PPM

stoner

my old trusty pen meter gave up and ive had to buy a new 1, my old meter would say 0.80, 1.2 etc, my new one reads in ppm, am i correct in say 0.8 would be 800 and 1.2 would be 1200ppm with my new pen?

hope that makes sense but ive had a few beers and not much to eat lol

Google EC to PPM conversion, there's calculators to convert one to the other.

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 2

Mate PPM is a bad measure to use because there is more than one calculation or scale to work out PPM, so essentially one measurement or scale of PPM is different to the other. 

I used to use a PPM meter but i stopped because of this reason. EC is always EC, but PPM is not always PPM. there might be 3 different calculations to work out PPM, so you need to know what scale your meter is using. 

I hope this makes sense, but when you do more research you will find that there are 3 different measurements for PPM. You will need to know what your specific meter reads in.

My personal advice is to just get an EC meter so its easy to discuss Nutrient strength, and also understand other peoples feed strengths in a much easier way. 

If you type EC to PPM conversion in google you will see what i mean. three different conversions, therefore 3 different versions of what PPM is.

Again - EC = EC, but PPM is not always the same PPM. 

Hope tis helps. Probably only confused you more! 

Edited by Moonstone420
  • Like 1

That's why I suggested googling for EC PPM conversion, cos there's calculators that use different things.

I'm a mud grower, no need to bother with stuff like EC and PPM lol That's fucking alchemy to me, I just put plants in a pot with compost and then add a certain number of millitres of nutes per litre of water depending on where I am in the grow and the colour of the leaves lol

• Like 1

i used the 0.5 conversion for years, with no issues.

So 200ppm  would be 0.4, 500 would be 1.0 etc etc.

you will get used to what your plants read and the different conversions make little difference to the final ec reading. it wont make a gnats cock of difference imho. it will teach you how to read your plants better too.

and my stoner head cant be fucked with using calculators to work out feeds lol

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 1

well i shat it and bought a Bluelab Truncheon :wanker:

thought of wasting almost 2 months of grow made my mind up

• Like 1

I do agree with @badbillybob, but I also think EC is the best measure to use for simplicity, and transference of information between people. 

But the Blue lab EC meters are a solid piece of kit, so you made a good purchase there! 

• Like 1