advice for a very quiet 640 GPH submerged water pump

Strangelove

Hi folks, i'm new here, (excuse my english) but please i have a question, here is the issue, as told in my intro i get back to hydro, and i have an GHE Aeroflo 20 site, my neigthboor as just purchased the home aside mine, and they have done a 'parental suite' haha, at the same floor than my desk where sit my aeroflo,

The issue is that i use a 640 GPH submerged water pump in the Aeroflo, i have isolated the tank from the ground with a 'Gym carpet' (some foam), i've also tried to isolate the pump herself, making her sitting also on some foam, but that still make a lot of noise and vibration,

And the tank herself is doing a kind of 'sounding board', i have found on the web some special carpet to isolate the vibration of washing machine, that can help, but i definitivelly need to found a 640 GPH water pump the more quiet possible.

Of course all reseller told their pump are 'super silencious', but as you know there is difference between marketing and reality.

I have wrote to VivoSun who seem to have a product called 'ultra quiet', i asked tech spech for noise as she's not provided. (I also don't found the product in France)

https://vivosun.com/collections/tank-pump/products/vivosun-480gph-submersible-pump1800l-h-25w-ultra-quiet-water-pump-with-7-2ft-high-lift-fountain-pump-with-5ft-power-cord-3-nozzles-for-fish-tank-aquarium-statuary-hydroponics

So if any one of you know a product who can fit the request its welcome ; )

All the best.

s.

Hailea, eheim or newajet (cheap) for pumps......if you're feeling really flush go for a DC pump, they are quiet, but they are hellish expensive.

:yep:

• Like 1

Hi resin Coated, thanks a lot for your reply,  i saw Hailea on a grow diarie here but they are on 2500 L/H, i replaced the water pump of my aeroflo (who was a kind of 1300 L/H) by a 1800 L/H and all work fine, but i want to avoid pushing 2400 L/H in the system, there is no leak but i want to take the minimum of risk regarding the manufacturer initial spec.

The guy on the Diary who use an Hailea, said that noise is also its main concern, as at 3-4 meter he still can hear the pump, for my side door of the room closed i still hear her.

Btw i run also an aquarium since 10 year, and i learned to appreciate a deutsch manufacturer called 'Tunze', and i saw that they also do water pump, so i'm very interested, the pump seem on a kind of silent block, and as i know tunze, if they want to have customer aquarium in the living room (like mine) they MUST create a product who is quiet, so i'm really confiant on this product and i will purchase it asap i can, but its expensive (before i will take a look at DC pump ;)

https://www.tunze.com/FR/fr/details/1073.020-recirculation-pump-silence.html?type=

Have a sweet evening,

s.

• Like 1

Could it be possible to do something similar to what people do with their extraction fans (put them in a box, and fill it with foam or some sort of sound deadening). You could seal the pump in a Tupperware box, filled with some sound insulation, have a tube coming out either side of the box ??? I imagine like an extractor fan the pump will be cooled by the water flowing through it. 

I'm not a hydro grower so forgive me if that's a bad idea for whatever reason. 

Edited by MindSoup

Is it the pump itself that's noisy or vibration noise caused by it touching the bottom of the reservoir?

I use a maxijet 1000 (which is pretty much silent) then with thin foam wrapped around and as it's not touching there's virtually no noise.

You can also suspend the pump on floats to prevent vibration noise, a couple of plastic bottles works well.

Submerged pumps are water-cooled so not too sure about boxing them in...:unsure:

• Like 1

Just now, stu914 said:

Submerged pumps are water-cooled so not too sure about boxing them in...:unsure:

From what your saying it might not be necessary, but I'd have thought the water running through it would be sufficient to cool it, 

• Like 1

Just now, MindSoup said:

I'd have thought the water running through it would be sufficient to cool it,

I thought that as well but it could need to be cooled through the external casing as well.:unsure:..some clever dick on here will know...:rofl:

Hi folks, thanks a lot for your comment, I tested a foam under the pump but she dont stay in place, i will fix it with some 'serflex', that isolate really a huge part of the vibration, but vibration still here, about the box to isolate the pump, its a tips that a guy gave on the internet, but i will not test it (i hope ;) as i change the pump.

But the idea to 'fix' the foam under the pump is a good idea, every nigth when i go to sleep (my bedroom is under the room of my desk) I hear this fuck.... pump, and that make me anxious for my neighboors, will have some buck in 48h i will order in emergency the Tunze pump.

(Old goat the main issue is (I think) vibration)

Thanks all for your idea & comment, its cool ; )

s.

Edited by Strangelove

Ok folks, i'll fixed the foam under the pump, that work very well (better than my test), I almost cannot hear the pump when the door is closed, so there is no more emmergency, i can relax ; )))), i will ask the advice of my wife, but perhaps i will avoid to purchase the Tunze pump.

All off except the fan of the mother plant on the other box :

50 db

Water Pump on :

53 db

RVK and all ON :

55 db

All the best to your grow ; )

s.

Edited by Strangelove

Good evening, so for information, the Tunze is really good, well when you hold it in your hands you can understand the price better, I saw that these pumps were used in cellars or other places to bring up seepage or decant water from an aquarium one floor below to the aquarium. In short, they are very strong pumps. And you can see that directly.

For the rest, there is a knob on the front of the pump, you can feel it clicking at 10 steps, so it's 2400/10, 240L/step, I set it to 1500 and it works very well.

And indeed it is quiet, but in fact I don't think there is much difference with the SunSun (i've gain 2db), the notable difference is that she vibrates less (she's mounted on a kind of 'silent block') and that no more make like a 'sounding board' with the 100L Tank.

I put a foam support under the pump, but with the length of the hose it lies slightly on its side, and it vibrates even less.

Anyway........... I'm reassured, you can only hear the RVK and the Aeroflo's water jets, but no more vibrations that could go to the neighbours and prevent them from sleeping.

So if you are looking for a quiet (and reliable) pump from 200 to 2400L/h the Tunze is perfect. (ALL ON I am at 53 Db)

Kind regards,

s.

Edited by Strangelove
  • Like 1

Good evening I'm doing a little update, because it's a very good news, I changed the hose I shortened it, and I just tested the floats on each side of the pump :

pompe-flotteurs.jpg

And I don't fully understand why (although I have my own idea) but it has TOTALLY eliminated the vibrations....

So if you are looking for total discretion, this is a good tip, (Thanks to Old Goat ; )))))))))))

s.

• Like 3