REGULATE (not the warren g song)

JBICE420

Happy sunday morning chaps,

back to look for some advise....

i have been using the aptus regulator for a couple of weeks now @ 1.5ml per 10L ,

plants looking real happy no issues in sight ... touch wood

just wondering what every ones general thoughts are on when i should stop using it, thinking in my own head should lower the dosage down in first week of 12/12 and by the second week when i switch to flower nutes should get rid all together, as ive read used to long in to flower can ruin the end result.

does any one have any previous experience using the product?

any thoughts much appreciated 

thanks jb

As with any silicon product I think the general consensus is stop by week 3 of flower or it affects taste.

Im sure @Saddam was the one who first advised me to stop using it right the way through.

House and Garden advise not to use amino past week 3 so ties up tbf.

• Like 2

I had this discussion with another member recently ......If you wish to learn more he left a link to a really interesting article on the subject (ill try to remember where it is)  and manicbotanix also has a similar 'food for thought' about silica additive quality, use and PAS article.

:skin_up:

• Like 1

I jus started using this too. Currently have a load in veg for about 6 weeks or so now I’m mainlining and 2 revegged plants I put back in flower. I stopped using it on the revegged plants in flower at week 2 of flower. Havnt noticed much difference in those cos I Havnt really done much with them but they look healthier and the plants revegged in less than 4 weeks and we’re good to clone and I was able to flip them again less than 2 weeks later. I don’t know if the aptus helped that at all, but usually revegging plants takes a lot longer than 3-4 weeks. 

but the ones I have in veg it really helped with training and preventing the stems from snapping or breaking when bending. Usually I find there’s a few plants that don’t like it much from very early on or will be tricky but this time every plant was jus like “meh bend me over backwards, I don’t care” even the tricky looking headbanger x birthday cake with its thicker stems bends fine and loves it. 

il defo keep using it, it might be expensive but at the ratio it’s used it will last at least 2 grows I think (250ml) so not that bad. I have not used any other silica product like power si or any of the non bio available forms before so have nothing to compare it to in that respect. but figured if I’m gonna use silica I might aswell do it properly an make sure it’s available immediately to the plant. The cheaper forms often use a non bio available form that needs to be broken down first which can take weeks or even months to happen. 

• Like 3

I do worry the PEG400 stabilised silica products carry a health risk tho @Grimweeder and question the actual PAS available from using them.

( tho I'm lazy and I'm still using amino treatment lol I do have the hydro silicon tho)

https://scienceinhydroponics.com/2017/03/is-ortho-silicic-acid-worth-the-additional-expense-in-hydroponics.html

https://manicbotanix.com/silica-additive-quality/

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, zen-ken said:

I do worry the PEG400 stabilised silica products carry a health risk tho @Grimweeder and question the actual PAS available from using them.

( tho I'm lazy and I'm still using amino treatment lol I do have the hydro silicon tho)

https://scienceinhydroponics.com/2017/03/is-ortho-silicic-acid-worth-the-additional-expense-in-hydroponics.html

https://manicbotanix.com/silica-additive-quality/

What health risks do you think they carry and why?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Grimweeder said:

What health risks do you think they carry and why?

Im no expert (obviously), but I have read that PEG400 is fairly non toxic until it is combusted (not vaped) or concentrated....When burnt it can produce a cocktail of nasty chemicals.

Not much science/research to be found apart from the links above tbf....hence why I put them there to read lol 

I have tried GG mono but I found this washing up liquid to not agree with my system so Im probably going go back to the hydro silicon and just factor the extra potassium into my ratios to get the ppm required.

• Like 1