making the switch from soil to hydro...

pitchatent

NFT is very simple so is DWC  you could also look at the passive hydro growing in buckets (hempy buckets)

DWC i am not keen on the noise of the air pumps or roots being under water when its not necessary in other systems

Flood and drain can be simple too systems are normally a bit more expensive 

NFT allows many of the roots to sit in air rather than them all sitting under water

why submerge the roots under water continuously  if its not necessary flood and drain and NFT allow the roots to have more access to oxygen more often

NFT is a go-between hydro and aero its a bare roots system

(requires no medium) 

DWC can have issues with slime for some people i have never seen this myself

NFT has no issues that i have encountered and produces the fastest growth in my testing 

try them all see which one suits YOUR needs best :)

• Like 2

NFT is a pain in the arse. you have to support the plants, small res has larger fluctuations in ec and ph, it goes tits up in NFT quicker than most other hydro systems. Usually root rot related due to higher temps in NFT res etc.

Oh and all this organic soil grown bud is better quality than hydro grown weed is utter crap imho

i bet i could put, lets say 4 buds in front of you,cuts from the same mother, one organic, one hydro, one coco and one compost and 99%  wouldnt know which was which, or notice the difference. 

its only when i started hand watering in coco, again, that i realised what a time drain it is compared to my hydro.

Edited by badbillybob
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, badbillybob said:

Oh and all this organic soil grown bud is better quality than hydro grown weed is utter crap imho

i bet i could put, lets say 4 buds in front of you,cuts from the same mother, one organic, one hydro, one coco and one compost and 99%  wouldnt know which was which, or notice the difference. 

I've always grown organically up until this current run I'm doing now.  I'm trying hempy buckets + synthetic nutes now, so I started a thread here asking for actual evidence that 'organically grown = better' from people who'd grown the same cut in the exact same conditions with both organic vs synthetic nutrients.  Lots of people weighed in saying the same thing you just said, but admitted they hadn't actually tested the same cut side by side... confirmation bias is powerful, as we know.

Interestingly, everyone who HAD run the test I laid out (same environment, same cut, only difference being synthetic vs organic feed) said it would be impossible to tell the difference in the end result.  Assuming it is well grown in both circumstances (not overfed, stressed etc) then it made no real difference as far as they could tell.  That was good enough for me to make the switch, as I'm sick of my chasing my own tail with deficiencies and slow uptake in organics (entirely my own fault I'm sure, I've seen plenty of amazing organic grows, it just requires a higher level of gardening skill and anticipation of needs than I currently possess).

I'm on a pheno hunt looking for a mum or two at the moment, so perhaps when I've found her, I'll run the test for myself on a few cuttings.

EDIT: just realised you said the opposite , you actually agreed with me, and I'm a numpty.  D'oh.

Edited by OneMorePuff
  • Like 1

This is a flood and drain table modified to an automatic top feed system with the option of using f&d system.

large.SSCN1032.JPGlarge.SSCN1027.JPGlarge.SSCN1049.JPG

large.SSCN0908.JPGlarge.SSCN0901.JPGlarge.SSCN0972.JPG

large.SSCN1109.JPGlarge.SSCN1181.JPG

Oxygen levels in the root zone are optimum, watered for 15mins every 45mins, 24/7...happy roots, happy plants and less than a carrier bag full of waste...

Happy days...:yep:

• Like 1

On 01/06/2021 at 9:11 PM, mr rhino said:

Can't beat a bit of compost and hand water if you ask me, nice and simple :yep:

I got a few mates who grow hydro and they all said their weed tasted nicer when it was grown in soil but they stuck with hydro for the yields.

• Like 1