Flood and drain autp PH?

zeroG

Im currently doing the rounds with wholesale changes possibly afoot...I needed a new light, so I went LED  - all new, and now we doing OK. I then thought 'since were changing the light, why dont we have a go at hydro? - so I bought coco - and havent looked back thus far...in fact im sure im not, but I feel like im smashing it lol

I recently bought a camper van and like to get away which kind of fucks with the grow - short bursts do anyway. Long term lights off doesnt cause too much harm, up to 3 weeks in my experinece, but the lights are off and nothing is doing...

i tried a passive hydro system, Blumats - loved the idea... That kinda worked on their day - ish, maybe, kinda/wanna/sorta didnt really in the end..., and was very unrelaible over periods of days, so the natural progression is just to go all out and go hydro, for the summer anyway. I fancy the IWS system as its largely self contained, apparently it adjusts itself not to over flood, and is bulletproof relaible...and if im only away a few days i can also reduce the res capacity so if I did get an issue, then it could manage the overun..

Im petrified of the nuteage situation. I had problems stabilizing my PH with the blumats in my 47L res and now thakfully back to hand watering - but that wont do at all when I need my open spaces - . I never filled it over about 30L anyway, but my plants were massively over fed which means my PH was probably out. Also blumats in coco dont create runoff so I assume some fo that over feding would have been roots related...

In short I want to use an Auto PH range that just needs dosing to the water...does this exist? Is it any good? is it massively expensive ?- who has experience? if any? Im happy to aeriate with a pump of course, but if i could PH without PHing in a 100L res that would make my life a whole lot simpler...and easier. being a long term organic grower Ive never really had to bother about dry plants until recently.

Ideally I'd like to fuck off for the week, but if I did that my weed would never grow - part of me wild campervanning is about my weed and devices on tour lol anyways i digress.

Edited by zeroG
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 24/05/2021 at 11:46 PM, zeroG said:

Im currently doing the rounds with wholesale changes possibly afoot...I needed a new light, so I went LED  - all new, and now we doing OK. I then thought 'since were changing the light, why dont we have a go at hydro? - so I bought coco - and havent looked back thus far...in fact im sure im not, but I feel like im smashing it lol

I recently bought a camper van and like to get away which kind of fucks with the grow - short bursts do anyway. Long term lights off doesnt cause too much harm, up to 3 weeks in my experinece, but the lights are off and nothing is doing...

i tried a passive hydro system, Blumats - loved the idea... That kinda worked on their day - ish, maybe, kinda/wanna/sorta didnt really in the end..., and was very unrelaible over periods of days, so the natural progression is just to go all out and go hydro, for the summer anyway. I fancy the IWS system as its largely self contained, apparently it adjusts itself not to over flood, and is bulletproof relaible...and if im only away a few days i can also reduce the res capacity so if I did get an issue, then it could manage the overun..

Im petrified of the nuteage situation. I had problems stabilizing my PH with the blumats in my 47L res and now thakfully back to hand watering - but that wont do at all when I need my open spaces - . I never filled it over about 30L anyway, but my plants were massively over fed which means my PH was probably out. Also blumats in coco dont create runoff so I assume some fo that over feding would have been roots related...

In short I want to use an Auto PH range that just needs dosing to the water...does this exist? Is it any good? is it massively expensive ?- who has experience? if any? Im happy to aeriate with a pump of course, but if i could PH without PHing in a 100L res that would make my life a whole lot simpler...and easier. being a long term organic grower Ive never really had to bother about dry plants until recently.

Ideally I'd like to fuck off for the week, but if I did that my weed would never grow - part of me wild campervanning is about my weed and devices on tour lol anyways i digress.

Make you're own flood table how big do you want it? get some 4X2s and pond liner,  or any water proof box you can build one for pennies  P,H stays stable in F&D no need to air the tank if you use pebbles the roots are mostly in air anyway pointless. I would use pots not fill the bed as the plants will float around when you flood the table. The  best system there is IMHO simple use soil,  coco  pebbles or a mix of them all,  play around with the flood times less times when plants are young  2 or 3 times a day for how long it takes to fill the table to the over flow and turn it off a simple timer or if you want to go hi tec CCTV with smart timers so you can water them from anywhere in the world as long as you have internet.

P.H people mess around with it to much any ph 6-7 is perfect never had a problem trust me faffing around to adjust it from 7 to 6.2 not worth the hassle (when you add nuts to water it will most likely end up close to 6 anyway)  if you need to adjust the P.h get new nutrients. I honestly think it's  a ploy to get growers to buy PH pens and ph up/down Iv grown hydro with ph 7.2 an had no problems problems stated when i first started growing when i was adding ph up or down every day that  does more harm than good if you make up nutrients then the closer to ph 6 the better obviously ,  don't worry to much about it if the plants look good leave them alone,  trying to force them to grow  " I must get the ph at 5.8 and E.C 1.2-2.0 because the weed bible says so"  I have  been there done that it  will drive you insane that's when you  will  start to see the things like yellow and  rusty leaf spots with purple stems. at the end of the day its a weed that grows practically any where  in a wide range of P.H

these are what you want (ebb and flow bulk head)  look up DIY flood and drain or ebb and flow  to give you ideas those things IWS you are talking about cost £££'s the tables are better IMHO 

P.S I am not saying don't own a P.H or E.C meters they are growing tools to help you 

large.ebbflowtubeoutlet_ml.jpg

Edited by 9inchbigbud
  • Like 3

@9inchbigbudThanks for that mate, im a simllar grower, I do PH in coco though, but im not dicking on with it, I aim for between 5.5 and 6.5 - 5.7, 6.4 whatever, no problem -  the plants get it. They also benefit from the ph spectrum, but the range works imho,...remind me what an EC meter is again? lol My coco is really 1-2-3, haver a look at my diary. I am the simplist hydro grower on this site, so Im liking what youre telling me lol

I like flood and drain, but i also like it in pots like IWS, it seems just more contained. When I move house finally, I can dedicate a small building to my project, and it wont matter if it overruns oir floods over - right now in my loft, this would be a big deal, and would probably end in divorce if it went tits up... lollollol

Ive just 'followed' you so when IO make my table, ill send ytou a message for some tips :)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, zeroG said:

@9inchbigbudThanks for that mate, im a simllar grower, I do PH in coco though, but im not dicking on with it, I aim for between 5.5 and 6.5 - 5.7, 6.4 whatever, no problem -  the plants get it. They also benefit from the ph spectrum, but the range works imho,...remind me what an EC meter is again? lol My coco is really 1-2-3, haver a look at my diary. I am the simplist hydro grower on this site, so Im liking what youre telling me lol

I like flood and drain, but i also like it in pots like IWS, it seems just more contained. When I move house finally, I can dedicate a small building to my project, and it wont matter if it overruns oir floods over - right now in my loft, this would be a big deal, and would probably end in divorce if it went tits up... lollollol

Ive just 'followed' you so when IO make my table, ill send ytou a message for some tips :)

Iv had floods in the loft using auto pots and the time i connected up a load of low level NFT tables it ended up going through the bedroom and in to the kitchen my Ex was not happy she spotted it even after i dried everything up. the bubbles in the wall paper gave it away    lol

P.H on this plant is 6.6PH planted on 17th June I topped  2 days ago the leaf shit you see (burn)  I upped the E.C from 0.6 to 1.2 over night see the burn , but I know im pushing the plants. when people see this on they're plants  they will post and they will think somethings wrong and start messing about usually it's  the lights are to close to soon ( trying to force growth) , there is a little light damage on her but    I know shes being given maximum light so I can  higher the light a bit or  lower the E.C or keep it the same as it grows you know if problems start its probably needs a bit more E.C at 0.1 at  a time  and some CAL/ Mag  until you see the leaf burn appear again and you know you are pushing them.  (plants perfectly green before) just follow the bottle nutrient's recommendations dilute it down to 1/4 - 1/2- 3/4   from full strength   gage it as the plants grow do they look hungry? are the lights to close?  chances are as they grow they will need more light and nuts large.20210630-154747.jpg

Edited by 9inchbigbud
  • Like 2