Notill for soil for germinating seedling

LokiVirandell

Hi guys I have question to no till guys what soil are you using for germinating seeds and eventually 1 gallon pots before they will go to no till container ?

1 hour ago, ratdog said:

i thought the point was to plant directly to the live soil?

Well most people starting in 1Gallon pot

19 minutes ago, LokiVirandell said:

Well most people starting in 1Gallon pot

not here they don't mate

3 hours ago, ratdog said:

not here they don't mate

So germinate straight in 15 gallon pot ? Even buildasoil for example starting in 1 gallon

Just now, LokiVirandell said:

So germinate straight in 15 gallon pot ?

i've seen people here sow several seeds into much bigger pots and take out the males mate, i think they get a better start like that

in living soil

Edited by ratdog

You can do it either way you want. Pop the seed straight into the bed, and maybe use a tag or something to mark where it is, or start in a smaller pot and transfer later on. In that instance you can use whatever seedling suitable mix you want really, organic obviously. 

Edited by MindSoup

18 hours ago, ratdog said:

i've seen people here sow several seeds into much bigger pots and take out the males mate, i think they get a better start like that

in living soil

I have only 15g pot planning to do only 1 plant in it but I would rather start with two and do selection which one is better can I plant then two in 15g pot and after 30~ days chop one ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LokiVirandell said:

I have only 15g pot planning to do only 1 plant in it but I would rather start with two and do selection which one is better can I plant then two in 15g pot and after 30~ days chop one ?

You can do that if you want to yes. Its most common to start them off in individual pots veg for a while and then transfer the keeper/s to the main bed, but it all depends on your setup, needs and just personal preference. If you're watching Build a Soil then follow his footsteps, he's proven he can get the results.

Edited by MindSoup

33 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

You can do that if you want to yes. Its most common to start them off in individual pots veg for a while and then transfer the keeper/s to the main bed, but it all depends on your setup, needs and just personal preference. If you're watching Build a Soil then follow his footsteps, he's proven he can get the results.

Yee it's abit pain in the ass with that so I would have to make everytime a new mix for seedlings then ? Eventually buy Biobizz light mix sieve the perlite and add pumice instead.

I been watching buildasoil he was making soil mix for himself.

Wonder if I could for example dig 1g of soil from my no till bed and  use it for 2x 0.5g pots for seedlings or it would burn them

Edited by LokiVirandell

1 hour ago, LokiVirandell said:

yes mate, that's what they do here, i've seen people do 4 then remove three

it's what i would do also

Edited by ratdog

If your no till you should have w an established cover crop  and a thick mulch so germinating seed in it is a bad idea unless you plant on lots of losses.

Germ in whatever way you like, grow them on in 0.5 or 1l pots. 1.5l max and then into final. If you root a gallon pot you will have a fucking huge plant to be then putting into a huge pot that you really want to grow on for another month in its final.

You want it doing most of its vegging in the big pot. 

I'd go 1 gallon to final if I was growing trees.........like 500g-1kg per plant trees. Which I presume your not aiming for.

I've never heard anything quite as crazy as someone trying to sift out perlite from compost to replace with pumice. Just use the biobizz as is lol or buy some peat compost that doesn't have perlite in it. 

Or any organic compost really, you can lighten it up with pumice/biochar/vermiculite if its heavy.

All the best bud 

• Like 5

i use 50/50 ewc/ sphagnum moss peat for seeds and cuts/clones in 1/2ltr or less which will last upto 3-6 weeks depending on the castings used then in to the big beds.....

• Like 4

On 31/05/2021 at 3:06 PM, blackpoolbouncer said:

I've never heard anything quite as crazy as someone trying to sift out perlite from compost to replace with pumice. Just use the biobizz as is lol or buy some peat compost that doesn't have perlite in it. 

All the best bud 

That is what i was thinking!!!

On 31/05/2021 at 3:06 PM, blackpoolbouncer said: