Trim sugar leaves or not?

Crow River

I'm drying some of my first harvest at the moment, a couple of auto flowers. I just took off the fan leaves and hung the entire plants up in my grow cabinet.

I'm aware that conventional wisdom suggests that after a week or so of drying, I should trim the sugar leaves off the buds. However this seems to be linked to hash production a lot of the time, or making extracts/edibles. While I do plan on making infused oil, I will not be smoking my weed in any form. I'm going to vape it in a dry herb vape instead. This is for health reasons mostly - I'm an asthmatic ex-smoker (tobacco and weed) and vaping is much, much easier on the lungs. I plan to use my AVB (or vape poo) to make infused oil once I've collected enough.

So I'm thinking that it might be better if I leave the sugar leaves on the buds rather than trim them off. The strain I grew is quite leafy anyway so the buds are covered in them. I can just vape the whole lot, and I'll still have my AVB to process into oil afterwards.

Anyone have strong preferences on this? What do you do? Do you trim or do you leave them on? I'm interested to see if there's maybe a difference in the way smokers dry and cure their weed compared to vapers. 

Edited by Crow River

I, personally, got increasingly lazy with trimming. I was meticulous in getting inside the bud to trim all the leaves and using it for hash and edibles. In the end I’d remove the fan leaves, give a quick trim down the side of the buds so there were no obvious leaves sticking out (bag appeal isn’t important when it’s your own imho). I’d collect what I did trim and use that to make some infused oil for edibles. 

If it’s your own and your vaping it, personally, I wouldn’t get to heavy with the trimming if all the leaves are covered in trichs. 

• Like 1

Same here, after drying I take the fans off and a quick whip over some of the sugar leaves with scissors/fingers for some bubble hash. Iirc leaving the plant whole while drying will slow the drying time down, which is usually preferable, especially warmer months.

• Like 3

Life's too short to properly manicure all your bud.

Just go all Sweeny Todd on it, any accidental amputations just go in the pot marked 'hash' :police:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mikeydoughnut said:

My jars contain nowt but cobwebs and I’m ashamed to say I’m smoking trim lol but fuck yers it tastes alright and gets me in’t mood.

Smoking the trim makes you realise just how much TCH you were consuming when hitting the prime buds!

Trimming is a chore, I have left my plants in a weeks worth of total darkness as I couldn't force myself to trim them. Then just rip the fans off and dry the plant almost whole.

Wondering if I should get a bowl trimmer like is being discussed here:

Edited by smokinggolden
  • Like 1

I only trim down to where the trichs stop being dense. Bag appeal means nothing to me, being just a consumer. It's a bit like after the first few drinks... you don't give a fuq.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Openairbud said:

Same here, after drying I take the fans off and a quick whip over some of the sugar leaves with scissors/fingers for some bubble hash. Iirc leaving the plant whole while drying will slow the drying time down, which is usually preferable, especially warmer months.

I do pretty much the same. 

• Like 2