DIY lighting using flood lights

RUFUS HOUND

Hi, wondering if anybody has used led flood lights as grow lights and if you have, was it a success or failure.

you can get a 12000lm 100W flood for £30 ish 

• Like 1

Its the spectrum your looking for and efficiency....you can string a load of Phillips together and just cut the plastic diffuser off if you want to do it on the cheap.

They do them in 2K right up to 6K......you could chop and change them through the grow lol 

Professional horticulture lighting is a lot safer, easy to assemble and the route I would suggest....the prices on DIY boards are tumbling and they just keep getting better.

Edited by zen-ken
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, zen-ken said:

Its the spectrum your looking for and efficiency....you can string a load of Phillips together and just cut the plastic diffuser off if you want to do it on the cheap.

I recently bought a couple of domestic LEDs for my little clone/seedling/early veg box. (14 x 18 x 27 inches.)

They are blowing away any other similar light I've played around with for that purpose.

They are by a company called LyvEco. 24 watts each, 4000k, 2452 lumens. (Bright..!!)

I've got them at 12 inches over some 1 and 2 week old auto seedlings and they are absolutely flying with a lovely squat structure. I'm suddenly going to have to create a tad more head room!

So far I've found I can pry the diffusers off all of these sort of bulbs rather than having to hack or chop.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, zen-ken said:

They do them in 2K right up to 6K......you could chop and change them through the grow lol 

Professional horticulture lighting is a lot safer, easy to assemble and the route I would suggest....the prices on DIY boards are tumbling and they just keep getting better.

Could you point me in the direction of some DIY boards

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

Could you point me in the direction of some DIY boards

I would go to Migro on insta first.....he did a really good cost comparison table....get some information to compare with.

Then look for HLG UK kits, Invisible Sun LED kits (I can personally vouch for these), Vivid LED still do kits.... all on sale (others available)

The site sponsor used to do kits, @diyleduk, but they have moved on to units (which can I also personally vouch for).

or fleabay it if your feeling brave lol 

• Like 1

On 23/04/2021 at 1:39 PM, zen-ken said:

can I ask why would CFLs with the diffuser cut off be ok to use but not the suggested 4000K flood light - just trying to learn

9 hours ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

can I ask why would CFLs with the diffuser cut off be ok to use but not the suggested 4000K flood light - just trying to learn

Phillips do LED bulbs for the house, they have a plastic diffuser on.....Never touch a CFL....they have mercury in.

Watch the Migro video on the tube.....The 4K flood light will work.

Factor the cost involved, bang for your buck and ease of use, hrs expected, efficiency etc imo 

:yep:

Edited by zen-ken

10 hours ago, RUFUS HOUND said:

but not the suggested 4000K flood light

No problem as such.

It would be an idea to say what area you are going to be covering and what head height you have to play with.

The thing with a 100w floodlight, I suspect, (if indeed it is 100w) is that you will have a powerful spotlight whereas it's probably better to spread your wattage over the space with smaller lights for better coverage.

• Like 2

I am just planning my first grow so I was looking into budget options / diy

I will be growing no more than 3 or 4 plants - just enough to keep me going over the year with a couple of grows.

Any advice on tent /cupboard size would be much appreciated as would be anything else I would need for this size grow. 

curious about the mercury hazard as people have been using CFL and fluorescents for decades including some on here - do they emit mercury when being used or only when broken, and will the plants absorb it.

Only when broken and its you that should be worried about breathing it in.....I only mention it cause I didn't want any misunderstanding.

1mx1mx2m budget set up from any grow shop or fleabay. 

Thanks - I misunderstood your reply - dont mess about with CFLs  - not dont use them. lol

out of interest how tall does a plant grow as seen grows in pc cabinets and some 5 feet high in rooms - presume depends on strain?

Edited by RUFUS HOUND