss............

• Like 2

@badbillybob i think i have tried every benifical microbes etc in coco and to be honest i had better results just using liquid seaweed and for extra Trichones I found a silica supplement produced the goods, just go easy on the silica.

Toke...

• Like 1

I definitely see a difference with ecothrive charge and lowered the ec down a notch  . Vigorous and healthy structured plants.

• Like 6

I like using beneficials, plants produce more complex aroma bouqets when there are beneficial microbes and fungus interacting within the root zone. I use ecothrive coco with charge added, and have been using mammoth P but apparently its all full of lead and I ought to be hung drawn and quartered.

• Like 15

bionova -stimulant xcel at the moment,can't comment yet but heard good things ,can bu used as foliar too

• Like 1

I've been round the houses on this one many times and I think it's pretty much a load of nonsense now.  Root stimulant of some kind, A, B, done. 

Eta - not saying they don't do anything, but it's not 'enough' to warrant the price or hassle.  

Edited by fatboy77

I've done it both ways and I'm inclined to think bennies are a good thing in coco with some kind of seaweed food for them. TBH, silica, although sound in principle, hasn't reduced the incidence of bud mould at late flowering and I haven't noticed much difference in vigour. In fact, I think it just adds more unnecessary ions to the mix by having to compensate for the increased alkalinity with more acid. Seaweed of some sort ( which is a root stimulant), a and b, bennies from next grow I think. Just been playing with fulvic acid powder to aid nute absorption by chelating ions and can't say it's done anything noticeable, so that is out.

Concerning pure hydro, given the difficulty of balancing between sufficient temperature with adequate oxygenation, I feel the 3 degree window for growing adequately in dwc-types  is too narrow. My guess is aeroponics is the only real way to balance the temperature and oxygen holding parameters with wide enough tolerance to avoid root infection issues. I'm sure aeroponics is a whole new learning curve in itself but seems to allow a  good temp range with plentiful oxygenation. To cap, bennies in coco shouldn't  cause you any issues if you just inoculate at the beginning and each pot up.  The beauty of dtw coco is you are constantly resetting the rhizosphere to ideal every watering. Resolution of issues is pretty quick and easily identified I think.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 3

@GSZZ not just the lead in mammoth. Polyacrylamide is also in there apparently a neuro toxin called acrylamide in there in small traces . You mentioning lead made me have a look and it seems a thing. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, GSZZ said:

been using mammoth P but apparently its all full of lead

Would it not have to be concentrated in the extreme to be a worry, given its dilution rates…?

"One litre mixes into over 6000 litres of nutrient solution! A little goes a long way"

Homeopathy....

And it's OMRI listed, Surly they'd have a heavy metals limit.

I'm happy to keep using Mammoth P, I found another chart just like Mel's, within 5- 10 mins of searching with different numbers listed under the Heavy metals.....

For me, I noticed a massive différance in rooting speed when using it, tad worried using too much of it because having hard water it's easy to lockout with Increased P. Apart from that best additive I've ever used.

@badbillybob

Mycormax is great stuff and affordable but given it's in powder form and with coco you have increased watering

Wouldn't something like Biosys be more preferable  in coco ?

Be afraid, over time, the mycor might wash away?

"While polyacrylamide itself is relatively non-toxic, it is known that commercially available polyacrylamide contains minute residual amounts of acrylamide remaining from its production, usually less than 0.05% w/w. Additionally, there are concerns that polyacrylamide may de-polymerise to form acrylamide."

Acrylamide can definitely be harmful. Yet, as is often the case in nutrition, the devil is in the dose.

Sounds scary but if you've ever eaten burnt toast or roast potatoes then this is statically irrelevant given the dilution rates.

Personally, I'm more concerned with

• Like 2

yes, i too am afraid of the rise in cancer rates , autism, and the decline in general health, caused undoubtedly by unethical farming etc.

But not enough people are doing anything about it. We have been brainwashed to just accept shit, over the years

Anyway, the mycorr wont wash out, it colonises the roots within a matter of hours, from what ive read, so if i water the pot before repotting , im sure ill be ok. i was stunned to learn how many hundreds of thousands of bacteria there are per gram of this stuff

a mate uses the charge and swears by it, but i wanted to try the mycorrmax.

• Like 5

@BarrySHitPeas  Endomychorrizae, that protect the plants roots directly, have a symbiotic relationship within the roots themselves, as opposed to ecto's, which populate the media itself. They only need to be inoculated once or twice.

• Like 3

Yeah, you guys are total right about the washing away thing. My bad. @badbillybob @catweazle1

But IME if you use more, it seemed to work quicker, in hindsight it was probably the humic acid and ecto's like catweazle mentioned, that makes sense, thanks.

On a 75g pack it said to use 50g per 15 LTR, I use (15 LTR air pot's)So I'd use a whole one on each pot and saw a big improvement over just dusting the root balls ...rather wasteful I just like using fresh packets.

Never wanted to use that 25g from previous grow from an already opened packet

Oh, and with bennies the plants seem happy and for 7.45 that's OK with me, they are alive after all, they give it us back.

• Like 2

@BarrySHitPeas Have you thought about using fulvic acid, which is what Humic acid breaks down to after a long while... it is then usable by the plant straightaway. 

• Like 1

Another vote for the charge + biosys here.

I've only done 2 grows with it but the charge and biosys combo make my plants alot happier than the PM granules /great white i have used before this, also cheaper if i remember correctly. 

The only thing I've seen perk up a plant as quick as a biosys tea is a foliar of aloe vera with a splash of coconut water.

(helped my girls when I kept them in 1L pots and they got upset) 

I'm still relatively inexperienced but that's working best for me so far

Atb:smokin:

• Like 3