Something’ s been munching the inside of the leaves.

Noopin

I was very fortunate not to have had pest or health issues last year, however, one of my current Blueberry photos is showing evidence of being eaten internally.  Not so much in a continuous “tunnel”, more...well, see pic.large.9013FF79-BDA0-4442-B72F-62E3A82E27A0.jpeg

I’ve removed 4 fan leaves from each plant (there’s only one obviously affected).   There was nothing to see five days ago, and I don’t know how long it takes for something to do this, but they have been outside in the sun during the day since then.  Meaning they were surrounded by all sorts of plants and aphids and similar critters.

Is this something that has been and gone now...or are they still in there?

Are you in coco? If so I’d check your ph pen is on point. Wouldn’t say it’s something eating the leaves. More just somethings off and causing the marks. Seen similar when my ph was slightly out and was bit burnt.

See, @stummer this is why I have to start dealing with more than temperature and light!  I got away with a low-input grow before but it’s time to get to grips with pH.  I expect to pot on soon into 50/25/25 coco, wormcast, soil.

I’d not considered the influence of the medium on pH and presumed it was mostly about water.  So, that’s a pH meter ordered.

As for the leaf damage, I’m used to the idea that a deficiency or overload will tend to show colouration on a leaf, in various patterns, or edge crinkling/curling. The sort of thing that will likely recover to some extent.  The picture’s not the best but it isn’t brown, it’s daylight showing through the fine membrane on each side of the leaf because the inner bit’s gone, presumably eaten.

Frankly, I know an aphid when I see it and that’s about it.  So - something laid an egg in the leaf, which hatched and munched away until  it emerged and left...or didn’t emerge yet.  I’ll comfort myself with the idea that removing the bigger leaves has removed the problem.

Although, knowing the life-cycles of some wee beasties, they probably lay more eggs the moment they hatch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...