Heated propagator

Yes they're great, but only if controlled by a reliable thermostat (such as an Inkbird). Otherwise it's way too easy to cook the seeds. 

• Like 4

I’ve got a few heat mats lying around that I could use. Just need to buy a thermostat. 

I was thinking of using spacers so there is a gap between the mat and tray base, but the seeds weren’t cheap. So prob not worth risking. 

• Like 2

You don't really need a propagator for seedings because seedings have roots, cuttings need a propagator because they don't have any roots.

Plus, I don't know whether you've noticed or not, but it's hot as fuck at this time of year. 

I use a seed tray, add soil/coco/whatever, then plant seeds, mist the medium, and leave them on the PlayStation 4 until they break the surface. 

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Saddam said:

You don't really need a propagator for seedings because seedings have roots, cuttings need a propagator because they don't have any roots.

Plus, I don't know whether you've noticed or not, but it's hot as fuck at this time of year. 

I use a seed tray, add soil/coco/whatever, then plant seeds, mist the medium, and leave them on the PlayStation 4 until they break the surface. 

10 points for being a glass half full kind of guy but hot as fuck is certainly not how I'd describe this summer. Got my wooly socks on this evening!

• Like 3

Heated propagator really useful for germinating seeds. As others have said, plug it into an Inkbird or similar (you can thermostatic controllers for reptile tanks that work the same way and are cheaper). Put the temperature probe into the soil. Then it will keep the soil at your target temperature during the cooler night hours.