Bonsai mum topping - not sure where to cut?

I took my first set of cuttings a few weeks ago, they've rooted out and are growing nicely.  I want to train them into bonsai mum's.  Oldtimer's tutorial suggests topping them low so you only have a few growth tips left - so that would be around here right? - 

large.Inked20210507_212639111_LI1.jpg

Seems brutal!!  This is my first time topping - topping them this low is not likely to kill the plant is it?  I don't care if it stunts growth, I've got plenty of time before I need to take cuts from them anyway, I just want to know I'm not going to kill them by cutting off like 60% of the top!

Cheers.

• Like 1

I had concerns about topping that low as well for my first go, so I chickened out and did down to the first 3 nodes. I've topped one since then, back to 2 nodes and as far as I can tell the only difference has been the speed at which they bounce back.

I posted some pictures in this thread recently about my first bonsai mum:

• Like 1

Better room go one node above your mark then on the next hair cut you can remove that bit extra if you want.

Chances are relatively small with where you've indicated but if you remove too much material in one go and leave very little left sometime plants just shit it and whither away and die slowly.

You can remove more but you can't put it back. 

Also a good tip is if your going to do anything drastic to your mums, take a cut with the material incase as back up. 

Back up regularly.

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Better room go one node above your mark then on the next hair cut you can remove that bit extra if you want.

Chances are relatively small with where you've indicated but if you remove too much material in one go and leave very little left sometime plants just shit it and whither away and die slowly.

You can remove more but you can't put it back. 

Also a good tip is if your going to do anything drastic to your mums, take a cut with the material incase as back up. 

Back up regularly.

^^ This. Except I'd go 1 node further up, that cutting isn't big enough to deal with that much removal. :yep:

This is what slow death looks like. Alive but dead. 

large.IMG_8432.jpg

Edited by Slippy One
  • Like 3

Well now you've all got me nervous - because I went ahead and did it last night :blub:.  Two seemed completely unfazed, one wilted quite hard... fingers crossed!

Don't over water them now, it's really easy to do at this stage because they are so much smaller their water requirements are less. And they have a root system that was supplying a much bigger plant so if you saturate it they will basically drown themselves

• Like 3
2 hours ago, latigid aikon said:

Don't over water them now, it's really easy to do at this stage because they are so much smaller their water requirements are less. And they have a root system that was supplying a much bigger plant so if you saturate it they will basically drown themselves

Good tip, thanks.

So - checking on them this eve I can see they are all standing strong. I think I did end up topping around the third node rather than the second anyway. I feel like I can see some new growth from those top sites too.

large.20210509_1641071.jpg

Two of them didn't react at all when I topped them, no drooping, and one of them drooped hard but is now standing straight again.  This one -

large.20210509_1809101.jpg

Is it safe to assume that they're probably all OK then now, or could they still suddenly turn and start the 'slow death'?

I know I'll need to trim out that lower growth and big leaves at the bottom later, but I'm not touching that growth until I know the plant has recovered from the topping.

Edited by OneMorePuff
  • Like 2
  • 1 month later...

I’m about to grow some bonsai mothers (hopefully)  from seed.

I usually use coco but I’ve read it’s not suitable for mothers as it locks out nutes after a while?

Ive never used soil before. But I’ve read it best for low maintenance mothers plants?

What are you guys using? 

• 5 months later...

Better off in dirt for bonsai mums can control the plant better. Coco as a mum substrate is harder to control growth wise and keeping healthy . In dirt I usually water  in 2ltr pots season depending 3x weeks most are on 2x water and maybe 1x week fish mix a week keep em all cut back and healthy not really growing to much then if I’m needing cuts off one feed stronger fishmix for two weeks prior to taking them. then cut the feed back once taken Root prune 2x a year there go on for years can’t seem to control mums in coco in that easy way due to the faff with feed magnecal etc and keeping the growth and size level to a minimum. Few month old thread I know lol 

• Like 1

Which soil is the best for them? 

I normally just pot mine into whichever soil I'm using but I have wondered about using a specific mix similar to a john innes #3, something with a low level slow release fertiliser so they just need feeding to boost them up for cuts.

4 hours ago, inceywinceyspider said:

Which soil is the best for them? 

I normally just pot mine into whichever soil I'm using but I have wondered about using a specific mix similar to a john innes #3, something with a low level slow release fertiliser so they just need feeding to boost them up for cuts.

I usually use light mix when they go into dirt lower ec for small cutting then feed accordingly to look and  vigor then once I’ve root pruned I usually put stronger soil in like royal mix etc some of are mums are 5+ years old now . Find biobizz fishmix brilliant for mums

• Like 4