Advanced Nutrients & Silver Bullet - Sludge

kherc

I had an issue with a brown furry sludge appearing in the system and stumbled across another post on here which suggested it was due to Silver Bullet. Cutting out the Sliver Bullet has vastly improved things, although not 100%.

I decided to do some tests and filled 2 x 3L pots with 1ml/L Sensi A+B, adding Silver Bullet at 4ml/10L to only one (the right one in the pic).

Its been a couple of days so far and although there is not sludge appearing there is a noticeable colour difference between the two mixtures (definitely not the lighting either). Also I noticed that when I stirred the one with SB in, there were obvious 'bits' floating, whereas nothing in the one without. Clearly it seems the SB is doing something to AN, although I can't be sure if it is specifically SB or H2O2.

Does anyone know if this occurs with Hydroguard? Not the easiest to get hold of it seems.

Thanks in advance.

large.pot_pic.jpg

Just now, kherc said:

SB or H2O2.

Must be the bullet causing this bud, I use AN nutes, Buddhas Tree PK and Oxyplus (when needed) so it's not H2O2...:yep:

• Like 1

Just now, stu914 said:

Must be the bullet causing this bud, I use AN nutes, Buddhas Tree PK and Oxyplus (when needed) so it's not H2O2...:yep:

Ye, I thought as much. Not familiar with BT PK and Oxyplus so I'll have a look.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, kherc said:

Ye, I thought as much. Not familiar with BT PK and Oxyplus so I'll have a look.

I only use the AN base nutes, a+b grow and a+b bloom with the buddhas pk during flower...no need for the rest of their range or any other additives

23 minutes ago, stu914 said:

I only use the AN base nutes, a+b grow and a+b bloom with the buddhas pk during flower...no need for the rest of their range or any other additives

I've used AN for years now, but only really in soil, hydro much more recently. As for additives, I generally use big bud which, as far as I can tell, does help them. Plus B-52 and Bud Candy sometimes too, although not as sure about those two.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, kherc said:

I've used AN for years now,

Well over 10 years on these nutes for me, never in soil though. Always been really pleased with the results, good quality, no deficiencies or other issues,

I used to get just shy of 1gpw and since changing lights to led that's jumped to around 1.5gpw  just using A+B and BT PK...:yep:

What grow system are you using bud?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stu914 said:

What grow system are you using bud?

I've got an IWS DWC system, it's okay, although it a pain to clean the system out properly.

Going to upgrade to the Alien system, waiting for a quote on a setup.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, kherc said:

Alien system,

If you fancy a bit of DIY and a twist on the alien have a look at my gallery...Hybrid flood and drain/Top feed watering system...:yep:

• Like 1

Just now, stu914 said:

If you fancy a bit of DIY and a twist on the alien have a look at my gallery...Hybrid flood and drain/Top feed watering system...:yep:

Nice. I've got a little larger area hence so go for individual pots. Thought about a DIY setup, just haven't really got all the time to sort the bits for an individual pot setup.

How quiet is Revolution Fan you got there? 8 inch I presume? 

• Like 1

Just now, kherc said:

How quiet is Revolution Fan you got there? 8 inch I presume? 

Only the 6" but works a treat, no noise at all below about 60% then a bit of a whoosh but not much.

It's hooked up to a GAS controller and Carboair filter...chuffed to bits with it...:yep:

• Like 1

Just now, stu914 said:

Only the 6" but works a treat, no noise at all below about 60% then a bit of a whoosh but not much.

It's hooked up to a GAS controller and Carboair filter...chuffed to bits with it...:yep:

Good to know as it's more than double the price of the box fan I have atm, and part of the upgrade quote (although 8")! I've got some of the fast clamps too, expensive but really makes it a damn sight easier /  quicker connecting things.

• Like 1

Just now, kherc said:

fast clamps

Make sure you use silver duct tape to seal the joint before attaching the fast clamp, they don't fare too well at keeping smell in otherwise...:yep:

Just done a test with adding Oxygen (basically the same as Oxyplus) and the same thing happens but worse.

All contain 3L of plain tap water (0.1 EC) and have 3ml/L of A+B, far right is just A+B, middle has 4ml/10L (1.2ml overall) of Silver Bullet added and far left has 1ml/L Oxygen added.

I am now fairly confident now that it has to be the H2O2 and not specifically the Silver Bullet. They have been left a couple of days so far and I'll leave them another couple of days before emptying, see if they produced the same 'sludge' as the last ones did, which was very obvious after emptying (see pic in my gallery).

large.ab_sb_oxygen.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/07/2021 at 2:51 PM, kherc said:

Just done a test with adding Oxygen (basically the same as Oxyplus) and the same thing happens but worse.

All contain 3L of plain tap water (0.1 EC) and have 3ml/L of A+B, far right is just A+B, middle has 4ml/10L (1.2ml overall) of Silver Bullet added and far left has 1ml/L Oxygen added.

I am now fairly confident now that it has to be the H2O2 and not specifically the Silver Bullet. They have been left a couple of days so far and I'll leave them another couple of days before emptying, see if they produced the same 'sludge' as the last ones did, which was very obvious after emptying (see pic in my gallery).

large.ab_sb_oxygen.jpg

Glad i came across just switching to sensi nutes myself. I read somewhere that there are organic something or other in sensi . May be that causing your sludge when coming into contact with the silver bullet? I have always used h202 with ionic that i have been using but think i will be ditching it when i make the change over. Starting a dwc so dont want to be changing ph constantly with 400l a water at a time. 

Edited by Matthew420
Error