best option for making the glass light permeable yet, guerilla stealth friendly? I prefer the dirty foggy milky look

moonharvester

Im looking for a way to make my old glass greenhouse stealthy from prying eyes. I somehow achieved this by accident last season when I sprinkled baking soda on those windows. I wonder if there is something better that would give the glass the nasty look feeling that would make it less visible to see what is inside, or if the white paint is the only way.

Thanks for the help 420 fam

Lime wash works well, or frosted window film if you want a more permanent option. 

I’ve taped up bubble wrap on the side of my greenhouse that doesn’t get the sun at all, good insulation and also hides that side from my nosy neighbour. 

A relative uses bubble wrap over winter as insulation but takes it off in the spring he says gets too hot in there if he leaves it on.

So i would opt for something more stealth and less insulation or a few large plant pots outside can hide a lot and take your eye off what's inside the greenhouse especially if u plant something eye catching.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

hey guys I tried the lime / white wash and it seems to work well stealth wise but also it seems to block out sun on the sides. Maybe I applied too much (I did it manually probably spray gun would make  a difference, next time.

About the frosted film, I thought about it too and Im wondering if it would also blocks the beneficial UV rays for the plants

19 minutes ago, moonharvester said:

hey guys I tried the lime / white wash and it seems to work well stealth wise but also it seems to block out sun on the sides. Maybe I applied too much (I did it manually probably spray gun would make  a difference, next time.

About the frosted film, I thought about it too and Im wondering if it would also blocks the beneficial UV rays for the plants

Anything you use will block out a certain amount of light, even just bare glass to an extent. If you wanted you could check by following one of migro's (youchube) guides on lux/par apps to see what level of light intensity you're getting. Would it be possible to replace the glass with the corrugated polycarbonate stuff they use on other greenhouses? 

Edited by MindSoup

On 7/10/2021 at 5:14 PM, MindSoup said:

Anything you use will block out a certain amount of light, even just bare glass to an extent. If you wanted you could check by following one of migro's (youchube) guides on lux/par apps to see what level of light intensity you're getting. Would it be possible to replace the glass with the corrugated polycarbonate stuff they use on other greenhouses? 

Funny thing is I thought about same solution, about buying another greenhouse with polycarbonate stuff panels. I saw some of these but some of these seems more translucent than other, maybe thickness of the polycarbonate wall sheet? I was wondering what might be the good solution and Im willing to try  to spray baking soda or lime solution a little bit on the roof. About the solution for  the getting best amount of light, thats why I chose baking soda instead of going full lime. Maybe that frosted, dimmed film is best option but Im still wondering if the plants would not be deprived of UV rays, they need uvb and uvc is beneficial to an extent  according to my knowledge, but maybe Im wrong did you tried ? thank you

my friend had a polycarbonate greenhouse. over the years with the heat of the sun the sheets turned brown so he replaced them with clear sheeting. the garden was quite wide so from next doors you could see plants growing in there but couldn't really make out what they were. so he used to hang Christmas balls on them what you hang off a Christmas tree from a distance they did look like tomato plants.

• Like 2