Cal deficiency and low run off

The Green Manalishi

Thought I would have a go at the coco, I have a couple of autos that are 41 days old and one has started to show what looks like a calcium deficiency on some of her upper leaves, had a butchers at the run off and it was quite a bit lower than what was going in. 1.4ec in, 0.5 out the other girl was 1.4 in and 0.8 out. I’m in a soft water area,  tap ec 0.0 and are being fed on Dutch pro soft water by means of custom Blumat  drippers drip to waste 5ltrs in 3 out. Temps 26c  root zone temp 23c  leaf temps 22c and running 55%rh . Any advice would be greatly appreciated 

Tap water is 0.0ec  haven’t been using cal mag yet, I was hoping the feed for soft water would contain enough. I have to supplement calmag when I’m in soil though.

• Like 1

There's likely your issue. My guess is the coco hasn't been buffered properly and is scavenging the calcium, magnesium and iron... the calmag in the nutes is insufficient because of it. I suggest putting 0.4ec calmag in, then add the rest to 1.4ec. Always calmag your water in your case because it is so soft.The minimum I would normally use is 0.2, assuming there is no big drops in ec runoff, then push it to 0.4 to remedy any problems. 

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2

I think your on the money with regards to the coco not being buffered properly, it never was:wallbash: Noted for the next run. Will start tonight with the calmag at 0.4, girls still look good so hopefully caught this in time, much appreciated, thank you 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Rural Buddha said:

I had a similar issue though I'm in a hard water area. Might be something in this thread to help?

If your runoff ec is constantly falling below your feed ec by a lot then it should help.

46 minutes ago, Rural Buddha said:

I had a similar issue though I'm in a hard water area. Might be something in this thread to help?

As soon as @catweazle1 mentioned the poor buffering I knew right away, I remember washing the coco through but failed on the buffering solution, I usually grow photos in soil so this is my first proper attempt at autos in coco, every day is a school day.

• Like 2

I think for the next run I’ll move over to Growers Ark and get a custom feed, my Cal-Mag ratio is well out  Ca/l 10.81    Mg/l 0.89

• Like 1

Run off getting better :yep:large.76EA6E39-C790-4303-B756-3E225B218C89.jpegFrom the girl showing deficiency  1.5ec in large.135954C7-BDDF-4AB8-86FB-B1982F7878CF.jpegFrom the other girl  1.5ec in 

• Like 1