EC and PH

the punter

Hello to all and thanks if your reading this and can help me decide what to do. I have been growing in soil for about 3 years but am thinking of  trying coco, what's stopping me is the thought of PH and EC pens , all of which i can't get my head round, it all sounds really complicated . if i used PH perfect nutrients would  this mean i can treat them like it was soil as in no PH  or EC pens needed . I live in a soft water area if that helps any help would be great

• Like 2

1 hour ago, the punter said:

PH perfect nutrients would  this mean i can treat them like it was soil as in no PH  or EC pens needed

Hi bud,

I use PH perfect nutes in hydro and they work really well. You can forget PH adjustment or checking.

You could get away with following the feed chart on the bottles and watch the plants see how they react if that's what you're

used to doing...:yep:

cheers stu914,  you have made my mind up for me, i will be giving coco a try for sure now, thanks again pal

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, the punter said:

cheers stu914,  you have made my mind up for me, i will be giving coco a try for sure now, thanks again pal

Yr welcome bud, tag me if you have any probs with those nutes...:yep:

• Like 1

Hey @stu914 , 15k posts, i presume you know your stuff , and have probably grown in untold ways... what are your reasons for using ph perfect stuff  please mate

To each their own, but I have used PH perfect in coco and I dont think that theres a worse nutrient on the market. I had nothing but insane ph problems the entire grow. Using the exact same water and the exact same bottle of nutes, I measured the solution as low as 5, and as high as 9. I wouldnt use it again if AN paid me, and neither would thousands of people all over the world. A quick google of ph perfect problems will turn up hundreds of threads of people calling it out. Tbh, Stu is the first person I have ever heard say anything positive about it.

What are your problems with PH and EC?? They are both very simple to measure and adjust.

8 hours ago, Lemons&Diesel said:

I measured the solution

There's your problem, I bet you tried to adjust PH as well?

9 hours ago, Nuggsy said:

15k posts, i presume you know your stuff

I do, but post count is not a reflection of someone's grow skills

• Like 5

Afternoon all and thanks for the replies, your plants are looking really well Stu 914, that's made me feel a bit more confident about trying coco, if i could get mine to look like that in coco then that would do for me. In response to Lemon and Diesels question, the reason for being a bit worried about PH and EC is that i find it a bit confusing. Would i be right in thinking that say 1.5 EC is the same as 1.5ml  of feed per liter. Do you start off on say 1ml and build it up to say 3ml , thanks for any replies.

Edited by Owderb
  • Like 1

@the punter EC stands for  'electroconductivity'. The more ions i.e. nutes, in the water the higher the reading. 0.1ec is equal to 50mg of dissolved solids on the the 500 scale. 1.0ec is equal to 1000mg or 1g of dissolved solids. Basically, find the ec of your tapwater, then add your nutes up to 1.2-1.6ec for a mature plant... I aim for 1.2ec.    Runoff ec is where you measure your runoff water, which should amount to about 25-30% of the volume going in. In a normal situation, everytime you measure runoff ec it will be higher than the ec of the ingoing feed ec.... this is due to evaporation in between waterings. If the runoff ec is within 0.2ec of your ingoing ec that's ok. If it's higher increase the frequency of waterings to restore the ec to your target ec. You control the runoff ec with the frequiency of your waterings, so, on a hot low humidity day you will be watering more than on a day with high humidity and lower temps. A normal watering frequency for a mature plant will be two or three times a day. I can't tell you everything in one post but ask here what the best ec numbers are for each growth stage when you are ready. For nutes just start out with hard or soft water A and B nutes, pH down, and rhizotonic.  With your pH meter, set your feed pH to 5.5 - 6.0... don't worry about runoff pH. Get calmag as a backup in case your runoff ec drops below your feed ec... it means the coco wasn't buffered properly but can be sorted out in situ by adding 0.2ec on top of your nutes. As you can see, with an ec meter, you think in terms of ec units and not volume. I highly recommend the Blue Lab EC truncheon if you can spare 70-80 quid.... it's as simple as it gets.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 4

That's an excellent reply catweazle, thanks for your time, i must admit though I  am still finding it hard to get my head around all the numbers but i have to start somewhere. I've heard of Blue Lab truncheons before, cheers for the advice, I will have a look at them. I'll keep reading your post and try to get it in my head, i was hoping it would be as easy as soil ,though i can run into problems with that as well I normally get to harvest ok. Maybe i could try what Stu914 says first , just on one plant first and see how it goes. the reasons for changing are due to some ban on peat in 2023 or so the reports say, also not wanting to help wreak the environment just so i can have 4 plants played its hand. Thanks again catweazle

Edited by Owderb
Bold lettering means you are shouting
  • Like 1

@the punter If you go the pH perfect route, only buy the nutes... the rest can be bought cheaper elsewhere. Most additives are bollocks. You will do fine on a and b and rhizotonic. Master using them first.

• Like 1

cheers catweazle, sorry about the bold lettering , didn't even know it was on that or what it meant, don't know much about computers, still trying to find my way around the site, anyway i hope that's sorted. I will try the rhizotonic and a and b , and try PH perfect, and no additives, it sounds like good advice, thanks again , hopefully iv sorted the lettering as well

• Like 2