mushroom compost

zero

I am trying to grow some mushrooms ( I say trying as its my 1st attempt) ...I bought some mushroom compost , I always thought it was like 'weak' nutes in it , but its made from sterilised horse shit and peat , struck me that it would make a good medium for canna ... anyone used it , if so , any good ? 

Mushroom compost is spent mushroom compost. It isn't for growing mushrooms. 

What it is is very hot. Its more of a fertiliser/soil improver than a base medium to be growing in. 

Fella I know spent about 400 quid at the local garden centre and potted all his nice herbaceous perennials and annuals with it pure as compost and killed the lot lol

Was telling me how good it was the day after he did it. 

I told him to be careful with it but nah. lol silly fucker 

Don't use it neat for canna whatever you do 

P.s is it agaricus bisporus your after growing as in what was growing in the compost (may get lucky and they don't sterilise the mishroom compost when it leaves and you may get a flush) or something more exotic edible wise, psychedlic even? 

Edited by blackpoolbouncer
  • Like 4

@blackpoolbouncerwow lol , I am glad I asked now , I bought it off ebay,  but because I need to keep it as sterile as poss before use I just left it in the box, and I did have every intention to try weed in it lol ...hell , I am even wondering if its a bad idea to grow mushrooms in it as opposed to coir 

• Like 1

@zero what sort of mushrooms? 

I think you possibly might need to rethink what "sterile as possible" means. In mycology sterile means sterile as in, expose to unfiltered air for seconds means its contaminated. 

Mushroom compost is only good for growing button mushrooms really but before its got to you its been pasteurised and grown several flushes of mushrooms till its spent for the job. Its not really to be reused for growing mushrooms because by the time its bagged its so massively full of contaminates. 

You would have to repasturise it really.I which would also kill all the remaining mycelium and spores and then re add fish ones once its cooled I imagine. 

Failing that, chuck it in a heap in the garden and hope for the best that there's some life left.

well , its supposedly pressure sterilized , so it will be as sterile as poss , but I plan on microwaving it with some water , ...I know about the sterile thing , the first spawn bag i had went gooey just from the sterile needle, I have a couple of spawn bags going now and they seem ok , but yeah I may re think and use coir , once I open the box I can re  check the info on it 
eta , yeah your right , its more like a soil conditioner , think I'll just use it in the garden and go with coir

@blackpoolbounceroh yeah they are mazatapec cubes , and one called 'Elephant gate' which is ( I think) quite a rare one 

Edited by zero
  • Like 1

Ahh right. Now I'm with ya. 

Your using it as a bulk substrate and have grain spawn already on the go. 

So. If your spawning to the mushroom compost you want it pasteurised not sterilised.

Best best is grab a thermometer and pillow case. If you try spawning to a completely sterile bulk sub your asking for trouble mate. 

Also bear in mind you using compost thats already had a lot of its goodness removed and crops are no longer commercially viable. It may not be completely spent but for every flush the mushroom place had is a flush you won't get. 

Presumably you don't have access to horse shit?

• Like 1

Yeah , just doing more reading on the subject , it seems most folks use coir and vermiculite , and or brown rice ,  the mushrooms dont need hardly anything except water , apparently brown rice is said to increase the potency 

If its your first time ill say the same as I do to everyone. 

Pf tek

Watch the YouTube tutorial by Roger rabbit titled "let's grow mushrooms" 

Follow it exactly using the right shape jars.

You will soon have mushrooms. 

God speed sir

• Like 4

2 hours ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

If its your first time ill say the same as I do to everyone. 

Pf tek

Watch the YouTube tutorial by Roger rabbit titled "let's grow mushrooms" 

Follow it exactly using the right shape jars.

You will soon have mushrooms. 

God speed sir

the one that went off with contamination was pf tec , the two I have now are grain , they havent collonized  as fast as the pf tek, but they look kinda 'cleaner' less moisture in the mix ... I ordered some coir and vermiculite for the fruiting box .......heres hoping mushrooms for the summer , the hit off those mazapatecs is really sorta smooth 

• Like 1

Charles Dowding has done some side by side comparisons & mushroom compost seems mediocre at best compared to your GOOD compost or home made.