What eats these little b*****ds?

MindSoup

Little white aphid type things, leave a sticky residue all over everything, absolutely ravaging this poor little runt on my windowsill. I will be chopping and most likely binning her, don't fancy smoking all them insects and their shit lol

large.IMG_20210620_151750_compress83.jpglarge.IMG_20210620_151734_compress40.jpglarge.IMG_20210620_151820_compress56.jpg

Keen to get some predators in case they find their way into the grow tent. What do I need to buy ? 

• Like 1

Ladybirds are the best for aphids.

Mad, I have never seen aphids attack canna like that, I always get them on my chilli plants, and they never migrate no matter how close they are.

• Like 1

Just now, audioaddict said:

Ladybirds are the best for aphids.

Mad, I have never seen aphids attack canna like that, I always get them on my chilli plants, and they never migrate no matter how close they are.

Yeah suprised me as well. She has been a sickly little thing so whatever stragglers where left from the removal of its neighbour must have spotted an easy target and latched on, I only just noticed cos she had already yellowed off beforehand. Ironically if I'd left that thing inside they probably would have left her alone. 

Will lady bugs leave eggs etc and come back when needed like some other predators do ? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Will lady bugs leave eggs etc and come back when needed like some other predators do ? 

Am not sure, though they have a fairly complex lifecyle, having to go through a few stages before reaching adulthood, so I doubt they would return consistantly anyway.

A simple, soap based spray will keep the little buggers under control fairly well.

Edited by audioaddict
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, audioaddict said:

Am not sure, though they have a fairly complex lifecyle, having to go through a few stages before reaching adulthood, so I doubt they would return consistantly anyway.

A simple, soap based spray will keep the little buggers under control fairly well.

I see, well I think I'll just keep a sharp eye out and buy some if/when they find their way onto my ladies, was hoping there was something a bit like Steinernema feltiae (fungus gnat predators) that lay 

Dormant in the soil in wait of an infestation, ready to spring to action. I do use the soap trick on non edible/smokable plants, but I have always worried about doing it during flower on a cannabis plant.

As a bonus they do seem to only be present non the outer leaves, not anywhere that had trichomes, so with some careful trimming I've managed to rescue the buds from the bin, I'm sure they'll be rough as fuck to smoke, but waste not want not, cant be any worse than the poo bar and sprayed bud I've smoked in the past.  

• Like 2