Supplementing Invisible Sun ISH100

MindSoup

On closer inspection the configuration isn't what I was expecting.

I'm not sure these are going to be suitable

large.IMG_20210505_150810_compress32.jpg

They seem (perhaps unsurprisingly) really crap quality, so I'll be sending them back. But I still need some suitable replacements if anyone knows where to look. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

I'm not sure these are going to be suitable

They'll be fine for cress I should imagine :-)

15 minutes ago, Wacky Wardrobe said:

They'll be fine for cress I should imagine :-)

Ever the optimist I was hoping for a nice little 9 watt COB. So back to the drawing board. 

• Like 1

@MindSoup Bother. By coincidence I ordered the larger versions of these exact same lights (18w & 24w) off fleaBay hoping to replace my big "dome" side lights for the next grow. Haven't taken them apart, but that is disappointing to see the LEDs in a ring around the edge rather than facing outward. Might have to return mine too...

11 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

back to the drawing board.

If your extraction can accommodate another 80ish watts I'd stick one of the aforementioned 21w 2700k bulbs off each corner of your current light and max out for flower. These ones are dimmable as is your main light I believe.

I've just hung two between my 54w cobs and I now have my lights as high as they'll go with the plants being trained super low profile below.

This is with autos on 24/7 mind. I've worked out I will want the lights no lower than about 16 inches when it comes to flower which will give me better spread from the cobs and lots more watts of red when it counts.

The bulbs I'm on about are Osram Parathom. 21w 2700k 150w equivalent 2452 lumens. I'm very impressed by them so far.

• Like 1

@Crow River Yeah its a bummer, sorry if I led you astray. I've now found some 

1-4 Pack LED COB Downlight Ceiling Lamp 7W 10W 15W 30W Dimmable Recessed Lights

They seem much more up to the job, and still much less headroom needed than a normal shape bulb. Gunna get 4 warm white (3000kish) and 4 natural white (4000kish)  as they only have 1 4pack of the warms left, but that might actually be better right?

• Like 1

Just now, Wacky Wardrobe said:

If your extraction can accommodate another 80ish watts I'd stick one of the aforementioned 21w 2700k bulbs off each corner of your current light and max out for flower. These ones are dimmable as is your main light I believe.

I've just hung two between my 54w cobs and I now have my lights as high as they'll go with the plants being trained super low profile below.

This is with autos on 24/7 mind. I've worked out I will want the lights no lower than about 16 inches when it comes to flower which will give me better spread from the cobs and lots more watts of red when it counts.

The bulbs I'm on about are Osram Parathom. 21w 2700k 150w equivalent 2452 lumens. I'm very impressed by them so far.

They sound good mate, but I'd rather have the light spread more evenly as with my lack of headroom the plants will get very close and then all hit/cold spots are exaggerated. Do you think my newest choice sounds like an Idea?

I extract from the top and have heater's on almost constantly so extra heat is no problem. 

Edited by MindSoup

Just now, Crow River said:

(18w & 24w) off fleaBay hoping to replace my big "dome" side lights

Check out Aurolite 24w bathroom lights if that's the sort of thing you're after for close quarters.

It's what I use for seedlings sat right on top of the propagator. 12" diameter with leds spread wide in a ring in my model.

4000k again. Good for squat growth at close range.

• Like 2

Just now, MindSoup said:

@Crow River Yeah its a bummer, sorry if I led you astray.

Not at all, my fault entirely. I was looking for something more low profile.

What I have decided to do instead is upgrade the main ceiling light to something more powerful, but dimmable. The current blurples will become side lighting, to cover for weak spots in coverage to the left and right as my cabinet is wider than it is deep.

I can maybe fill any remaining corners with domestic bulbs if the need arises.

• Like 1

Sounds like a plan mate, maybe some of those Samsung strips could work.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Wacky Wardrobe said:

Check out Aurolite 24w bathroom lights if that's the sort of thing you're after for close quarters.

It's what I use for seedlings sat right on top of the propagator. 12" diameter with leds spread wide in a ring in my model.

4000k again. Good for squat growth at close range.

Those are identical to what I have, except mine are 18w/1500lm and 6500k. I replaced them recently upstairs with warm white ones as the blueish light was too harsh, so had them kicking around to use. Big arrays of outward facing white LEDs, 36 each. They're over 8cm deep (24w nearly 10cm) and as a result take up too much space in the cabinet, so was looking for something lower profile. Big plastic "dome" diffuser is easy to remove (just turn anti-clockwise), but I didn't want to do that as I considered the risk of an accidental high voltage shock from the driver/LED board while switched on was too great. Also not convinced the waterproof rating holds with the diffuser removed...

Are you using yours with the diffuser removed? I have several of these so could be a good option for propagation, never thought of using them in the way you describe.

Edited by Crow River

22 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Do you think my newest choice sounds like an Idea?

They look pretty interesting, yeah.

Just now, Crow River said:

Are you using yours with the diffuser removed?

Yes. I got it from a bathroom refurb job and I didn't bother about the diffuser.

• Like 2

@Wacky Wardrobe, I can't recall what the driver output is, but let's say it's 40V and up to 300mA current. According to the internet "any current over 10 mA will produce a severe shock whereas current over 100 mA is lethal." Which is why I haven't removed the diffusers... :D

But for the propagation I suppose as long as I ensure it's switched off before handling, could be good. Will try that with next grow. Cheers for the tip!

I've ordered them, hopefully they're a bit more up to the task. The title says dimmable, but the description says not dimmable, so I've asked the seller to clarify. If it turns out they aren't I'll just stick a bit of window frosting or something over any that the plants get too close to. They're actually cheaper than the other ones. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crow River said:

@Wacky Wardrobe, I can't recall what the driver output is, but let's say it's 40V and up to 300mA current. According to the internet "any current over 10 mA will produce a severe shock whereas current over 100 mA is lethal." Which is why I haven't removed the diffusers... :D

But for the propagation I suppose as long as I ensure it's switched off before handling, could be good. Will try that with next grow. Cheers for the tip!

Definitely good to be careful, getting shocked is a horrible feeling and definitely very dangerous, but in my experience not as deadly as you might be thinking. Alongside many other incidents, I once cut through the wire on my bedside lamp with metal scissors in a fit of infantile curiosity lol . Other than a burned finger and some serious embarrassment, I was absolutely fine, thank fuck for fuses. I'd be more worried that touching it might cause it to stop working than kill me.

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2