Coco run off ec (again)

kronic420

@GSZZ I was actually thinking about using smaller pots next grow currently using 10l pots 4 plants in a 1.2 tent and plants are getting massive even after heavily trimming before flower. Headroom is a constant issue in the loft.

@catweazle1this makes a lot of sense thanks again.

• Like 2

@GSZZ @catweazle1
Little update I ended up flushing through with 0.8ec on Wednesday and decided to go with 6 feeds all 4 hours apart at 1.2 ec , first 6 feeds and was back up to 1.0 , next 6 feeds we are all ready up to 1.3 ec, averaged 40% run off over the 6 feeds.

Edited by kronic420

You said the plants were big for the pots, so plant uptake and evaporation can do that. Your temps must be quite high.

• Like 1

@catweazle1 temps have been around 28-29 in the middle of the canopy I’d imagine a few degrees higher directly under the light so not to bad with the hot weather we’ve had , lights of temps is what’s gone up the most from a average of 21 now up to 24-25 , humidity has been 60-65.

I didn’t mean the plants are big for the pots they are good for 10l pots , just the stretch has caught me out a bit this run and the plants are closer to the light than I’d of liked , being in the loft the tents only 1.8m tall , I was thinking maybe smaller pots would help keep plants a bit smaller.

anyways last nights run off came out at 1.3 again so I’m happy with that I kinda expected it to be back at 1.5. Plants are still looking nice and healthy green haven’t faded at all so will stick at 1.2 

Just to add I have the same cuts in the veg tent and they are already taking 1.4 ec with a run off of 1.1-1.2 , they was getting 1.2 but run off was 0.8 so was asking for more.

@kronic420

That suggests to me your coco might need buffering. I would personally add 0.2ec calmag to that until the runoff  is back nearer the input ec. Leaving it may eventually cause calcium, iron and magnesium deficiency.

Edited by Owderb
Please use the @function
  • Like 1

@catweazle1 I really appreciate your help buddy.
 I was wondering about this as when I first put the cuts into 1l liter pots I tried watering through with 1.0 ec until the runoff matched the input,  I put around 6 litres of feed though each pot and the ec was still coming out lower so gave up   , maybe my local grow shops had a bad batch of canna coco, the plants currently in flower and the plants from the last grow all used coco from the same 50l bag and it was the last grow I had some issues.

Plants in veg are ready to be potted into finals next week and I need a new bag of coco so I’ll grab some cal mag as well and do some testing and read up on buffering as it’s something iv never done or thought I’d ever need to do with canna.

Pic of one of the plants in veg she’s just had a super crop before lights on.

large.72FB4E88-296F-4960-BF1F-D946C3D46975.jpeg

Edited by kronic420

@kronic420 just increase your feed for a few watering.  If I get point 3 or so lower run off  than I'm putting in, I just raise the feed.  It'll buffer itself.

Eg feeding 1.1 and run off is 0.8, I simply feed at 1.4 and it'll buffer.  Bring the feed down as it does.  Pointless and expensive trying to buffer with a slight difference in ec, takes forever. 

@fatboy77 this was pretty much what I done last grow kept increasing feed untill run off was better but only because I thought the plants wanted more food and not the coco needing buffering.

All this reading the run off has definitely added more work/stress to a once lazy coco grower who just watered once in veg and twice a day in flower for the last 3 years lol 

@catweazle1 I had some issues last grow that I thought was underfeeding but in the end was probably over feeding , so thought I’d try doing coco “properly” or the more up to date methods that’s I always read about. 

@kronic420 No harm in learning with instruments, even if you give them up once you've got the feel. I hardly use them now because I know how much to use.  It's good, I think, to have objective numbers attached to your actions to start. It's also useful to get better help with issues  if you give people numbers to look at.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

I think your pot size has a lot to do with this I had the same problem on my first grow I was using a 60/40 mix in 12ltr pots and the dry out was spiking my ec massively, I fixed it by just using pure coco not had the issue since this obviously relies on the relativity to length of time you’ve been vegging for. 

Also I think 1.4+ is abit high for multi watering coco especially ones that are in 10lt pots.