RDWC Noise

RMW!24

Hi all,

Just a brief question here; I am thinking of trying an RDWC for my next grow, probably this system: https://urbandeepwaterculture.co.uk/collections/r-dwc-20-ltr/products/urban-4-pot-deep-water-culture-system.

My main worry about the setup is the noise of pumps and recirculating water. My house is semi detached, and my neighbours would call the police at the first suspicion of a growroom nextdoor! Just wondered if noise is actually an issue, and if it is what methods can be used to limit it.......

Thanks for reading, and advanvce thanks for any replies!

first of all i wouldnt buy that system.

they are garbage. return pipes are too small.

to answer your question, yes, they make some noise, the water pump and air pump. its a "how long is a piece of string question to be honest as the make and size of pumps you buy will affect things differently. some pumps are noisy others are quieter. it also depends on the flow capability of the pumps, but they all make noise. 

i was running a 6 pot system in my shed and the noise of the water pump could be heard up to 2-3 metres from the shed. It was a good pump too, a hailea hx 8840. 

If noise is a concern, maybe try dwc, its only got an airpump.

airpumps make thier own noise too of course, how much depends, again on what make, air output etc

Thanks for your reply mate.

Funny you mentioned a hsed. i was just thinking about a nice pond adjacent to my shed, then the noise would be expected...maybe when finances allow eh?

Appreciate the advice r.e the system aswell..thanks

• Like 1

I'm in dwc and my fans make more noise than the air pump.. I use a tetratec airpump there virtually silent. I also hang it from a bungee.

Haze

Thanks for your reply. Can I ask what DWC system your running please?

What are the results like? I have at the moment a 1.2 x 1,2 x 2m tent.

My submerged water pump makes little noise in my RDWC and my Hailea silent air pump (ACO9810 or ACO9820) is almost silent - my fans and extractor fans make far more noise than my pumps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Just Sprouted, i have the same issue as you, as i'm running an Aeroflo 20 site, and my house is between two other house so we have the common wall, and my desk is at the second where the neigthboor as decided to do a 'parental suite' haha, at the same level than my aeroflo

so its a hard figth to make all of that silencious (or try too) . I use a 1800L/H submerged pump in the aeroflo, and yes that make a lot of vibration and noise, i managed to put a gym carpet between the tank and the ground, that help, but that still make noise and vibration.

One other noise was the water falling from the pipe I used a 'stocking' (un bas en français) to make the fluid following the textile and falling without sound in the tank,

The sound of the buller is also important, manage to put also a part of Gym carpet between the buller and the ground,

The other main sound problem is the intra and the extra RVK, i use a 220 M3/h in and 480 M3/h on extraction, mine as 10 year, but you found on the market now some extractor with 2 level of functioning 220M3/h and 420M3/h make it work @ 220 MH/3 could grealty help for sound, i also use one insonorised box of wood for extraction RVK

All the best !

s.

Edited by Strangelove