I am ready to start prep now for grow in 16months.

Doopdat

I have started reading a couple of Jeff Kowenfels books and the forums here to build my knowledge, It will be a while before i understand the way i aim to.

Im a bit worried i might miss the opportunity to practice/ develop resources in this growing season if i dont make a start sooner rather than later. I imagine i could mix up some soil and grow some tomatoes or whatever so i go into a grow next autumn indoors with improved understanding and good soil.

Id appreciate any suggestions. I want to use this time as best i can to give me best chance of a successful grow.

FYI I have completed a few successful grows in coco but i want to switch. 

• Like 2

Hello and welcome @Doopdat :D

Why the long delay?  The best way to learn is to get started.  I joined here last September and got a grow on by the end of the month.  I had so much help and advice from everyone here I could not fail.  Tiny tent (2ft x 2ft), crappy light, 2 plants and still got 71g - result!

So my advice is get started unless your domestic situation is impossible.  Growing in the Autumn or Winter will likely require more electricity for heating.  Now is the perfect time really to get a grow on.  I've got some cuttings that I'm trying to root and my Dos Si Do seed stuck its head above the compost just today.

:smokin:

• Like 6

I read a diary a day for months. They're so many different styles and methods. It's just finding the one that suits your needs and wants.

What do you want from your grows?

Are you after quality or quantity? Or is low hassle low visit approach suit your life style? 

Will it be driven by only space you have to use?

:skin_up:

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Alys said:

Hello and welcome @Doopdat :D

Why the long delay?  The best way to learn is to get started.  I joined here last September and got a grow on by the end of the month.  I had so much help and advice from everyone here I could not fail.  Tiny tent (2ft x 2ft), crappy light, 2 plants and still got 71g - result!

So my advice is get started unless your domestic situation is impossible.  Growing in the Autumn or Winter will likely require more electricity for heating.  Now is the perfect time really to get a grow on.  I've got some cuttings that I'm trying to root and my Dos Si Do seed stuck its head above the compost just today.

I have plenty from previous coco grows and prohibition makes it wiser not to grow when not necessary. Otherwise man...I would grow every thing in every style, it would be heavenly.

So i plan to grow something legal to practice for my next scheduled grow. (autumn cos uncontrollably hot for me in summer).

I know there is a lot to learn and im reading these pages and a couple of books, but it will perhaps be too late in summer by time im up to speed to plant tomatoes.So Im after some of that advice so i use my time wisely

4 hours ago, growinggold said:

I read a diary a day for months. They're so many different styles and methods. It's just finding the one that suits your needs and wants.

What do you want from your grows?

Are you after quality or quantity? Or is low hassle low visit approach suit your life style? 

Will it be driven by only space you have to use?

:skin_up:

Good advice re reading all the diaries. I will try do that in a systematic way.

What i want from grow is to not water as often as coco as that is too difficult in current circumstances. As a plus i understand i might get better quality. I do want to get as close to my previous yields (rammed out 1mx1mx2 tent -never weighed) as the fewer grows needed the lower risk, but if there is lower yield ill have to live with it. Im also looking forward to feeling super smug that my herbs are organic and Im "right"

Im after any advice to help me get going quickly while im still building my understanding. A guide maybe? And to hear any other tips on how to best use this time so i get the real grow right 

@Doopdat  My initial advice would be:-

Decide on your grow space - loft, garage, self-build or tent etc.

Once you know the dimensions then buy the best light you can afford - masses of information on here and Diyled is a site sponsor so you can get a really good deal.

Next decide on what you want to grow and study the strains, effects, growth traits i.e. bushy, tall, squat, indica, sativa, euphoria, couchlock 

Purchase an extractor fan and a filter

Purchase an oscillating fan

Consider if you will need heating to reach optimum growing temperatures - if so consider heat mats and tube heaters/heaters

Buy the best nutrients - I’m growing in compost and can recommend the Intense Nutrients Organix Range. If you buy through One Tree Horticulture and quote OTH10 you will get a 10% discount.

Thermometer, hygrometer, magnifying glass/loupe/clip-on phone magnifier

Pots in various sizes

Watering can - if a big space you may need a long spouted one to reach in to water.

Good sharp pair of curved blade scissors for trimming

Disposable gloves - the harvest is a sticky business!

Good Luck!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Alys said:

@Doopdat  My initial advice would be:-

Decide on your grow space - loft, garage, self-build or tent etc.

Once you know the dimensions then buy the best light you can afford - masses of information on here and Diyled is a site sponsor so you can get a really good deal.

Next decide on what you want to grow and study the strains, effects, growth traits i.e. bushy, tall, squat, indica, sativa, euphoria, couchlock 

Purchase an extractor fan and a filter

Purchase an oscillating fan

Consider if you will need heating to reach optimum growing temperatures - if so consider heat mats and tube heaters/heaters

Buy the best nutrients - I’m growing in compost and can recommend the Intense Nutrients Organix Range. If you buy through One Tree Horticulture and quote OTH10 you will get a 10% discount.

Thermometer, hygrometer, magnifying glass/loupe/clip-on phone magnifier

Pots in various sizes

Watering can - if a big space you may need a long spouted one to reach in to water.

Good sharp pair of curved blade scissors for trimming

Disposable gloves - the harvest is a sticky business!

Good Luck!

thanks for tips, long spout will help!. I have completed a few successful coco grows so i have my environment etc down. Though i understand this new way of growing might necessitate some changes. What im after is some guidance (maybe reference to a current trusted guide) from good folks here while i continue my reading which i expect will take a couple of months. my concern is that once i know what im doing ill miss the opportunity to practice growing tomatoes or something in our outdoor growing season. so im looking to get started asap. 

Specifically help sourcing a current trusted recipe based on products available in uk. Im planning to mix my own and go TLO sorry if i didnt specify that. But also any thing else you think a novice in this style needs to know. thanks

• Like 1

If you're thinking of going organic and have the space (don't need a lot), I'd  recommend going all the way and doing living soil, its the logical conclusion IMO. Building the mega bed in the organic compost section is a brilliant place to learn about it, as is build a soil on youchube. Once its up and running its super low maintenance and the results speak for themselves. Feed the soil and let the worms/microherd do the work for you, trust me, they will do a better job than you (or basically anyone else).

Ecothrive do a range of products that make it a lot more approachable, I'm a total fan boy, everything of theirs I try is bang on, and Gareth is a nice bloke. If you started soon with other plants then you'll have plenty of time to nail it down and get the soil really going strong before you need another Ganja crop.

Chilli's are good to practice on, they can be a bit temperamental so teach you the balance between neglect and "fussing" over them too much. 

Read read read and watch watch watch, then do do do nothing is better than doing you're own research and getting practical experience, it sticks in your head better IME.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, MindSoup said:

If you're thinking of going organic and have the space (don't need a lot), I'd  recommend going all the way and doing living soil, its the logical conclusion IMO. Building the mega bed in the organic compost section is a brilliant place to learn about it, as is build a soil on youchube. Once its up and running its super low maintenance and the results speak for themselves. Feed the soil and let the worms/microherd do the work for you, trust me, they will do a better job than you (or basically anyone else).

Ecothrive do a range of products that make it a lot more approachable, I'm a total fan boy, everything of theirs I try is bang on, and Gareth is a nice bloke. If you started soon with other plants then you'll have plenty of time to nail it down and get the soil really going strong before you need another Ganja crop.

Chilli's are good to practice on, they can be a bit temperamental so teach you the balance between neglect and "fussing" over them too much. 

Read read read and watch watch watch, then do do do nothing is better than doing you're own research and getting practical experience, it sticks in your head better IME.

Yes! maybe i dont have my phrasing right yet but you just described what i hope to do. Ill go check out those resources. Thanks for tip re chillies too

My space is limited. i use a 1x1x2m tent. i could potentially stretch to 1.2m but no more. I hope that wont prove a barrier. 

• Like 1

Its a shame ,but im not going to be able to go this route. Its not cos im scared of creepy crawlies though! I minimise risk by minimising the number of grows. I can see from what im reading that I could easily have a mediocre grow or two before i get up to speed. If prohibition ends Ill defo give this a go but until then i think i might have to stick with the quick and dirty coco grows. Ill keep reading up on it cos its the way t go, so hopefully i will at some point. thanks