New Grow Setup - It's been a while!

postdestruction

Hello all,

It's been a while, I hope everyone is doing well!

I haven't had a grow for a looong while now, due to work and life and all that nonsense. I have moved house though and so ideas for a new space are building. Guess what... it's in the fucking loft! This is going to be a slow burn for a variety of reasons:

I am in no rush,

i've taken on too much work and don't have much spare time,

I hate DIY,

There are spiders up there.

So first things first. How do I get power up there? There is a light switch up there, with the cable running up from the airing cupboard, nicely tucked away. I will need to isolate this circuit on the consumer unit, disconnect it and use the cable to pull through new cable to create a ring main. Does that sound reasonable? What do I need to check for on the consumer unit? I am happy to take on electrical work and can do it safely once I have gathered all the info.

Here is a pic of the space (abount 4 m x 3 m empty, useable space with plenty of height)

large.6098231d2e1ae_20210509_180620(Large).jpg 

Here is the consumer unit

large.6098231bcf886_20210509_175840(Large).jpg

• Like 6

Hi bud, welcome back...

Unless you've been keeping pace with grow tech you might not know about all the new kit...LEDs for a start are smashing it out the park,

new ec extractor fans, whisper quiet...the list goes on...as for your electricity question, I haven't a clue...plenty on here who do though

they'll be along soon...good luck with your new space mate..:yep:

atb

• Like 1

You won't be able to use that cable or breaker as it's for a lighting circuit. House lights don't draw much power so the cable is smaller and the breaker will also be rated lower.

You have a spare space if you buy a new breaker they just clip into the metal bar that you can see behind them. Then its pretty simple.

23 minutes ago, stu914 said:

Hi bud, welcome back...

Unless you've been keeping pace with grow tech you might not know about all the new kit...LEDs for a start are smashing it out the park,

new ec extractor fans, whisper quiet...the list goes on...as for your electricity question, I haven't a clue...plenty on here who do though

they'll be along soon...good luck with your new space mate..:yep:

atb

I don't think I am too far behind the curve and in fact bought a silenced systemair revolution for my last setup.

LEDs however, I have not a clue about! Can you point me to any good threads or info? This is going to cost me money isn't it :wallbash:

• Like 2

Just now, space_monkey said:

You won't be able to use that cable or breaker as it's for a lighting circuit. House lights don't draw much power so the cable is smaller and the breaker will also be rated lower.

You have a spare space if you buy a new breaker they just clip into the metal bar that you can see behind them. Then its pretty simple.

Hey, thanks. I knew the cable wouldnt be right, just handy it is there to pull up a new one (or pull string down to pull a new cable up).

2.5mm cable and 30 A breaker?

• Like 1

Just now, postdestruction said:

! Can you point me to any good threads or info? T

Check site sponsor @diyleduk and there's also an led diary section...well worth the investment bud...you can thank me in the future...:rofl:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/05/2021 at 7:49 PM, postdestruction said:

Hey, thanks. I knew the cable wouldnt be right, just handy it is there to pull up a new one (or pull string down to pull a new cable up).

2.5mm cable and 30 A breaker?

You would be lucky if you were able to pull through a new ring main cable using the old lighting cable unless you are directly(ish) above the consumer unit, but a bit of brute force might work lol

2.5mm with a 30/32A RCBO would be ideal

Edited by BobTheDaabber

• 3 weeks later...

Important things to consider if you intend to DIY consumer unit. 

Intend to create a radial circuit (cable leaves the consumer box / doesn't return / terminates at socket) 4mm2 cable MUST be used with a 32A MCB

Intend to create a ring circuit (cable leaves and returns to the consumer unit) 2.5mm2 cable is fine to use with a 32A MCB.

Intend to create a radial circuit (cable leaves consumer box / doesn't return / terminates at socket) and you wish to use 2.5mm2 cable then a 20A MCB is appropriate.

P.S. From a safety point of view (assuming once commissioned it's unlikely to be inspected for obvious reasons) a radial circuit is safer in the event the cable is ever compromised.

P.P.S. I'm not an electrician

Edited by Poisonata
Additional info /disclaimer

• 1 month later...
On 23/05/2021 at 8:01 PM, BobTheDaabber said:

You would be lucky if you were able to pull through a new ring main cable using the old lighting cable unless you are directly(ish) above the consumer unit, but a bit of brute force might work lol

2.5mm with a 30/32A RCBO would be ideal

Turns out that breaker is for all upstairs lights, so no go on that one!

On 08/06/2021 at 1:44 AM, Poisonata said:

Important things to consider if you intend to DIY consumer unit. 

Intend to create a radial circuit (cable leaves the consumer box / doesn't return / terminates at socket) 4mm2 cable MUST be used with a 32A MCB

Intend to create a ring circuit (cable leaves and returns to the consumer unit) 2.5mm2 cable is fine to use with a 32A MCB.

Intend to create a radial circuit (cable leaves consumer box / doesn't return / terminates at socket) and you wish to use 2.5mm2 cable then a 20A MCB is appropriate.

P.S. From a safety point of view (assuming once commissioned it's unlikely to be inspected for obvious reasons) a radial circuit is safer in the event the cable is ever compromised.

P.P.S. I'm not an electrician

Thanks for the info. The plan now is to extend the upstairs ring main up into the loft and back down again.

It turns out I need some work doing on the roof so everything is on hold until later in the year. In the meantime I am building a small room in the workshop at the end of the garden. I will update soon.

for power I run my lights of the socket in the loft which I think is taken off the lighting circuit as when I draw too much the breaker goes off, i run a 600w led and a 1030w led just fine, all other stuff like fans, dehumidifier, pumps,etc I run a 4 socket extension lead from the bedroom socket up via a hole I drilled in the ceiling, I've got some of those coloured light balls hanging in the corner hiding the cable. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE

Well, the roofer hasn't been yet so in the meantime, I have built a teeny tiny <1 m square room in the corner of my workshop.

large.20210810_181912.jpglarge.20210810_181816.jpg

Still need to pond liner the floor and tidy up electrics, but I have four seedlings uder the T5. It has low ceiling height so things will get fun if I don't manage it well!

It is good to be growing again! Although it bloody time consuming and I am busy enough :wallbash:

A small issue, which I will post about in another post, the carbon filter (Rhino Pro) is noisy! Kind of a booming echo sound as air moves though it. Annoying as the fan is near silent and extraction exits into the shed next door silently as well. The air moving through the carbon filter is the noisiest part of the system! Any suggestions?

• Like 1