Bad-Eend

HI

So I am growing for medical reasons

Primary intent is to make tincture on an alcohol base ... but I have seen tinctures made (youtube) on glycerine as well... and the follow up vids goes into using coconut oil...

My understanding is that oils break down slower and the effect of the cannabinoids is much slower than alcohol (few seconds)

Is there a way to get a neat swift oil/tincure that works quicker than the oils which apparently do not break down untill the digestive system?

I was looking at 

from @grobag but am curious on how you would make doses without alcohol 

The alchohol breaks dow thc and acts as a carrier - once it evaporates you are then left with RSO.  You can then add your RSO to another diluent to make a tincture.

Whichever way you choose it's not the carrier or the alchohol which changes the effect you get - that comes from the concentration levels of cannabinoids in your end product :yep:

If growing solely for extract purposes choose a highly resinous strain will net you a better yield - we have a gorilla strain which is a little boring as flower due to lack of nice terpenes, but is excellent for oil runs as it has a v high cannabinoid content.

• Like 10

I regularly make tincture using high proof alcohol (Polish spiritz and ethanol) and I also make oil using MCT oil.   I'd recommend both tbh both have a place.  The time acting effects are pretty similar, both slowly creep up until your 2/3 hours in. I'd say you reach about peak here. I prefer the MCT as is not alcoholic but the alcoholic does mix well with all other drinks. 

• Like 4

Tincture works fast when dropping it on the tongue as it goes through the membrane straight into blood stream. Like smoking I believe. If you drink it like growinggold suggests it gets metabolised in the liver like when you eat coconut oil etc. It takes longer to kick in but the effect lasts way longer. 

• Like 5

Imho rso /qwiso would be better for med than bho and safer to make. then could add to  alc /tincture or whatever takes your fancy:yep:

Edited by Personunknown
  • Like 2

I make a sublingual MCT oil tincture, which produces fast initial effect and follows up with more effects after my liver has its way with the balance. 

Alcohol tinctures produce a faster sublingual response, partially due to the alcohol.  Take a small amount of straight alcohol, roll it under your tongue and note the sublingual effect.

I produce my MCT tincture using QWET techniques and then decarboxylating the concentrate in a 250F hot vegetable oil bath, before adding back the MCT oil.  It will mix at any ratio, but I typically use about 3.5 grams MCT to 6.5 grams concentrate.

There is also Holy Anointing oil, which is a sublingual that also works well.  https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/diy-cannamed-production/9-5-formulation-and-application/9-5-1-holy-anointing-oil

• Like 6

Can we please not use (f)TLA's   (F ing three letter abbreviations )

I have been looking on how to make tincture, both oil and alcohol based .... and then I came across butane honey ...which was done after bubbling? (Seriously the terminology ...) 

So bubbling, as YOU might know but I did not is making hash with Ice water..... (and the butane honey is a similar principle but with liquid gas)

BUT

WHAT happens and what is the end result

Apparently alcohol and glycerin tinctures are 1:3 canabidoid:carrier   (Though you could easily concentrate the alcohol based one)

Which carriers have the best canabidoid binding properties

Question 1

As canabidoids are oil they are not water soluble, I understand that principle ...... BUT does bubblehash = alcohol tincture with alcohol then removed

then I cane across Dabbing ... which is not that annoying "dance" convulsion...

Now you can find anything on youtube .... (I am actually really wondering what you cannot find  )

Question 2

What is the difference between shatter wax isolate and hash? Production wise (=content wise)

So I am trying to get as much out of my plants as possible  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bad-Eend said:

BUT does bubblehash = alcohol tincture with alcohol then removed

This one is easy to answer so I'll do that.

Nothing to do with each other. Alcohol tincture with alcohol removed is known as Feco (full extract cannabis oil)

Bubblehash is trichomes that have been removed from the buds using ice water and bubblebags.

post-575-1264679632_thumb.jpg

I've never made BHO (butane honey oil) as it's a little bit dangerous. It looks yellow and is a sticky mess at room temp but solid when cold.

I'd say alcohol has the best binding properties, although I think Coconut oil is very good too.

I can't really help with the isolates/shatter ...i'm as lost as you there lol 

Edited by KC
some people call feco RSO (rick simpson oil)
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Bad-Eend said:

I have been looking on how to make tincture, both oil and alcohol based .... and then I came across butane honey ...which was done after bubbling? (Seriously the terminology ...) 

So bubbling, as YOU might know but I did not is making hash with Ice water..... (and the butane honey is a similar principle but with liquid gas)

BUT

WHAT happens and what is the end result

Apparently alcohol and glycerin tinctures are 1:3 canabidoid:carrier   (Though you could easily concentrate the alcohol based one)

Which carriers have the best canabidoid binding properties

Question 1

As canabidoids are oil they are not water soluble, I understand that principle ...... BUT does bubblehash = alcohol tincture with alcohol then removed

then I cane across Dabbing ... which is not that annoying "dance" convulsion...

Now you can find anything on youtube .... (I am actually really wondering what you cannot find  )

Question 2

What is the difference between shatter wax isolate and hash? Production wise (=content wise)

So I am trying to get as much out of my plants as possible  

Possibly confusing, but may I suggest that if you seriously wish to be included in conversations, that you learn the acronyms??  Just a suggestions, based on a prediction that the rest of the world won't adapt for you and you will be left behind.

Bubble hash is a collection of trichomes extracted stirring the plant material in ice and water to break them free and then filtering.  It includes plant matter in addition to the essential oil concentrates.

Alcohol tincture is alcohol with the essential oils dissolved in it.

Shatter is cannabis concentrate that is frangible or taffy like at room temperature.   It can be produced by either Butane Honey Oil (BHO) techniques, or Quick Wash Ethanol (QWET). The taffy consistency is often called "pull and snap."

Wax is concentrate with a granular consistency, typically created by stirring during purging to increase the points of nucleation and induce THCA crystal (carboxylic acid form) precipitation.  The balance of the constituents coat the crystals, producing granules.

Isolate is the straight THCA or CBD crystals precipitated out of solution and washed or centrifuged to remove the balance of the constituents besides the crystals.

Hash is the trichome heads usually compacted into a solid, typically extracted using sieve (Dry Sieve) or bubble hash techniques.  See Clark's book, "Hashish", for history and intimate details.

Edited by Graywolf
  • Like 3

On 5/7/2021 at 0:49 PM, Graywolf said:

Possibly confusing, but may I suggest that if you seriously wish to be included in conversations, that you learn the acronyms??  Just a suggestions, based on a prediction that the rest of the world won't adapt for you and you will be left behind.

Nah If people can be bother to spell properly, i rather be left behind to be honest ;)

People do not even have a question nowadays they have an "ask" ..to many letters in question; to confusing ... most acronyms are there to hide people cannot spell... to those I say FYI

On top of that you cannot create an acronym just out of the first letter. a lot of acronyms have double meanings, having to look up a specialized "dictionary"  on acronyms... defeats the purpose ...to those I say FYI

I mean a proper acronym should , if written out still make a proper sentence tbh ;)

Anyway

Shatter is cannabis concentrate t or Quick Wash Ethanol (QWET). The taffy consistency is often called "pull and snap."

Is the difference in the end product caused by Decarboxylation?

1 hour ago, Bad-Eend said:

Nah If people can be bother to spell properly, i rather be left behind to be honest ;)

People do not even have a question nowadays they have an "ask" ..to many letters in question; to confusing ... most acronyms are there to hide people cannot spell... to those I say FYI

On top of that you cannot create an acronym just out of the first letter. a lot of acronyms have double meanings, having to look up a specialized "dictionary"  on acronyms... defeats the purpose ...to those I say FYI

I mean a proper acronym should , if written out still make a proper sentence tbh ;)

Anyway

Shatter is cannabis concentrate t or Quick Wash Ethanol (QWET). The taffy consistency is often called "pull and snap."

Is the difference in the end product caused by Decarboxylation?

Thanks for the education on acronyms brother.  Good luck on placing the onus for your own on others!

Decarboxylation reduces viscosity, but so do residual solvent, water, terpenes and plant waxes.

• Like 6

On 07/05/2021 at 10:21 AM, Bad-Eend said:

Nah If people can be bother to spell properly, i rather be left behind to be honest

Why ask (or question) in the first place bud...these abbreviations and acronyms have been used for years.

The community all need to understand each other and if you can't/won't learn the lingo you will indeed be 'left behind'

Not having a go mate but you can't expect to be the only one 'in step'...:yep:

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Bad-Eend said:

‘too’ 

:rolleyes:
and as for ellipsis... well.

@Graywolf nice one :yep:

e2a

large.98EE8B55-6EE6-4FAC-92AD-F543CE7D7B38.jpeg

Edited by bartman
  • Like 5